New Imperial guard codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Imperial guard codex

Hey all, I was thinking about the rumours of the new IG codex, and it makes me sad, I REALLY REALLY like the current one because it's so awesome. So riddle me this, why do you think GW would redo such an awesome codex instead of one that sorely needs it? Like Necrons (not that you can have a good army with them, but it's so boring, theres hardly any variety) or Daemon Hunters (who are still good but very outdated) or even Space Marines! (okay that last one was a joke).

What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Riddle me this: Why does any company do anything, really, when you get right down to it?

The filthy lucre, mate. Simple as.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

To make money of course.
    New codex and new models means more sales.
    I will be buying this new codex, so that is about €22.50 right there!
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Our current codex is horrible in 5th. It is from the tail end of 3rd, it *needs* an upgrade.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

When you have had a usable codex for 5 years I think it's time for an upgrade. There are many new things that we simply don't have access to. I don't see GW getting rid of things wholesale more adapting them to work in the new edition.

For example points cost changes are pretty much neither here nor there they are adapted to the usefulness in the new rules either making something more competitive or getting rid of some loophole.
    Also the doctrines, there are loads which are so rarely used I mean I've lost track of the number of armies using mech, droptroops, iron discipline and COD. I think all of these will be in the new codex in some form or other either as character upgrades or differing platoons.

Just my take on things really.

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs an upgrade? Yes I agree. With Marines getting cheap transports you are almost sure to see that, which will help mech lists. Really it'll be a blessing to have a new codex. But As with the marine codex the ability to retain a real personal and more unique touch to your army will disapear. I really enjoy the doctrines, but then again i'll pass my judgement on it come the release of the codex. Until then I'm going to take full advantage of what we have before they decide to make the guard a cookie cutter army too.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see the pros and cons to what GW is doing and the way they are doing it. From my point of view Guard, Daemonhunters and Necrons do need the update but in all honesty the codex that needs the update the most would be the Dark Eldar. Most of the other above mentioned codecies (Is that proper plural?) may not work great but they do still work in a much better form than DE. My personal view is that DE should be at the top of the list for 2009 for updates. I understand there are a smaller amount of DE players out there so it may not have priority at the same time a number of those DE playes have dropped the army because it is so out of date and inaccessible in relation to 5th Ed (and even the latter parts of 4th Ed)

As a Guard player I can see where the Doctrines can be a hindrance in some cases but they do add a uniqueness to an army that does make it your own. On the other hand the Doctrines can make things incredibly confusing at times when trying to sort out rules and variations of in relation to your Guard army. Streamlining the Guard is a good idea but at the same time I feel it has to be carefully done in order to allow players to still field unique forces that they will want to play.
    No prayers for November
    To linger longer
    Stick your spoon in the wall
    We'll slaughter them all
    -Tom Waits November

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

why do you think GW would redo such an awesome codex instead of one that sorely needs it?
    I suspect the order of Codex revision depends upon the popularity of the army as well as it datedness, not to mention some backroom politics. It'll be interesting to see the degree to which GW takes Codex Creep and template-style army choices, but I digress.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxANT View Post
    Our current codex is horrible in 5th. It is from the tail end of 3rd, it *needs* an upgrade.
    Wow. Couldn't agree less - if anything, it needs to be toned down! A strong, well played guard army can massacre pretty much everything else out there at the moment.

I kinda agree with you, Ready4anything, I do believe that there are several other armies out there that need a new codex much more than IG.

On the other hand, I'm always a fan of new shiny things. And if IG get a new codex, it means they will also be getting lots of new shinyness! So in that frame of mind, I'm looking forward to it.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to? I think that there's a strong possibility that the large variation of army styles may fall by the wayside. Which would be a shame! I just hope I can still successfully run my Skitarii in a fanatical close assault army style.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaver Junkie View Post

Only thing I'm not looking forward to? I think that there's a strong possibility that the large variation of army styles may fall by the wayside. Which would be a shame! I just hope I can still successfully run my Skitarii in a fanatical close assault army style.
    Make way for the Cookie Cutters of Death.....all shall fear my Cookie Cutters.
    No prayers for November
    To linger longer
    Stick your spoon in the wall
    We'll slaughter them all
    -Tom Waits November

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast