blood angels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blood angels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blood angels

Ok so my friend has started looking at playing 40k and his eye has been attracted to space marines. (via black reach) I noticed while playing that he really enjoyed the assault phase and so I showed him blood angels. He likes them but i really dont know much about BA's so I need some help. What does a normal BA army list have in an army? Is the list viable in tournaments? What kind of HQ do you use? if you dont use a special character what do you equip your HQ with? I guess overall what is the first steps he should take to begin playing blood angels?

Deumus

PS I was thinking about fielding my dark angels army as an ordinary space marine army is this a good idea? Is this better in a tournament?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically BA's can go two ways, one would be a healthy amount of jump pack troops as they can take them as troops (or just assault marines in general) or you can throw everyone in supercharged rhinos that move 18' a turn.

As for HQ in bigger games its not uncommon to see Daunte with a tooled up honor guard or some of the other special characters and in smaller games Chaplains seem to be a lot more common. However, its been a long while since i played BA's so correct me on any of this if I'm wrong. BA's can be really fun and rewarding to play but tournament armies tend to lean toward shooting everything to hell, I'm not saying one is better than the other just what I've seen.

As for your DA's I would say the new space marine codex is much more competitive and I would definitely make the switch over. That is unless you like the DA special characters of which the new codex has none...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I play both the new codex and BA. BA are totally competitive against the new codex. I run a chaplain with Death Company. Dante and Honor guard. A veteran assault squad of 6 men. I run three 5-man assault squad with a power fist and One plasma pistol. I run a 10 man tac squad witha rhino. I run a 10 man dev squad with 2 LC and 2 PC and I split it into combat squads. I run 2 attack bikes with Multi-meltas and a baal predator. I have 6 squads with jump packs. 5 scoring units. Plenty of anti-armor, and the death company and Honor Guard tear everyone up in CC. It is a very good army. I played BA in the Ard Boyz and I ran Dante and Corbulo in tandem, using a turbo-boosting rhino to keep Corbulo up front near Dante. It was SICK!

I love BA almost as much as I love my Ultramarines.
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, here some general Blood Angels tactics for 5th Edition:

1) In games with a low point limit, Chaplain Lemartes is a steal as he only costs 5 points more than a normal Chaplain, but gets better fighting skills, an additional wound, and a Death Mask.

2) The Death Company is normally being played with jump packs as you want them to go into assault directly.

3) Up to a limit of 1'000 to 1'500 points it makes sense to play a jump pack heavy list, beyond this limit you want to switch to Tactical Squads or you're outnumbered too heavily.

4) The deadliest Blood Angels HQ combo is Lord Dante going together with Brother Corbulo. When not allowed to play special characters I play a Captain combined with a Chaplain. (I always have a Chaplain or Corbulo to keep my Death Company in check)

5) The Veteran Assault Squad is the most powerful Marine Assault squad in the game, so you want to have one of those as well. I suggest flamers and lightning claws for the charge.

6) Although Blood Angels can deal a lot of damage in close combat, they MUST have heavy support. Depending on your point budget, look at Baal Predators, Razorbacks, Vindicators or Land Raiders. Although the Baal Predator can turbocharge and is meant for close combat by Games Workshop, most Blood Angels players equip them with heavy bolters sponsons and leave them stationary to fire away.

All the things I explained above are perfectly fine for tournaments. If I started on Blood Angels again, I'd buy at te store two Assault Squads, the box with five Death Company, Chaplain Lemartes, and a Baal Predator first. With that you've got a solid Blood Angels core army.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

I played my BA last night against Eldar. I had 3 assault squads of 5 space marines and a 10 man tac squad which I split into two. I had 10 man dev squad which I split into 2. One had 2 lascannons and one had plasma cannons. I had 2 attack bikes with multi-melta. I had a regular chaplain (I should've run Lemartes!!) and 6 death company. I had a Veteran assault squad, and an honor guard, and a baal. The mission was to control 4 objectives.

My opponent had 2 wraith lords, 10 wraith guard, the Avatar, 20 guardians and 10 dire avengers, 10 swooping hawks and 8 striking scorpions. He had several warlocks in his list too. He also had 5 of the long-range shooters with S5 AP3 weapons. Dark reapers I think.

I tried to out-assault the avatar. No luck there. My baal pred lived the whole game and that AP4 goodness was awesome (I ran with HB sponsons, but I can switch them out for the HF). I ended up winning, but my honor guard got spanked by a close combat Wraith Lord. With no power fist they could not hurt it. I took it out with a thunder hammer and some death company rending.

All the advice stated above by Parcival is solid gold, except at 2000 point games I still like my assault squads, but I back them up with tacticals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Dante + Corbulo = everything in 12" re-rolls hits and has furious charge. It's a fairly common character combo for 2K games. The Honour guard are kinda pricey and not all that worth it, but the Death company are fairly resilient and just plain mean.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

I love to run the honor guard. They are very pricey, but I think it is fluffy to have them when I run Dante, but just fun to play on other occasions too. I painted them all gold, so they are a bit "gaudy".
    Last edited by 4theEmperor!; December 5th, 2008 at 19:05. Reason: took out a superfluous word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEmperor! View Post
    except at 2000 point games I still like my assault squads, but I back them up with tacticals.
    I completely agree with you.

For the first 1'000 points, I am taking two Assault Squads. After that, I take a Tactical Squad in a Rhino for every additional 500 points. For added punch I fill the remaining points with tanks and Dreadnoughts.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

+ Reply to Thread