Starting 40k with the Sisters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Starting 40k with the Sisters

I've been playing 40k for many years with my Tau and more recently Tyranid forces, and enjoying a great deal of success. The nerdy kids I hang out with at college and I were talking about 40k today, and a girl who regularly plays C'thulu with us piped in and said that 40k sounds like a lot of fun. We listed off the various races and a few of their defining attributes, and she likes the idea of playing a non-mainstream list (flying nuns in power armour with flamethrower pistols screaming "For the EMPRAHHHHH" did a lot for her too, and nobody in the area plays Witch Hunters).

So here's the run down. She's unfamiliar with the game systems, but she's familiar with similar systems so she should be able to pick it up relatively quickly. We're all college students, she's a freshman with a part time job in the cafeteria so she's got a little extra cash to spend. I was thinking it'd be good to start with a 500 point force with a 1000 point force in mind to aim for. I'm only barely familiar with the force, but a commander (I believe Sister Superior or Cannoness?) Two troops squads, a Seraphim squad, and the Sisters equivalent of a Devastator squad. Make me a strong list that's forgiving to beginners and uses a variety of units so she can find the types of units she likes. Thanks a bunch guys!

My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay she needs a..
    -Palatine with a combi-stake crossbow=45 points
    -3 penitent engines= 240 points
    -Sisters repentia with 4 repentia's and mistress=110 points
    -3 arco-flagellants=105 points

Now shes set to rock any army in her path...nasty lil army they can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id say start her off with

Palantine - But not too tooled up
    10x Sisters w/ Superior Storm Bolter
    10x Sisters w/ Superior Storm Bolter
    6x Dominion 4xMelta Gun
    Immolator

This lets her have all but elites choice or maybe start with an inquisitor and get some assassins on the go

Inquisitor Lord
    - Power Weapon
    - Bolt Pistol
    - Familiar
    - 2xCrusaders (the idea being its mildly assualty)

Evesar Assassin (Cheap and assualty)

10x Sisters w/ Superior Storm Bolter (Mildy Shooty and has Faith points)
    10x Sisters w/ Superior Storm Bolter (Mildy Shooty and has Faith points)

6x Dominion 4xMelta Gun (Anti Tank)

Immolator (Anti Horde)

This would give her one selection from each catagory and a vehicle to play with, i also think it would be a nice start for an army since u need the troops choices, it fits the fiery death idea fairly well and isnt too cheesey as a starting list. (obviously id start with the inquisitor and the sisters squads and maybe the assassin.

If she likes modelling and wants an all female army she can convert some models up too so she gets a taste of the other side of the hobby
    I came, I typo'd, I editted
    Orc / Empire / Deamon WFB (indecisive)
    Crimson Fists approaching 10 undefeated at 1500

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Palatine is one of the biggest ripoffs in all of 40K. There's nothing you could possibly need those points for more than another faith point.

Either way it's the same model, so it doesn't really matter much

My usual advice to new SoB players is don't buy the stinking boxed sets of sisters. The weapon choices that come in them are just rubbish. It appears to cost a bit more to buy them by blisters, but after you subtract out the models from the box nobody uses, they work out better!

A Retributor squad (the sort of equivalent of devastators) is outrageously expensive to field. I'd stick with regular sisters and seraphim to start. (Seraphim are expensive too, but worth it!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

My fiance plays sisters and the above list doen't even seem legal... You would need a priest in there to allow the Penitent engines and arcos to be selected. If you are looking for a forgiving army then sisters is a bit advanced for that. The first question is will she be playing a Sisters of Battle list or an Inquisition list? It's a bit hard to mix the two but it is possible if done carefully. I recommend a pure sisters force because space nuns roasting heathens is just awesome.

Units to get:
    Sisters of battle, lots of them, your entire army will be FILLED with these. They are part of almost every sisters unit. Next comes special weapons like flamers when you figure out what you want.

Seraphim are a good investment.

Exorcists, they're big, rolling organs that shoot missiles... need I say more?

