Welcome to Librarium Online!
After seeing stays crunchy extol his pistoler conversion possibility I thought it may be a good idea to post all of the conversions step by step in this thread with pictures if possible so using the following format:
box of X
super glue, plastic glue and tools
1. take off sprues
2. put together
so as an example what I did was as follows:
Box of glade riders.
Empire knight lance arms.
greenstuff superglue plastic glue etc.
1. open box and spread sprues out, you will need the horses as they are so set aside.
2. cut all pieces off the sprues and place in two piles
a) the legs, bodies, heads and left arms
b) absolutely everything else
3. build the horses and set aside, dont forget to add sand etc to the bases
4. take the legas heads and left arms and put into groups of bodies. (personally I think I used some spare left arms from somewhere else (catachan grenade throwing arm I do believe)) now clean these bits up
5. the body will be too small so get a cadian torso and compare the size. Once this is done glue the body (not the cadian one) to the legs. once dry build up green stuff at the waist till the right size. also do this with the upper torso leaving the neck clear.
6. I greenstuffed a shako on the head but you cold just use spare cadian heads or catachan heads if you like. once this was doen I glued the head in.
7. next I added the left arm which needed some GS work so I greenstuffed this to the right size and also attached it with said greenstuff.
8. Take more greenstuf and add a thin layer sculpting in some simple detail such as a jacket edge and belt use a wet knife for this and it wont be as difficult as it sounds!
9. use a blob of green stuff to add the empire lance to the right shoulder and hey presto a rough rider.
As for looks the guy I did is napoleonic themed, and as the models are more slight then the empire armoured lance arm looks like it is powered thus explaining the lance rules.
notice I added the right arm first to give more purchase when sculpting.
view of either side.
I do have another conversion I shall be working on soon but for now Id like to see other peoples conversions and how toos.
Post up people
I like it, that RR is a million times better than the GW produces tallarn/attalian/whatever thay call them riders. The grass coming up from the ground to the hooves doesn't really sit well with me but cutting them out would proboby affect the way the model stays on the base.
My ice world campaigning guard don't have any rough riders, and I haven't converted any yet, but i'm thinking of buying some very small toy dogsleds with or without any dogs and just put one dog/ or warhammer orks and goblins wolves, these ones in fact Games Workshop Online Store - Wolves With a converted guardsman with some sort of a hunting lance, possibly just a lance with a grenade at the end. If i do this it won't be anytime soon and i'd have trouble fitting it on a base but im not sure if it'd work. What do you guys think?
IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11
I think you could pull it off. And if you did it would look pretty interesting and it would compliment your wintery theme.
Nice, very clean conversion. Has anyone ever done motorcycle rough riders? It just sounds fun to me.
"Courage without the presence of fear is like a pistol without bullets. Meaningless." Colonel Igor Massif, 6777th Severite Rifles M40
I wanted to post this earlier but the interweb is being a... slow thing...
I don't have any steps written up for this. I'm sure I could make some (and possibly some templates) but I just don't have the time/motivation. Suffice to say that the whole thing revolves around the central spar of plastic which is cut to a length of 1.25 inches.
After that it's a simple matter of laying patterns of plasticard down and filling in the cracks with green stuff.
The tires are obviously off of the old heavy weapons. Incidentally, the old heavy weapon guys are what I'm using to man these. I haven't quite figured out how I can do a counts as lance yet. That's essentially what has stalled this project.
How i did my rough riders (To have a pic added sometime):
There are great and affordable rough riders out there - The Empire pistoliers.
1) Buy pistoliers / Outriders box (approx £ 12.00 for 5)
2) Open, admire. Nice.
3) Get the following - 5 mortars (even the arms holding one will do fine), 5 spears, 5 cadian torso's, 5 heads (I used spare IG tanker with helmet and comms heads), 5 left and 5 right arms, 5 laspistols. (I used old, old 1980's ones, but any will do)
4) Make horses & rough rider bodies (with scalpel remove some of the nobbly bits on the lower legs, to make it match the Cadian chestplate a bit more)
5) Chop off mortar above the hand (if the held ones) or about midway on the loose ones. (Hint - remove flashing before chopping from hand / sprue for easiness)
6) Chop up arms - if the "holding mortar" arm used previously, cut off at wrist as it makes a great lance arm. For left arm I used a variety, from "pointy finger" to "Sgnts chainsword" (with cheverons filed off) to "Grenade Launcher Braced Arm"
7) Make hands for holding laspistols / spears. (I used spears with hands already on, so use your own initiative there) for the laspistols I used the empire pistoliers, cutting the gun off level with the hand, then cutting the hand off at the "sleeve" where i could replace it on the cadian arm. (Note, this lead to a wide pistol stock, but it fitted my old school pistols quite well. It also led to a long pistol handle, but cavalry riders preferred a long grip to help them keep the weapon firmly whilst riding, so no problem there IMO)
8 ) Glue together (oh, glue the mortar bits to the end of the speard (chop off ends of spears))
9) Charge !
10 ) Look at bits. Loads, and loads.
May i suggest your vet sgnt has a powersword ? Be aware that in new dex he may not be able to have frags (from armoury) so do what i did, glue them on, then make a total hash of removing them. (Boo)
The head with no helmet makes a nice vet / officer, and the "lion helm" makes a spiffy inquisitor head. Necromunda / mordheim gangs also get a variety of swords and cool looking weapons.
However, I think i do have a old IG Jetbike, (and landspeeder, dreadnaught and robot along with penal troopers etc etc) in my "old antiques unlikely to be used again" box.
In fact i'm pretty sure i do, if not two - I was rooting around it for a "Crocodile dundee hat" old rough rider torso the other day. (Found but doesn't fit on new horses. Boo.)
I'll look about and get back to you when i have the oppertunity.
P.S. It may be worth noting i'm in the UK (R.E. postage etc)
Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; January 9th, 2009 at 11:46.
Xeno-calavery is an option, dont know how to do that though.
maby some creatures from the lizzardmen or kroot.
This Planet Is Murder