Vanguard, drop pods and heroic intervention? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanguard, drop pods and heroic intervention?

When you read the rules on Vanguards special ability Heroic Intervention it specifies jump pack equiped Vanguards. I presumes that means that Vanguards that are drop podding follow the usual rules and cant assault the turn they arrive?
    And are they realy worth their points if you by them jumppacks? Almost twice the point cost of assualt marines...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think they are worth there points with jump packs because it makes them just so expensive. Better to take them without jump packs i think.
    The best place to buy warhammer: Miniatures2u

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

The issue of taking them without jump packs, is that they aren't doing much more than anything else in the army list. The jump packs is what allows them to do something nothing else can, otherwise, you might as well use vanilla assault marines. The other issue is that this unit will never be cheap no matter what you equip them with, my advice is to build what you think would be useful and see if you can put them in. I ended up running a 10xman with jump packs and a pair of PF because this gives me either one beardy squad or two smaller squads to drop in where I please and kill something.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

There is also the fact that they are veterans so they get 9 Ld and 2 attacks. Also you can equip them much more aggressively than an assault squad, (granted, at a very hefty cost.) I have some of the models, I still haven't built them. I used my old Veterans without jump packs and put them in a LR with a captain. They killed stuff!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

All you need are a couple locator beacons lying around to make them worthwhile. 5-6 Vannies with jump packs, LCs and a Relic Blade should make short work of just about anything.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

If you're just looking for a base of 2 attacks and power weapons, an honour guard is more efficient point-wise than vanguards and gives you artificier armor as well.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I was playing with my Tau and finally lost all because of the Vanguard landing and assaulting my jet-pack equipped HQ squad. It was very efficient attack. Definately worth the points in that case. Against other armies with different tactics maybe not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
    If you're just looking for a base of 2 attacks and power weapons, an honour guard is more efficient point-wise than vanguards and gives you artificier armor as well.
    Vanguard you can take differnt CC weapons which can suit more situations than Honour Guard.
    The best place to buy warhammer: Miniatures2u

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

The biggest downside to VAS is the rest of the Codex they're in
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input! With jumppacks and PW/LC they will cost more than terminators, but maybe they can be just as or even more effective? Both can deep strike, but Vanguard can assault on the turn they arrive, a BIG advantage. Terminators have much better save but Vanguard are more mobile with jumppacks. Assault Terminators can have twin LC which is more effective than BP and LC/PW, and ordinary Termies have storm bolters and PF. I gues it depends on what your opponent has but I must say I lean more towards Terminators.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast