Are Grey Knight Terminators worth their weight in Gold? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are Grey Knight Terminators worth their weight in Gold?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...it's GKT's against the world!

112 84.85%
  • No...my _________ does more for less

20 15.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Are Grey Knight Terminators worth their weight in Gold?

Are Grey Knight Terminators worthwhile to select for your army? They are such a point sink...can you really kill enough to make back the points?

The GKT's, beautiful as they are, are what first attracted me to the Daemonhunter army. I've fought twice now with the Daemonhunters, using them on my first battle only (though illegally). They were gangbanged by 2 genestealer squads and shredded to bits. Needless to say, I didn't get my money's worth that game, though I did destroy 1 squad of genies and scared away his carnies and hive tyrant (haha...the sheer terror of the enemy HQ's or TMC's maybe worth another 100pts

I guess I'd like to hear from experience whether they're cool...no wait, they are way cool...but whether they're practical in battle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

They are nice but not worth the points. Marine Terminators are 6 points less then ares. The biggest thing we get is Str6 power weapons. Which means we should go through most enemies like a hot knife through butter. The fact is we don't. Only in games over 2500 do I use any, other than a retinue for my BC or GM and at that I only take 4. We want them to be in the middle of a melee most of the time they get shot to death before it happens.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

To me they are worth it, but not overly so I couldn't pick either choice. They are about as good for the points as an assault Termy squad. They have better WS and wound on two's, but Assault termies have Lightning Claws which let you re-roll your wounds, or TH/SSs that give you a rediculous Inv save. We are shootier as well, so are but more well rounded.

They thing that makes them worth their weight in gold is their looks! Not a better model in 40k IMO.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

I think I may be the only person that hates how GKT look. : /

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=jy2;1331838]. I've fought twice now with the Daemonhunters, using them on my first battle only (though illegally). They were gangbanged by 2 genestealer squads and shredded to bits.quote]

thts unfortunate, i had an IST sergent shred a genestealer squad w/ power weapon without dying. sergent took on 10 genestealers and won, whilst directly next to that combat mi termies with GM owned a broodlord and 10 'stealer retinue! VERY LUCKY!

worth their weight in gold? HELL YES!!!!!
    till the end i stand, no retreat! no surrender! *woop woop*

"Innocence proves nothing"

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

methinks your IST sergeant deserves a promotion...promote him to rank of....
    Grey Knight in Term armor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted yes. The Emperor smiles widely upon my grey knights, especially the termies. I must say I've never lost Every GKT I've taken, no mattert how much hate flies their way. Most fun I've ever had with them is DS'ing 2 Squads on either side of my opponents army and working my way to the middle. Both squads were sharing beer before the rest of the army made it.

Glorious unit, but you have to pay attention.

Note To diggums: GKT can have TH/SS too, it's just a waste IMO
    Eldar W/D/L: 17/15/12
    Ordo Malleus W/D/L: 24/3/4
    Crimson Fists: In Progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gauss_storm View Post
    I think I may be the only person that hates how GKT look. : /
    Shame on you! Bestever looking terminator figures!

Too expensiv, and if met with the wrong squad, they die, just like Eldrad under psycanonn fire.
    SemperFidelis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Meron View Post
    Too expensiv, and if met with the wrong squad, they die, just like Eldrad under psycanonn fire.
    That is why IMO, the only way to deliver these guys is from a Landraider or LRC. Termies have a great save, but it is still a save they must take and being T4, they will usually have to take too many if they deepstrike.

You can take squads of 8 or so for deepstriking and expect to lose a few when they come in. This is the 'delivery cost' of deepstriking termies of any ilk.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

If you're looking for the Easy Button or FTW unit in the DH codex, you've got the wrong army. We don't have anything like Ork Nob Bikerz or Eldar Harlequins. GKTs are like PAGKs, only more specialized for assault. I always try to pack in a unit of 4-5 into every list at least 1500 pts in size. They look fantastic, they scare the bejeezus out of every opponent I've ever faced, and they can sometimes to amazing things ... just like your average PAGKs. And like your average PAGKs, they aren't invincable and can be chewed up by even better assault units. And they do exist. So use them carefully and you're golden. My favorite loadout is 5 with a pair of psycannons as a mobile firebase. They soak up A LOT of enemy firepower, far more than they deserve, frankly, and thus the rest of my army gets to Do Its Thing relatively unencumbered. And it's surprising how often 2-3 of the GKTs will survive to slam into a decisive assault in mid- to late-game, too.

Love them, love them, love them!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast