Raven wing with GK allies, would it be competetive? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raven wing with GK allies, would it be competetive?

After a long absence from space marines Iíve come to see you lot again. After my GK army was seen off by Ork bikers (several times) I wanted to get my own back, fighting fire with fire, and remembered the raven wing. Could I get a raven wing army together, ally the GKs to it and then call down GK terminators in either the elite or HQ function and then a unit of GK fast attack teleport guys (using the raven wingís built in teleport homers)?

I think itís legal, the question is, is it competitive? I may use the raven wing section to build a whole dark angels army, Iím somewhat an addict to the grey/silver armour so Iíd probably go for the successor chapter, Guardians of the Covenant as back up for the raven wing.

Anyway:

1: Is this possibility legal to ally GKs to a raven wing army?
    2: is it a viable and competitive option to put the two together?
    3: If I were to combine the two armies what would I be lacking (my mind strays to anti tank) and how could I plug the gaps? (unit suggestions if possible)

All advice would be extremely useful and is dearly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I play both armies and often put a unit of GK in my Ravenwing.

1:> Yes it definatly is legal.

2:> It could certainly be viable and competitive, but it may be more competitive to play a Codex SM biker list instead, as they are 8 points cheaper (lack Scout move, TP Homers and Fearless though).

3:> I don't see any lack in any part of the game. With Multimelta attack bikes, Landspeeder Typhoons and maybe a Landraider for some GK termies you should be good to go.

A squad of FAGKs could be a good choice as well to go with your Ravenwing Bikes to give them some CC abiltities and still be shooty as hell.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

expensive, and even more expensive...

could be worse, i suppose...could be deathwing and knights.

it's definitely killy, and could be very effective. just have to remember that you'll be completely and utterly outnumbered, even by most marine armies (and definitly by the one i play, 100 black templars at 2k points)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so itís going to be point heavy and Iím going to outnumbered most of the time, Iím not moaning at that, the question is:

1: Are units worth the cost? i.e. will they dish out enough hurt to justify the points?

2: Is it worth getting the Raven wing benefits for 8 extra points?

3: Would it be better to use the raven wing with a normal space marine contingent rather than the GKs?

and

4: Iíve heard that it you mount a space marine captain on a bike you then get all other bike to count as troops, is this correct?

Thanks for the advice, it's all much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by matt01price View Post
    1: Are units worth the cost? i.e. will they dish out enough hurt to justify the points?
    This one I am still figuring out. The problem with Ravenwing is you don't play it like a normal GK / SM list. It is all about using your movement to pick of one enemy unit/area at a time and then moving to the next and so on. You must keep out of CC and use your speed and your troop choices to grab objectives at the end. It isn't an easy list to play like Godzilla or shooty Marines. You have to keep your small amount of troops alive to be able to Grab the objectives at the end of the game. It is all about precise movement and tactics. Very fun though...

2: Is it worth getting the Raven wing benefits for 8 extra points??
    So far I would lean to no. The only thing I really think is big bonus is the Scout move, and is that worth the 8 points? Probably not. The other benefit is Ravenwing get the now uber Landspeeder Typhoons for 15pts cheaper. The other benefit is working together with Deathwing, taking Belisle, leader of the Deathwing and having Ravenwing/Deathwin as troop choices.

3: Would it be better to use the raven wing with a normal space marine contingent rather than the GKs?
    You will need to use Dark Angels list, and it is a little less flexible and more expensive than the regular SM list, and Grey Knights IMO are just as good a fit. They are better at being a solid 'hold the enemy' up force than SMs for moving your bikers around.

4: I’ve heard that it you mount a space marine captain on a bike you then get all other bike to count as troops, is this correct?

Yes, you can take a Captain on a bike or take the Special Character Kahn, Commander of the White Scars for some unique rules as well. It is definatly worth a look or a purchase of the SM 'Dex to look at all the possibilities of a very cool bike army. Scout Bikers are another reason to have a look. They are much better than ever, and give you an Infiltrating, Scoutmoving, decent in assault and other nasties.

Cheers, DH
    Last edited by Diggums Hammer; January 4th, 2009 at 16:25.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so the raven wing is a little too expensive, can you have a dark angels bike force without it being raven wing?

and if you use a successor chapter do you have to/ can you use the same rules as the parent chapter?

or to do a total mix can you take normal dark angels, raven wing components and the GKs?
    Last edited by matt01price; January 4th, 2009 at 17:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

ok so the raven wing is a little too expensive, can you have a dark angels bike force without it being raven wing?

and if you use a successor chapter do you have to/ can you use the same rules as the parent chapter?

or to do a total mix can you take normal dark angels, raven wing components and the GKs?
    No, Dark Angels only bike force is Ravenwing.

Yes, successor chapters use the same rules.

Yes, you take a base DA list, which can include Ravenwing and then ally some GKs.

You can play a SM 'Dex bike list and paint it like Ravenwing, but use their rules and points, that may be your best alternative?
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be honest the models are a good portion of the raven wing lure, even though the bikes are 8 points too expensive, however the landspeeder options look good aswell.

So if i had a Dark angels base list, with raven wing on the side but taking up a good portion of the army then have GK termies to add some punch and as you said some FAGKs as well maybe, (expensive but i'll put up with that for the models, the main point is not getting totallly annihalated)

please tell me if this sort of list would be wiped out.... save me £50 of raven wing battle force...

thanks for the input aswell really helps, no question, i'm very grateful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

thanks for the input aswell really helps, no question, i'm very grateful
    No problem! I'm glad to help.

I play Ravenwing because I love the fluff and the models. If it you find that it doesn't work out that well, you can use your Ravenwing models with Space Marine 'Dex rules so won't have wasted the money. I love playing bikers and I don't worry about too many other DA units other than Landspeeders. The Raven battleforce is the best to buy bikes anyway.
    Cheers, DH
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just one last quick question, if you had to support these boys with any infantry other than the GKs what would you go for: assult troops, tac troops, devs.....?

thanks again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast