Priest as manditory HQ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priest as manditory HQ

I was wondering if we can take a priest as our mandatory HQ. I know Black Templars can with their champion which does not take up FOC spot so I thought maybe we could, which would make it a little less painful to include PEs or AFs if desired.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

No King Rules Forever Dawnrunner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Sorry; it says in the rules that although Priests are considered an HQ choice, they do not take up an actual HQ slot in the force organization chart and therefore cannot count as the mandatory HQ choice.

Good thought, though.
    The Emperor set a fire in their hearts that they might burn the iniquitous and the impure from his sight. And the light of that flame shall be as a beacon to the faithful, a light that shines in the darkest places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure you can do this as they are an HQ choice. Read the Black Templars FAQ, 2nd question about the Emperor's Champion. It basically has same rules of not taking up HQ FOC slot.

Dunno if this link will work, though under Gaming on GW's site FAQ section is last option, then select Errata and FAQ on the left again.

Games Workshop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

I think the operative difference here is that the entry states that Priests may be taken in addition to any other HQ choices. If it could be taken as your mandatory choice, it would more likely say "Priests do not take up any FOC slots, but count in all other respects as normal HQ units." Also, Priests have to be attached to another unit, with the specific units it can join explicitly specified. As such, it seems to me more like a separate sergeant-type upgrade that is listed once instead of being repeated in each and every single one squad entry throughout the list.
    No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhankh View Post
    I think the operative difference here is that the entry states that Priests may be taken in addition to any other HQ choices. If it could be taken as your mandatory choice, it would more likely say "Priests do not take up any FOC slots, but count in all other respects as normal HQ units." Also, Priests have to be attached to another unit, with the specific units it can join explicitly specified. As such, it seems to me more like a separate sergeant-type upgrade that is listed once instead of being repeated in each and every single one squad entry throughout the list.
    Except they are an HQ, listed in the HQ section. And yes they may be taken in addition, not you have to have a lord or heroine to take. They simply do not take up any FOC slot leaving you room for 2 other HQs and up to 5 priests giving you a possible total 7 HQs in a Witch Hunter list.

As to the not listing in each section, that is silly, they do it for veterans and weapon upgrades all over.

Also, if they intended to have an HQ which you could not use as the mandatory HQ, they would have listed it like they do in the allies section.

BT champ is very similar, Daemons Masque is almost reverse, takes up 1/2 HQ slot and cannot be attached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a priest as a proper HQ just use thew inquisitor lord rules and give him appropiate wargera for a preist. It won't count as cheating cus you payed the points but you van use the priest model. Who knows he could be an inquisitor priest...
    You may have a grotesquely large cleaver, you may have a guargaunteous fire arm BUT I have the flames of faith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesiarch View Post
    If you want a priest as a proper HQ just use thew inquisitor lord rules and give him appropiate wargera for a preist. It won't count as cheating cus you payed the points but you van use the priest model. Who knows he could be an inquisitor priest...
    Only he actually needs a priest to field what he needs.

Newsun, I'd allow you to do it, and I'd imagine most people would. The FAQ is written generically enough to make it sound reasonable. In tournaments, though, it might be another matter entirely. Don't expect to do it in a tournament.
    Mongol General: Conan, what is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCommodore View Post
    Only he actually needs a priest to field what he needs.
    He could use the Inquisitor lord (priest) and a normal one as well. Giving him an army of priestyness
    You may have a grotesquely large cleaver, you may have a guargaunteous fire arm BUT I have the flames of faith.

+ Reply to Thread