The backbone of a force like this is a good understanding of faith and how it works so make sure you read up on this as it will save your bacon in many situations.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine0986 View Post
    Okay she needs a..
    -Palatine with a combi-stake crossbow=45 points
    -3 penitent engines= 240 points
    -Sisters repentia with 4 repentia's and mistress=110 points
    -3 arco-flagellants=105 points

Now shes set to rock any army in her path...nasty lil army they can be.
    wtf are you thinking? no seriously im confused as to why you would set up a list with only a single model being able to shoot at a distance over the range of a flame template.

The repentia are going to get slaughtered on the first shooting phase your enemy has due to their low armor rating and the fact that there are only five models in the unit.

Next to fall would be the lonely little arcos. The palatine is doing what? sitting on her ass cause she cant join any of those units and is worthless by herself.

The only thing that has the possibility of doing damage is the engines.

This list is retarded and illegal. there are only twelve models on the table. Thats asking to be shot to shet, not to mention that for the arcos and the engines you need a priest which is not listed. Im sorry i dont normally rant like this but in my opinion you just told a new player to start an army starting with some of the worst units in the sisters forces.

I will admit that this list would be deadly in CC but with 5th edition you cant consolidate into another enemy force so they would not do very well.

Suffer not the heretic. That's right, I'm looking at you Astartes Librarians.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

i just thought of this, another reason your list isnt legal....

NO TROOPS!!!!

come on now seriously? even you should know better

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Scave View Post
    i just thought of this, another reason your list isnt legal....

NO TROOPS!!!!

come on now seriously? even you should know better
    Calm down there hulk. I am pretty sure that he was just being sarcastic... (I hope). And if he wasn't then he obviously plays much differently then most do, and thus I am sure that he is either insane, or lacks knowledge of correct tactical amazingness or strategies.

Furthermore, by continuing from his sarcastic filled (again I HOPE!) post with this argumentative rubbish, you are just asking to derail this thread and cause a retarded slew of name calling and bitching or something as annoying and immature.

Please for future reference, if someone posts something you do not agree with, don't be as equal of a douche, it accomplishes nothing more then making as big a fool of yourself as the person who started the confusion in the first place.

Lets keep this thread on topic and leave the hate behind please. I know I am not a mod, nor do I wish to be, I don't cycle around on this forum enough to do so, however I am a member of this forum, and I do not like to have my time wasted as much as the next guy, and well, as much as you, but that is no excuse to post gibberish. I have in the past gotten angry and posted retardedness myself, it gets you no where. If you have something hateful to say about my post, PM me, or a mod and complain to them about this post.

Furthermore on topic now..

Moskov Humperdink's advice is pretty solid. Though I am not a big fan of the storm bolter upgrade, I think that flamers or meltaguns are better, I think in the box of 10 sisters, you get both a flamer and a storm bolter in there, so I can see why he would suggest it.

I am currently in a move, and my WH book is packed away, (the computer is always the last thing to get packed! LOL)... Anyways, I am not a huge fan of WH inquisitors, as they don't get psycannons... I would stick with the other HQ options, cheaper, better in melee, and can be set up to be awesome tank hunters.

Now, to help your friend out, it all depends on how she would like to play, there are a few different ways to play sisters. Here are the two most notable ways to play:

-Footslogging. You have really not much armour, but TONS of sisters on foot, with tons of bolters, all marching forward and just unleashing a hail of firepower.
    -Armoured. You have 10 sisters in each rhino, and a few immolaters filled with either your celestines, or some fast attack option (forget what they are called), along with some exorcists, and play that way.

Also, for her flying nuns, the best kit out is having 2 with the melta pistols (memory is bad and don't have my codex infront of me) and the VSS with an eviscerator + melta pistol. The flamer options are cool, but this squad is just so fast and deadly against tanks that it is almost a crime not to kit them that way! The only time I would rather have flamers on this squad instead of the inferno pistols (yay I remembered their name, but I am too lazy to go back and fix it!), is in a citys of death game!

