Maximizing SM vehicles on a limited budget - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

Maximizing SM vehicles on a limited budget

I have a ton of SM footsloggers + 2 dreadnaughts. I'm thinking it's time to buy some vehicles but have a very limited budget. Given a budget of $100-150 and assuming 20% off retail from most on-line stores, what vehicles would you recommend buying to provide overall list building and playing flexibility?

For example, Rhinos would be good for each squad, but for the $, I'd rather pick up a Land Raider and magnetize the weapons and sponsons. Land speeders would be a nice Fast Attack option, but $-wise they're pretty pricey unless I can find a really good deal on e-bay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say a Heavy Support choice, either Land Raider if you want to combine it with transporting, or one or two Predators and giving your army a slightly harder punch. Now, I'm Swedish so I don't know how many of anything 150$ is going to get you, but speaking from personal experience you can't go wrong with Predators.

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Well, you can get around 3-4 tanks depending on what you buy. Most of the actual tanks barring Rhinos and Razorbacks go for 40$, and Land Raiders are 50-55$.

I personally thing that you shouldn't buy Rhinos. If you want to buy troop-transports, buy Razorbacks instead. That way, if you keep the top-hatch unglued, you can always simply turn it into a Rhino. The same goes for all the other Space Marine tanks barring the Land Raider since that uses a different chassis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

215 (x4)

A Land Raider Redeemer goes for $50 and the Predetor kit is $40, so $72 with the typical on-line discount. Could probably either pick up another vehicle or the lascannon sponsons for the standard Land Raider.

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Why not both?

Unless you intend to get the standard Land Raider completely, you should be able to afford another vehicle and order the sponson bits online. Those twin-linked lascannons shouldn't cost 30$!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

VINDICATOR!!!

Seriously, you need to pick one or two of these up. They're tough, compact, aggressive little buggers that pack a hefty punch and they're easily one of my favourite units in this codex.

With a Siege Shield and Extra Armour, they'll go anywhere you want and shrug off almost everything your opponents throw at them.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont forget that a lot of those are designed off of a rhino chassis. I've seen some sweet whirlwind mods using a rhino and some bic pen tubes. Would only take a little extra effort to make the "whirlwind launcher" detachable so you can have your rhino back when you want it. Also the razorback would be great spend some of your budget on magnets and you can switch out whichever turrets you want or go turretless for a rhino. With both of those you could have a whirlwind and razorback or whirlwind and rhino or two rhinos or two razorbacks or even two whirlwinds if you wanted all for around 70-75 bucks after buying some magnets and greenstuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

VINDICATOR!

that son of a b**** is dead'ard. 5" blast that has bs4 behind it? yes please. i'd even recommend you buy the 'terrain restructuring force' (what i call the 3 vindicator apoc formation). 3 pie plates against one of the 5th ed infantry-heavy armies?

splat. splat. splat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

215 (x4)

I had forgotten about the Vindicator. My other two armies are Ork and Tyranid, so the Vindicator would be just the right thing against them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    VINDICATOR!

that son of a b**** is dead'ard. 5" blast that has bs4 behind it? yes please. i'd even recommend you buy the 'terrain restructuring force' (what i call the 3 vindicator apoc formation). 3 pie plates against one of the 5th ed infantry-heavy armies?

splat. splat. splat.
    Ah good! I'm putting together some marines as my first foray into 40k, and, well, I'm not too well versed on tanks yet since my High Elves surprisingly don't use any! But I do have my eye on that terrain restrucuring force. The only thing that puts me off is that perhaps 3 is a bit overkill, and since I want to buy some transports too that would be a lot of cash on vehicles. Hmmmm I need to think about this.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast