Librarium Online Forums banner

A New Inquisitor

565 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Christojo 
#1 ·
Hello!,

For any who have seen my introduction post they already know (or have forgotten) that I'm a flip floppa. I had at one time thought I was going to be going Chaos Daemons, but now think my true Warhammer heart lies with the Inquisition. Either way I'm new to the hobby and have big hopes, just not miniatures yet.

However! This my change, so its a tuggle war between the two until I actually get some models. I have a little longer to be battling as I'm not allowed to buy anything for myself before Christmas (even though I think I deserve an early present, of course, in addition to the codex's and rulebook I bought >.>).

I was hoping someone could give me an opinion or ten on this starting army. Going for a start up of 500 points, so I can lure my friends into the hobby and crush them! (with fellow inquisitor's help ofcourse)

Like any good flip flopper I've skimmed a section or two of the rulebook and then leap frogged over to the codex, so if I'm missing or making some silly mistake, that'll probably be why. <.<

499 Points!

HQ
Ordo Herecticus Inquisitor Lord
+Power Stake
+Word of the Emperor
+Pyschic Hood
+Crusaderx2
+Chirurgeon
+Acolytex2
+Power Weaponsx2

Battle Sister Squad x4
+Bolt Pistol/Close Combat
+Veteran Superior
+Power Weapon

Battle Sister Squad x4
+Two Flamers
+Veteran Superior

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers x4
+Veteran
+Plasma Gun
+Grenade Launcher

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers x4
+Veteran
+Meltagun

Alternatively I was thinking of swapping out one acolyte power weapon for a mancatcher, and then switching power stake to evisicator.

My first opponent is pretty focused on melee (not sure which army, but probably something with alot of guys). The idea is to blast away with my stormtroopers and battle sisters until they get close. Then try to toast them abit with the flamers (two incase one gets shot down). Once they get close I'll have my bolt pistol/close combat sisters assault or prevent my shooters from being assaulted, and have my melee Inquisitor bust some heads as well.

I've kept the units in groups of five to allow more veterans and superiors, as well as to let some act as speed bumps. This way when group of stormtroopers are unfortunately assaulted, it won't bog down 10 guys, the rest of which can try to skitter away until their comrades have been eaten or stabbed, and then commense the shooting again.

Any thoughts would be swell! Until I'm sure I may also work on a Chaos Daemon 500 point list...just incase that thirst for souls sprouts again. :/

Appreciated!,
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the inquisition! I hope you do choose witch hunters, we have beautiful models, and more importantly none of our characters drool or spew puss everywhere.

On your list: for 500 points you won't get much more than an HQ choice and 2 troop choices. That said, you'll probably have to choose between sisters or stormtroopers. The minimum squad size for sisters is 10, and for stormies it's 5, so your above list won't work. If you want to save on points, a cannoness is probably the way to go. She'll be much more effective than the inquisitor, and she'll cost less with a jump pack and eviscerator. If you're stuck on the inquisitor, he has to focus on shooting to be cost effective. Usually people take these with 3 heavy bolter servitors, no psychic powers.

Taking stormtroopers or sisters is going to be a tough choice for a small force like this. On the one hand, 5 stormies don't cost much. On the other hand it'll be easy to destroy them. If you take 10 sisters, the will be very effective, especially with flamers, but then you don't have much room for anything else. People have made stormtrooper lists, but by far the most effective (and popular) list is sisters of battle. If you want info on units, try looking into the sticky post by stjohn70 at the top of the forum. Hope that helps.

#3 ·
10 is the minimum squad size for sisters - they need the numbers anyway. A transport would help them greatly.

The smaller squads don't work as well to slow people down as you might think- opponents are more willing to attack squads that won't live to fight back.
Stormies get you the squads for objective holding, but they are easy kill points and they can't hold out long. You are probably better with 6 models instead of 5 and the vet (one more to get rid of to make them nonscoring)

Your lord is a points sink i'm afraid, switch him for something more shooty or if you really want assault power then look at the seraphim (they are very very pricey at 500 pts though, you need at least 6 or 7 and a few upgrades for them to be effective)

Do you need the minimum hq & 2 troops or are you playing with different force rules for the smaller game?

#4 ·
Fo my base 500pts I have a ..

cheap cannoness (110ish points)

2 Battle sister squads on foot with heavy flamers and superiors.

A basic immolator.

And 4 basic celestians one with a Hflamer.

#5 ·
Thanks to all that responded!

I am kind of stuck on keeping the inquisitor; I really like the options for the henchmen and what not, but perhaps I can switch him to a shooty one instead.

