Power Sword vs Lightning Claw - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Power Sword vs Lightning Claw

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lightning Claw

36 50.00%
  • Power Sword

28 38.89%
  • Remember to put an end date on polls

8 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Sword vs Lightning Claw

I see nothing about the power sword that makes it better than a lightning claw. They are both power weapons that cost the same amount of points, except that the claw can reroll failed rolls to wound. Is there any way, as far as practicality is concerned, that a power sword is better than a lightning claw?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Yes, you can combine power swords with pistols to gain an extra attack and retain some shooting ability.

Lightning claws only gain the attack when a second claw is taken. Doing this can get expensive and usually replaces ranged weapons.
    Last edited by qsd; December 3rd, 2008 at 07:10.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by qsd View Post
    Yes, you can combine power swords with pistols to gain an extra attack and retain some shooting ability.

Lightning claws only gain the attack when a second claw is taken. Doing this can get expensive and usually replaces ranged weapons.
    This would be the reason right here. If you decide to take a model with a ranged weapon such as a combi-weapon or something like that, as opposed to a pistol, the you should feel free to take the Lightning Claw as it has no downsides; however, if the model in question is armed with a pistol, wielding a Power Weapon will confer the bonus attack, while the Lightning Claw will not. So it becomes a situation where you're comparing an extra attack, or rerolls to wound; both have their merits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yuppers. I have both in my army, depending whter or not you are looking for a support unit or a hard hitting close combat god depends on what i take. There's not much use for taking just one lightning claw, in most cases a power weapon is the way to go. But a lightning claw isn't a bad choice, and i've ever considered putting one on my bike sergeant. Really it's down to preferance and the current wargear that the given model is already using.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Adding digiweapons to a power sword guy can give you the best of both worlds. You keep the extra attack for a bolt pistol and also get to reroll a (single) failed wound.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Theres also the problem that one LC on a model just looks weird........imo if you are going to take a LC take them in pairs.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

If you take a LC, you may as well include your bolter or pick up a combi-weapon to make the most of it. With re-rolling to wound, LCs end up performing about as well as power weapons if not better.

vs. MEQs
    LC charging = 3 attacks x 1/2 (4+ to hit) = 1.5 hits x 3/4 (4+ to wound w/ re-roll) = 1.125 dead
    PW charging = 4 attacks x 1/2 (4+ to hit) = 2 hits x 1/2 (4+ to wound) = 1 dead

vs. GEQ
    LC charging = 3 attacks x 2/3 (3+ to hit) = 2 hits x 8/9 (3+ to wound w/ re-roll) = 1.778 dead
    PW charging = 4 attacks x 2/3 (3+ to hit) = 2.667 hits x 2/3 (3+ to wound) = 1.778 dead

vs. Carnifex (T6)
    LC charging = 3 attacks x 2/3 (3+ to hit) = 2 hits x 11/36 (6+ to wound w/ re-roll) = .611 wounds
    PW charging = 4 attacks x 2/3 (3+ to hit) = 2.667 hits x 1/6 (6+ to wound) = .444 wounds

Oh dear, it appears the LC performs better against MEQs and MCs and the same against GEQs. So, based on this, a LC wins out as it will do better against nearly everything. PWs would do better against grots, but that's about it.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    If you take a LC, you may as well include your bolter or pick up a combi-weapon to make the most of it. With re-rolling to wound, LCs end up performing about as well as power weapons if not better.

Oh dear, it appears the LC performs better against MEQs and MCs and the same against GEQs. So, based on this, a LC wins out as it will do better against nearly everything. PWs would do better against grots, but that's about it.
    Keep in mind that on the turn you charge, you can still fire your pistol. Unless you're taking a combi-melta, you can't fire the turn you charge. So if you take a bolter w/ your Lightning claw, you will do less kills on the turn you charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Right, so either keep the pistol to shoot and charge, stick with the bolter if you want to shoot and take a charge, or use a combi-weapon.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I like lightning claws overall better than power swords, only my line officers take power swords (if I can't afford a fist) but in my command squads everyone has a flamer and a lightning claw w/1 guy with a fist. That makes for a good troops killing unit.

And I kinda like the look of a singe claw actually, although I plan on converting a bunch of guys to have a storm shield and a lightning claw with built in flamer although in game I'd probably rarely use a storm shield.

Also if I don't have the points for a fist for my sternguard I give him a lightning claw as that way I can keep the bolter without losing effectiveness.
    Last edited by MadLarkin; December 3rd, 2008 at 20:15.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast