Elite Inquisitor...A little musing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Elite Inquisitor...A little musing

So, here I am playing around on LO and looking through my Witch Hunters codex. I was looking at various list that people were running and noticed a couple that even though most of the list is Adepta Sororitas, a few people would take an Inquisitor as an elite choice so that Death Cult Assassins could be taken as well. To most people and my self, it is thought to no be worth it after all.

I was thinking, "What can you do with a 20 pt Inquisitor?" Looking through the henchmen page something caught my eye; "The warrior". More specifically, "The Veteran Guardsman." A ten point model can for ten more points take a Plasma Gun? Awesome! He can shoot the things at a BS of 4 and has a 4+ sv instead of 6.

Well I am off and running with this Idea and can only think as to how I can make this set up more powerfull. How about adding in two Sages? Now you're Inqusitor gets a BS 5 and will hit almost anything, but more importantly you will get to reroll one to hit that missed. Plama guns get hot! I have lost many of my own firers to the dice gods, but how about a second chance? The Sages will take out the sting that the plasmas will give you.

Lets play with the Inquisitor. I was thinking a combi plasma, or maybe power armour for a better save. Since this is not the "Assault build" of the normal Inquisitor setup, you have no need to stick these guys in a Land raider. A Rhino will do just fine. The Inquisitor has a fun little trick with a rhino in this case. Take the pschic power "Purgatus". It can only be used on a independant character, but that more than fine. If you pull it off as the Emperor wishes you to, you now not only have a squad raining down plama hate at a large baddie (Carnifex, Daemon Prince, Avatar, C'tan...), but you get the chance to take that rhino of yours that was transporting Inqusitor and retinue and send it charging at the large beasty who now has minus three to it's leadership. Tank shock on a 8+ = good. Take a laud hailer and you will be shocking on a 7+ = Very statiscally probable.

There you have it. The ZMB special. I know for a mere six models it is a tad bit hefty on the points side of things, but look at it from the point of view of a comparible set up. I play Chaos a lot and love Plasma Guns. I LOVE them. I took out a Avatar first turn with just four combi plasmas. They are expensive, but not for Ordo Hereticus. For chaos plasma guns cost 15 pt's for henchmen a mere ten. Chaos will have to put them on Havocs that are 15 pt's per model over our ten. The Karmoon Terminator set up uses all combi-plasmas and I for one am willing to take these and live with the possibility of having my now 35 point model die at the fate of rolling a 1 for Gets hot.

Inquisitor with Combi-plasma and Purgatus = 50
    Henchmen :
    Sage x 2 = 20
    Veteran Guardsmen x3 with Plasma Guns = 60
    Rhino with Laud Hailer = 60

Total: 190

Vs

Chaos Havoc's x6 with 4 plasma guns = 150
    rhino = 35 (So much cheaper than ours....oh well...we will get a new dex some day.)

total = 185

Very comparable and a very similar set up that is in my experience extremely effective. You could in fact min max the Inquisitor a bit and add another Henchman. I would like to further this build to make it even more powerfull, so any imput will be well noted and thanx will be given.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a sucker for the Inquisitors, and though I haven't started getting models just yet I know I'm going to want at least one in an army. I'm looking towards starting a 500 point army first, and this does sound interesting.

What do you think of making him a Lord instead, and perhaps adding an acolyte or two to soak up any wounds you really don't want him to take and to equip with combi plasmas as well. With a little luck your acolytes will have used up their plasma shots before they start taking bullets for your inquisitor.

With this build you should still be able to afford two ten-women squads of Sisters with superiors for a 500 point army.

Any thoughts? I'm starting to like the idea for my starting army; the lord spitting out plasma right and left while the sisters bark bolter shells!

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

I did think od using a lord but I personally think it will work best for a Elite inqusitor. The way that I see it is that when you are dealing with plasma spewing death you want to go all the way and on the cheap (or as cheap as you can make it as people tend to do die with plasmas.). It can work though, Twenty five points get you one more wound, one more attack, and one two more two leadership. You will be able to field more henchmen, but you are really going to start having a costly HQ choice. For 500 points, I would have to say, go with the cannoness. She is cheap and effective. Even more so then anything you will be able to get out of an inquisitor for such few points. I am seeing the unit that I posted above as having the ability of going into many lists. It can be done for as little as little as 100 points and will be a scary thing in an foot slogging army.

In a 500 point list, and you really want to run with an inquisitor you will really have to min-max that sucker. I would guess prehaps two or three henchmen max, but this is a subject for a different thread all together. You should post it and who knows what you or some else may come up with. Many people run small witch hunter lists as an all metal army is harder to collect than most.

I hope I am some help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have an interesting idea there. The abundance of plasma would definitely be a nice addition to the force. However, I really think that a lord would be much more effective here, especially given the purgatus power. The problem with an elite inquisitor is the lower leadership value. First, you'll have to test that lower leadership every time you use purgatus. Second, purgatus compares the leadership of the psyker and its target. How many IC's are there that have a ld lower than 9? You'll have to roll higher than your opponent almost every IC you target. If you're really stuck on the elite inquisitor, you could add in a clexus assassin to soften up the target's ld before you unleash purgatus...but that'll push the points up quite a bit.

One thing that I have considered that you may find interesting is a "pacifist" inquisitor. Take a lord with the divine pronouncement power instead of purgatus, then you can push troops off of objectives without firing a shot. Because of DP's special rule, the lord's high ld will help you immensely since I don't think any troop choice has a ld as high as his. I haven't really decided what would be a good retinue for this kind of inq. A rhino, maybe throw in a clexus, what else? Of course any fearless unit will be immune to this glorious tactic... *sigh* I'd really like to try it someday though.

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

Since LO forums have been down for a while I have had a little bit of time to think about what was written by my self. I do like the Idea of an Inquisitor HQ doing all of the plasma stuff and the Elite Inquisitor will have to drop Purgatus. I am redisent to try the purgatus trick as it only does effect independant characters. The thing is, is that most independant characters moe than likely have fearless I would think. It is viable with the Inqusitor lord and would be fun to try.

I think if you want to go on the cheap then have the bare bones of a Vet-Inqisitor setup. IE...elite inquistor w/ combi-plama, 3x vet-guard, 2x sage and thats it.

The inqusitor lord on the other hand could be more of a multipurpose tool with this setup, but you end up getting expensive fast. I think with both setups, they should have only one gaol in mind and that is to throw out masses of plasma death out at the desired heretics and not to try to make them be ready for all situations as you will end up with a 300 pt HQ choice or elite unit at the end of things. I like the idea of the culexus assassin, but you are right as it would end up be very very expensive.

Is there any way to take this setup any further? Any items or squads that will synergize with this setup? I am trying to breach the monotany of the normal Sob, Sob, Sob, Can, Serephim Exor.. list that is everywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only a wee inquisitor with hopes of a grandiose army (that hasn't begun to be assembled yet...but the 25th approaches!) but I'll attack my codex with a calculator and some thought and try to come up with something. I'd really rather field an inquistor lord, retinue and some troops over a pure sisters of battle force. If possible I'd prefer storm troopers too, but that seems to be going abit too far into the 'possibily getting beaten up easily' turf, I think. My first opponent appears to be either tyranid or ork, so throwing globes of plasma around sounds like a nice idea for the bigger units.

Keep posting!

+ Reply to Thread