I hope this helps, and I am glad that another has come over to the nun side!
    -Goblin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    Calm down there hulk. I am pretty sure that he was just being sarcastic... (I hope). And if he wasn't then he obviously plays much differently then most do, and thus I am sure that he is either insane, or lacks knowledge of correct tactical amazingness or strategies.

Furthermore, by continuing from his sarcastic filled (again I HOPE!) post with this argumentative rubbish, you are just asking to derail this thread and cause a retarded slew of name calling and bitching or something as annoying and immature.

Please for future reference, if someone posts something you do not agree with, don't be as equal of a douche, it accomplishes nothing more then making as big a fool of yourself as the person who started the confusion in the first place.

Lets keep this thread on topic and leave the hate behind please. I know I am not a mod, nor do I wish to be, I don't cycle around on this forum enough to do so, however I am a member of this forum, and I do not like to have my time wasted as much as the next guy, and well, as much as you, but that is no excuse to post gibberish. I have in the past gotten angry and posted retardedness myself, it gets you no where. If you have something hateful to say about my post, PM me, or a mod and complain to them about this post.

I have had a chance to calm down from the time i posted to the time you replied and yes i was ranting and yes i acknowledge that ranting rarely ever accomplishes anything but i do feel that i did make a few points for the sake of the new player (mainly which units to not use). I didnt mean to offend anyone so sorry if i did and i also hope they were joking

Furthermore on topic now..

Moskov Humperdink's advice is pretty solid. Though I am not a big fan of the storm bolter upgrade, I think that flamers or meltaguns are better, I think in the box of 10 sisters, you get both a flamer and a storm bolter in there, so I can see why he would suggest it.

I am currently in a move, and my WH book is packed away, (the computer is always the last thing to get packed! LOL)... Anyways, I am not a huge fan of WH inquisitors, as they don't get psycannons... I would stick with the other HQ options, cheaper, better in melee, and can be set up to be awesome tank hunters.

Now, to help your friend out, it all depends on how she would like to play, there are a few different ways to play sisters. Here are the two most notable ways to play:

-Footslogging. You have really not much armour, but TONS of sisters on foot, with tons of bolters, all marching forward and just unleashing a hail of firepower.
    -Armoured. You have 10 sisters in each rhino, and a few immolaters filled with either your celestines, or some fast attack option (forget what they are called) Dominions, along with some exorcists, and play that way.

Also, for her flying nuns Seraphim, the best kit out is having 2 with the melta pistols (memory is bad and don't have my codex infront of me) Inferno Pistols and the VSS with an eviscerator + melta pistol. The flamer options are cool, but this squad is just so fast and deadly against tanks that it is almost a crime not to kit them that way! The only time I would rather have flamers on this squad instead of the inferno pistols (yay I remembered their name, but I am too lazy to go back and fix it!) lol, i did for you before reading this far, is in a citys of death game!

I hope this helps, and I am glad that another has come over to the nun side!
    -Goblin
    a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

To be honest Sisters of Battle aren't really that forgiving of an army. But the basic core of most lists will look something like this...

x1 Cannoness - 120
    - Blessed Weapon
    - Jump Pack
    - Cloak of St. Aspira
    - Book of St. Lucius

x9 Battle Sisters - 209 points
    -x1 Melta Gun
    -x1 Heavy Flamer
    -x1 Vetran Superior
    - Book of St. Lucius

Transport: Rihno
    - Extra Armour
    - Smoke Launcher

x9 Battle Sisters - 209 points
    -x1 Melta Gun
    -x1 Heavy Flamer
    -x1 Vetran Superior
    - Book of St. Lucius

Transport: Rihno
    - Extra Armour
    - Smoke Launcher

x7 Seraphim - 221 points
    - x2 Twin Hand Flamers
    x1 Veteran Superior
    - Eviscerator
    - Book of St.Lucius

x1 Exorcist - 135 points

That is 894 points and is well balances in all areas of play.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast