Good starting core - given 5th ed rumors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Good starting core - given 5th ed rumors

I've seen the rumor thread and the building an IG army thread but I am having an issue synergizing the two to come up with a good start for my new faction.

Tanks and sentinels are a big attraction for me. Modeling, painting, and fielding so those are units I want to be centerpieces of the list.

From what I read in 4th ed, you can have up to 12 sentinels (3 command, and 3 sets of 3 FA though I doubt I'll max that out to start with) and three leman russ's for the heavy force.

Does it look like these will be good staples to focus on? Which sentinel/russ centric list, what is going to be a good support unit? I assume some troop units (force mins and all) as well as the necessity that only they can hold points... any other suggestions?

If the May 2nd date is solid, I wanna buy and start painting with wasting my money on soon-to-be obsolete units.

Hope this rambleing made some sense.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold off on buying sentinels. If BoLS is correct, they'll have some new sentinel options and a new box with all of the weapon options. Same goes with tanks. With the exception of the battleforce, you can get them online for $70-75 and are just a wonderful deal, who knows if it'll stay.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

It depends on what sentinel config you want. Multilas is a good staple of any sentinel force and I doubt lascannons will lose out in choice as well. May is 5 months away That is a long time so IMO I wouldn't hold off otherwise you might as well never start because there is always something new 6 months down the line! (If that date is reliable)

A good idea would be to go with your staple core troops. The battleforce is a good deal and that gets you a Russ and enough troops for your compulsory platoon. Simply pick up a second troops choice and command then you are set with a core force.

With the sentienl they may get new options for guns so do what lots of people do already and attach the gun with magnets or slot it on or even a little bit of blu tac. that way if the new option comes along you can simply swap out the gun.

If you like the catachan models that box starts with sentinels instead of a Russ so may be worth considering.

All in all the only time to hold back on buying is about 1 month before when the release date is reliable. Buy the core choices you will need while waiting for information on the other releases.

Also Sentinels most probably wont be a first wave release, it doesnt make sense as they arent what is considered a core unit so they wont be out till at least a month after release at least.

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armored Company

Well until the new relaease you do follow what the others guys have posted. Also if you are not doing GW events and the person you are playing against you can always use and armored company that you can field your favorites.also the basilisk deal is good too. For $30 off the normal price you get 3 basilisks/chimeras to use for $90. This will also give you a nice head start for your army no atter which way you go. I am also waiting to see what the IG codex will bring since I have a FW renegades army that I am building.
    yellow_fever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Only my opinion so please nobody jump down my throat...

The one thing that won't change in the new codex is the platoon.

It is also IMO the most time consuming thing to get painted since it can get dull painting so many guys and all those tanks and the like call to you to paint them instead...

I'm getting two platoons of 30 strong Tallarns painted/ finished up for the new codex release.

reading the rumours I think they will be the basis that allows us to take lots of swanky stuff.

Plus lasguns are the way to victory - nothing is more satisfying than taking down troops eith the humble flash light.

As I say to my friends "Real men need 5's to wound"
    Finally getting round to finshing my Tallarn Imperial Guard Army (2K)
    Everything else has been sacrificed on the Altar of eBay...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

I agree that you should get at least one platoon built now. It takes a lot of time and you will always need the guardsmen in a legal list. You can also build a few russes. New turret options will likely be released in the spring and summer but you can always buy the spare bits off someone else. The same goes for the sentinels. Most likely there won't be any real substantive change aside from new weapon loadouts which you can switch out youself with rare earth magnets or even a spot of white glue.

There are a few other options you can cook up as well. If you're as much a treadhead as you seem to be, some chimeara's wouldn't go amiss. You can use them for armored fist squads or to put a command squad in (do not underestimate the power of 3 to 4 flamers in a single squad).

You can also convert a bunch of veterans for your army as well. On the off chance the new codex gives them crappy rules you can always play them as line troops. You might also check out the stormtroopers but only if you really like the models. I think their very useful but they aren't perfect.

A whole other option would be potential allies. I am considering getting two squads of Sisters of Battle in rhinos for my army. Their codex isn't going anywhere for a while so you'd be safe to get them. Same goes for Grey Knights and inquisitors.

Ok I'll stop talking now but that hopefully gives you some ideas. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Torden View Post
    From what I read in 4th ed, you can have up to 12 sentinels (3 command, and 3 sets of 3 FA though I doubt I'll max that out to start with) and three leman russ's for the heavy force.
    I've heard a lot of different things as far as force organization is concerned, and specifically the maximum of 3 LRs might be different. One of the rumors I've heard regularly is that tanks can be attached to Infantry platoons, so you could (within points limits of course) field as many tanks as you have platoons +3 for heavy support.

12 sentinels is too many, but with new sentinel weapon options (supposedly) coming out, a couple of units of outflanking, multi-melta packing sentinels might be a wise invetment for dealing with high armor vehicles. Of course, the trusty lascannon will always have a place on sentinels for the old schoolers.

Does it look like these will be good staples to focus on?
    Most certainly so. There are many proud mechanized IG players (myself included) who have success with their lists.

Which sentinel/russ centric list, what is going to be a good support unit? I assume some troop units (force mins and all) as well as the necessity that only they can hold points... any other suggestions?
    I think one of the bigger keys to an IG force is not simply delegating units as support, but instead playing on the strengths of all units to provide redundant support to as much of the army as possible. Where some armies have very specific support units and situations i.e. Eldar Striking Scorpions being supported by Pathfinders, the guard is a little bit more generalized. A Leman Russ can successfully kill just about any infantry unit, so your own infantry can focus on bringing down heavy armor or capping objectives. Since there aren't a lot of lists with high numbers of AV14 besides guard and some SM lists, this means that you don't need quite as much infantry, so long as you are using your tanks wisely. If I had to specifically label one as a support unit, then I would call it as the Sentinel. Against tanks, Sentinels generally function as one shot wonders. Against infantry, they tend to be the guys who shoot last at the targets that are proving to be more resilient to gobs of lasgun shots.

Another tank that can really be a terror is the Hellhound. With the amount of cover saves in 5th edition, I think the already impressive Hellhound has a chance to really shine in IG lists.

If the May 2nd date is solid, I wanna buy and start painting with wasting my money on soon-to-be obsolete units.
    I think that as long as you start with the basic stuff and get a few platoons of infantry done, you'll be safe as far as the obsolete aspect goes. You might hold of on HQ type units, as I've been hearing a lot of variations on that, but buying a Leman Russ or two will still be a sound investment, even if a lot of the rumors about the IG are true. The fact of the matter is, having tanks in an IG list is almost never a negative.

Hope this rambleing made some sense.
    Speaking of rambling, hope that helps.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

+ Reply to Thread