Leman Russ for Sisters? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leman Russ for Sisters?

So im thinking of taking a Leman Russ for my mech-sister squad, i already have a Exorcist, but i want to pack a lil more heavy punches into my 1850 squad. I just got the Leman Russ, so i wanted to know what specs would be the best overall...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a reminder

I too run a Russ with my sisters my current set up is
    Track guards, sponson heavy bolters, las cannon, battle cannon

as a side note you know you need to also run either 2 platoons or 2 Amoured fists or one of each in ordre to qualify for the russ (which is not bad)

As an example heres my 1850 list

Cannones& retinue in immolator
    3 BSS
    2 armoured fist squads(I use Auto cannon/Plasma)
    6 man seraphim squad squad.
    Russ as abve
    Exorcist

This list tied a competive ork list, trounced necrons, narrowly beat godzilla, got trounced by Tau goes the panzies would not stand still, and fought to a stand still groun pounding eldar ( all in 5th).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine0986 View Post
    So im thinking of taking a Leman Russ for my mech-sister squad, i already have a Exorcist, but i want to pack a lil more heavy punches into my 1850 squad. I just got the Leman Russ, so i wanted to know what specs would be the best overall...
    Russes are good, but before the Russ I advise a second Exorcist.
    Exorcists work a lot like Rooks in tandem. Alone they are a good
    response, but in sets of two, they are an absolute response.
    Why?
    1 D6 missiles can easily roll a 1 or 2, and both can possibly whiff with statistical ease.
    When you add the second Exorcist, the odds of one successful hit vs most vehicles
    rise from fair to a near guarantee.

The best defense is frequently a good offense.

Not that a Russ isn't good. It is.
    But it brings a lot of contingencies along with it.
    I really don't like the stats/cost of the Chimera.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Yes, and going with two full Platoons of IG... Let's wait for their next Dex (which might by the way remove AF altogether I hear and use Chimeras more like transports for squads)... Although we took a 1K list with 500pts in those three IG choices to Adepticon and it did really well (that was 4th Ed though).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

...but it is a great excuse to model a very nice Russ, unlike all the other ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
    Yes, and going with two full Platoons of IG... Let's wait
    Yep. IG platoons are so outdated, it's silly to use them.
    One platoon might introduce a couple of usable heavy weapons and some cheap scoring units.

But a second platoon? Not good. Cumbersome, junky, brittle.
    Even with doctrines, they are usually not viable.
    Last edited by Red Zinfandel; December 8th, 2008 at 07:24.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I agree with Red Zin, get another Exorcist before you get a Russ. single, they can be pretty unreliable, and easy to avoid. Worked in tandem, they become a lot more of an effective threat.

When I want a Russ (they make a good fire magnet), I go with an Armored Company concept, and try to be putting down 7-8 tanks.

Rather than the platoon, I prefer the cheaper (in points costs) Armored Fist. for about 160-170 pts, you can get a Chimera w/multilaser and HBolter not a bad combo. then you get 10 warm bodies with sweaters to fire an autocannon or Missile launcher. (autocannon was my 4th ed choice, in 5th, ML might be just as good, if not better.

I like the lineup of having:
    1 Leman Russ with 3Hbolters
    2 Exorcists
    2 Chimera w/Multilaser Hbolter
    2-3 rhinos
    Jumpy Cannoness

this is in 1500pts. If I remember correct, it gives me a little room to have either an anti-tank Seraphim squad, or a DH Inq. Lord anti-DS anti-psyker shooty retinue. With all of the tanks, I'm usually more likely to want the Inq. Lord. I tend to play the WH Armored Company in a more static fashion, shifting to get fire lanes, and parked in cover. It gives you some decent firepower, decent Anti-tank, and some fast, reactionary troop choices. Another plus is that it should saturate your opponent's anti-tank. It can be tough with 2-3 anti tank choices to knock out that many tanks. It can make target priority a bit tricky. Heck, you might even get catcalls of 'cheese' (I have) out of people. but you'll have a significant chunk of troop choice there.
    At 1850, you might even be able to get a LandRaider as a transport for the Inq. Lord fit in there, and go for the gouda!

Overall, it's a build I think can be a lot of fun to play. I think that once the IG book gets re-vamped, this list will get a whole new breath of fresh air, and be even better. I still recommend it for a try now, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone considered that if armoured fist squads and platoons might not exist in the new dex, that DH and WH players won't be able to put guardsmen in our army at all?

Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Always always always! get another exorcist before a Leman Russ, the problem with the Leman Russ is that too get it you have to buy about 300 points worth of guardsmen to get it which don't play well with sisters of battle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Ready4anything View Post
    Has anyone considered that if armoured fist squads and platoons might not exist in the new dex, that DH and WH players won't be able to put guardsmen in our army at all?

Just a thought.
    Yes - 4 posts above you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast