Are your opponents afraid of ratlings? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Are your opponents afraid of ratlings?

To me snipers don't seem to be a ery useful weapon in the 41st milenium, yet every time I use ratlings my opponent concentrates most (or all) of his firepower against them. I've had games against people who direct all of their fire at my little hobbits until they die. In one game for example 1500 points against chaos marines. Turn one all his fire was aimed at the ratlings. Turn two he directed all his fire against the ratlings again, wee almost. They died and his 8 man squad with a heavy bolter shot at one of my command squads. I had first turn so this gave me almost 3 shooting phases uninterupted. Needless to say I won that game. Are the people around you afraid of little frodo and his gun? Are you yourself afraid of snipers?

IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well snipers have there uses depending on the army you are playing, your opponents army, and the standard armament of your troops. For guard they are decent, considering marines, crons, monsterous creatures, battlesuits, wraithlords, chaos lords, daemons, etc. Used properly they can be the best weapon of choice against some targets. Granted they don't have the punch of other heavy weapons, but the ability to spam them in some squads as a ratling squad can be a good strength. Also with a 36" range, and the chance of pinning is a plus also. As far as ratlings being feared though? I can't say i've ever seen a squad of ratlings and said woe is me i must do all i can to kill them. I mean they aren't rangers...and despite their abilities a flamer does them in.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I don't think my enemies are afraid of ratlings. I think they're in league with them! Ratlings are filthy stinking abhumans. Don't use them or your soul will be damned forever. The Emperor does not find favor in thier perversion of the perfect human form.
    Hatred of the impure is the only proper mindset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen to that. Death to the mutant. My witch hunters do not look kindly upon them. Although my opponent might like it if i were to flame one of my own squads in game that'd be interesting.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    273 (x3)

Death to the abhumans!! I myself use a ten man squad of very weak (str2) catachan snipers. I'll have no one under 5'10" in my army!
    I do love the snipers. I think everyone has seen, at some point, a wriathlord or carnifex go down in one good round of shooting to snipers. Its not common, but the threat is enough to ensure that most assault squads will make time for a little hobbit hacking on their way to other objectives. For this reason, they do make great distractions. Set them up in a corner away from your gun line and watch enemy resources take a long hike to deal with 'em.
    -J
    The Anti Abhumon(key)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Daemon Prince is VERY afraid of the Ratlings at 18+ inches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Ah yes, Ratlings, the C'tan killers

Well considering that each shot has a ~11.11% chance to rend its target, a squad of 10 ratlings will do some damage to anything that ventures into their fire lane out of cover.

The new sniper rules gave a very nice boost to our small cousins, and it has made them one of the better sniper units in the game (eat it, SM scout snipers!).

Just infiltrate them in 4+ cover, but far back from the bulk of this force (ideally out of bolter range) and start sniping. If they start throwing a ton of fire at your rats, then go to ground and take those sweet 2+ cover save

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

They don't start out afraid, but then they get more concerned as they start taking hits...

i will stay and fight Sealancer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Any time you can kill a unit that can be a pain in the arse like ratlings would be a good thing to opponents. They see the word "sniper rifle" and immediately prioritize them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not used, or for that fact even seen a squad of Ratlings in any Guard armies in my area, since 5ht Ed though I've been considering adding a squad and running a few test games just to see what they are able to do. I have found that the word 'sniper' throws fear into most opponents hearts and they immediately make them a priority target. Even if the Snipers don't do a whole lot in the way of killing they are taking the heat from something else that might actually be more of a threat, and hey if they leave the snipers/ratlings alone then make them remember why they should fear a sniper.
    No prayers for November
    To linger longer
    Stick your spoon in the wall
    We'll slaughter them all
    -Tom Waits November

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast