Librarium Online Forums banner

Using assassins

1K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  MaxDv 
#1 ·
What are the most effective ways to use assassins in an IG army and which should I use.

At what point level should I include one in my list.

#2 · (Edited)
Im not the expert on this, but it will all depend on who you are fighting and what kind of army you have for which one you take.

For how effective they are depends on how you use them.

For the points, I wouldnt take one in a game under 1500 points but the ideal point cost would probably be 2000. That should give you enough for the assassin and the Inquisitor and any other units you want to take along too.

Personally, if I were to take an assassin, I would take a Vindicare with the Exitus rifle just because its a badass model.

#3 ·
Indeed, in a 2k game assassin's are very viable, especialy my favorite the callidus assassin. She's kinda like the scalpel in the army to remove the one nuisance that the blunt and numerous IG can't reach. The word in your ear rule is very useful for getting fragile target out of cover and the neuro shredder does a great job at taking out most units, except for maybe necrons and daemons.

Althought this obliges you to take an inquisitor lord, he's still a good investment. Extremly customised and can have great psychic powers as well as a psychic hood.

#4 ·
Althought this obliges you to take an inquisitor lord, he's still a good investment. Extremly customised and can have great psychic powers as well as a psychic hood.
Taking an assasin doesn't mean you have to take an inquisitor lord, taking one means you must include an inquisitor. Sure you can only ally one elites choice from the witch hunter or daemonhunter codex, but you could take a WH inquisitor and a DH assasin or the other way around.

#8 ·
The Callidus and Eversor assassins are the most popular picks by Guardmen due mainly to Guard needing the help in close combat. The Vindicare is not a bad choice as he can single out models, but aside from that he doesn't do anything a Ratling or lascannon wouldn't. I would sooner use Grey Knights for a CC assist rather than assassins. They give much more reliable performance for a roughly similar points cost.

The Culexus needs a rework. He would be amazing except psykers don't generally lead charges in his specific direction.

#14 ·
I've been looking at setting up a Inq in my army for the assasin option (Eversor sounds nice and nasty....good ol' bomb in the intestines...hehehe) and had been wondering about the options for the I's retinue, sounds like some of the options presented here have solved that problem.

The anti-deepstrike package sounds like it could work out well seeing as DeepS is a widely used option by armies in my area.

#20 ·
Wrong. Space Marines and any of it's variants can take allies just like the IG. It's clearly explained in the DH and WH codices.

The funny thing is that the inquisition can also take take IG or SM (not both) and they're considered Allied Space Marines and Inducted imperial Guards. Imperial Guard...always getting the short end of the stick....

#22 ·
There is rumor that the Deathwatch are supposed to be coming back (at least from what I've heard) since there's a chance, in the distant future, that Ordo Xenos is finally going to be getting a codex of their own.
I really don't know how concrete any of that actually is but if it does happen there is a chance for additional allies.

Again don't put much weight in it at least at this point.

#24 ·
"A word in the ear" special rule is AMAZING 1 game i used it to turn a tank around backwards, my sentinel takes 1 shot and pops it first turn. not to mention the assasin does some pretty amazing things himself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.