I'm sorry I didn't manage to catch the squad size requirement on the sisters of battle. I was going to go both as it seemed to give a bit more variation to the army then just a solid Sisters of Battle army as that seems to be a bit more popular.

I may keep that list around for fluff, just incase, but I'll head back to the drawing board and come back with a legal force.

For force organization I'm thinking it will be mandatory and then anything extra.

Thanks again guys!

#6 ·
Hello again!,

I've officially joined the ranks of the Inquisition.

So now we need to get to work so we can start hunting witches. Unfortunately before I can get to those heretics, I'm going to have to deal with that melee swarming army first (orks or tyranid!).

I appreciate the setting straight of my previous list (forgot about that whole unit size requirement!), here's round two and three.

Sisters of Battle Styled Army

HQ
Canoness
+Auspex
Retinue:
+9 Celestians
+1 Superior
+Heavy Bolter
+Meltagun

Troops
Battle Sister Squad x9
+Superior

Battle Sister Squad x9
+Superior
+Rhino

Inquisitorial Style Army

HQ
Ordo Herecticus Inquisitor Lord
+Bolter
+Gun Serv x 3 - H Bolter
+The Sage
+Acolyte - Bolter
+Chirurgeon

Elite
Eversor Temple Assasin

Troops
Battle Sisters Squad x9
+Superior

Battle Sisters Squad x9
+Superior

That's the second edition of this hopeful Inquisitor's landing force when he has to swat away those pesky aliens, and perhaps to even track down some heretic.

Both lists are hoping to blast the aliens before they can get into assault range. The Sisters of Battle heavy list seems like it may be a bit better at this (along with better mobility for capturing those objectives), however inquisitors are just too darn cool looking to leave out, so I included a list with him as well (my very first unit! the daemonhunter inquisitor with the boltgun and grimoire). The inquisitor list will also be shooting as much as they can, however they'll also send in the Eversor to try and take out what it can until he's swarmed; from what I understand of the rules those pesky swarming melee guys will need to surround him as best they can, and then blow up with meltdown, hooray!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much much much appreciated.

A final question; does anyone think it would be better to use inducted Space Marines as a line of melee, or inducted guardsmen to have the option of having a swarmish style army to face this green or scaley tide? Or should these trigger happy sisters with their faith be able to do the deed?

Thanks in advance!

#7 ·
One more possibility!,

This variation seems like it'll make more faith points to begin with, as well as more troop choices to capture objectives and avoid being swarmed and held down.

Canoness
+Bolter

Celestian Retinue x4
+Superior

Battle Sister Squad x9
+Superior
Battle Sister Squad x9
+Superior
Battle Sister Squad x9
+Superior

How's that for bug or ork blastin'?

Thanks!,
A New Inquisitor

#8 · (Edited)
I'll only say something about your SOB lists, since I don't have any experience with Inquisitors on the field.

List one: 5 points above the limit. Cut it. Heavy Bolter in your Celestian squad means that will either not move and shoot (bad for melta and Canoness) or move (bad for the heavy bolter). If you want heavy bolters, put them in dedicated squads like retributors that just stand & shoot or on top of an Immolator (can be very fun with blessed ammunition). Also drop the auspex, you just won't need one. They are very limited as such, but at 500 they're pretty much useless.

List two: 6 points short, use them! You could get a flamer for that after all!

On both: If your enemy fields even a light tank you're screwed. Except for that one little meltagun in list 1 you have no chance of killing it. And with the high mobility of a vehicle he can just drive around your single melta. How about an Immolator with multimelta or an (even better) exorcist? Would strengthen you list against more heavy enemies than 'Nids or Orks, too. If he goes CC that could also mean Khorne or Blood Angels lists, after all.

If you want your list to only grill hordes, though, take list 2 and drop a squad for more options. (2 scoring units is enough for 500) Would make room for an Immolator for the Celestians and heavy flamer / flamer in every squad. Even got 5 points left for extra armor on the transport. Would mow down Orks & Nids like hell, but still got problems with tanks.

btw: can someone move this thread to the army list section?

#9 ·
This might help!

HQ
Palatine
+Bolter

Troops
Battle Sisters Squad x9
+Superior

Battle Sisters Squad x9
+Superior

Heavy Support
Retributor Squad x4
+Superior
+Heavy Bolters x4

Immolator
+Multimelta

Here we are!

With the suggestions I think I've come up with a blasty list that should wipe out those silly swarms (I hope!).

The palatine can join up with the retributor squad, or one of the sister squads at the start of the battle. Retributors will hop into the immolator and speed off to greatness, find a nice spot to set up and blast away with their heavy bolters and the multimeltas. The sisters will walk along to blast and try and capture any objectives. I hope!

Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.