Damm Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damm Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damm Eldar

I keep getting beaten by darn Eldar, Mech ones and infantry ones.

Farseer is my largest problem but sometimes it's not even close.

I have tried Lascannons, Stormies, Armoured Fist..........

Basicly i'm at my witts end and i just wanted to perhaps hear some stories where you guys have defeated these foes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
    I keep getting beaten by darn Eldar, Mech ones and infantry ones.

Farseer is my largest problem but sometimes it's not even close.

I have tried Lascannons, Stormies, Armoured Fist..........

Basicly i'm at my witts end and i just wanted to perhaps hear some stories where you guys have defeated these foes?
    Top Tip no1 for fighting Eldar:

An allied Grey knight Brother Captain with psychic hood.
    That's a LD10 unlimited range psychic hood - where you and opponent roll a D6 and add your Ld, winner cancels / casts the power. He costs 81 points, and you have a terminator clad S6 power weapon character to boot (Handy for adding to squads and using his LD too)

Tip no 2: Hellhounds. Ignores cover, beats most eldar saves, ranged, In fact it's a 2+ to kill (Instantly too) most eldar after hitting with a template. Nice.

Other advice: I'm assuming falcons / wave serpants are a thorn. don't bother with lascannons, a autocannon has almost the same chance of doing stuff to it, and you double your shots.
    Miss Launchers's are also a good choice in your infantry - It can be turned into a template to hit his troops too.
    Both of these weapons have a very important charecteristic - a exellent range too.

I would suggest LR's over a demolisher due to the range benefits - being able to move helps too (sentinels have this advantage too)

Sentinals also help by bogging him down in combat - the puny eldar s3 can't affect them.

Melee is your friend. Especially against those pesky vehicles - I rarely advocate guardsmen with powerfists, but having a couple spotted about can help. (Falcon/W.Seprant retribution.)

Some people swear by basalisks, but they're a bit redundant now IMO.

Melee is also your friend - You wound them on 4's! Ridiculous! (Obviously bar banshees / scorpions. Avoid combat with them.)

The last and best advice i can give: Read the eldar codex. All these lovely eldar units exel at one thing or another, and their special rules are very finickey. Learn them. Work out what their units are bad at, or can't cope with.

p.s. we do need a wee bit more info on what he and you are using though.
    Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; January 16th, 2009 at 14:02.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

pick up 2 hellhounds, and I dont care what you have in your army, you could have men without special weapons, you could run with anything, but it you have 2 hellhounds, i can at least gaurentee a tie against your opponent as long as its not an annihilation mission (as long as you dont play like an idiot)
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for the input.
    It's hard to say what they have used as it has changed a few times, they have used Harlequins, fire dragons Allways a Farseer.
    Scorpions sometimes or swooping hawks.
    Most recenrt was several warp spiders, some dire avengers and allways a Avatar.
    Heaps of wraith guard and once Eldrad the jerk.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had

HQ
    HSO
    Master Vox
    3 x Guardsmen

2 x squads of Lascannons
    2 x squads of Autocannons
    1 x Elite Stormtroopers

Troops:
    PHQ
    JO with power fist
    2 x Plasma guns
    Vox
    Multi Melta

Squad 1
    Sgt + close combat
    Vox
    Grenade Launcher
    Missile launcher

Squad 2
    Sgt + close combat
    Vox
    Grenade Launcher
    Missile launcher

Squad 3
    Sgt + close combat
    Vox
    Grenade Launcher
    Autocannon

Armoured Fist:
    Vox
    ML
    Sgt + CCW
    Chimera

Heavy:

LRBT track guards x 2

LRD 3 x heavy bolters + track guards

The Squads have had heavy bolters before.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have some good basic tools but are lacking some of the most important eldar killing weapons you gan buy... namely flamers and heavy bolters!

I had

HQ
    HSO
    Master Vox
    3 x Guardsmen
    This squad is a little bare and yet has a significant points investment. If you really want to use a vox network, you might as well throw a mortar into this squad as well. Otherwise, keep them cheap. Just take a JO with bolter and stick a heavy bolter in the squad for a 'mini' fire support squad.

2 x squads of Lascannons
    2 x squads of Autocannons
    The above squads are probably a little overkill when facing eldar. You could probably afford to drop a squad of lascannons at minimum. This is of course unless you face a lot of wraithlord lists, in which case lascannons will be your friends! Swapping out an autocannon squad for a heavy bolter squad could also be a good option as heavy bolters really put the hurt on fragile eldar infantry.

1 x Elite Stormtroopers
    Bare bones? Ten man? I use mine as grenadiers mounted in a chimera with double plasmaguns. Not only can they capture objectives, but the accurate plasma fire threatens the more elite troops like striking scorpians and warp spiders.

Troops:
    PHQ
    JO with power fist
    2 x Plasma guns
    Vox
    Multi Melta
    This squad isn't legal as IG cant take multi melta's. While it has some powerful guns, it is unlikely to make use of all its killing potential. I'd drop the fist, plasma guns and just take a heavy bolter and equip the JO with a bolter. Again, creating a 'mini' fire support squad and reducing the target priority of this squad while maintaining a useful leadership bubble.

Squad 1
    Sgt + close combat
    Vox
    Grenade Launcher
    Missile launcher

Squad 2
    Sgt + close combat
    Vox
    Grenade Launcher
    Missile launcher

Squad 3
    Sgt + close combat
    Vox
    Grenade Launcher
    Autocannon
    Again, not a vox fan myself but I wont call you on it. Grenade launchers are sweet weapons against eldar, but I'd still favour plasma if only because you can threaten transports that get too close to your lines, as well as kill the more elite eldar troops. Missile Launchers on the other hand are not so good vs eldar. I'd take either auto cannons or heavy bolters in their stead. Also, why CC weapons on your sarge's? I'd just go with a lasgun for the extra shot.

Armoured Fist:
    Vox
    ML
    Sgt + CCW
    Chimera
    I'd drop the heavy weapon from this squad and take either a flamer or grenade launcher in its place. Actually, what I would REALLY do is put your stormies in here as grenadiers instead. Then, take the men from the fist squad, take an infantry squad from your infantry platoon and drop one of the lascannon support squads to create another Platoon command and infantry squad. This will leave you with a command squad and three infantry squad platoon. Arm them with flamers (command takes 3 please!) and take the drop troops doctrine and prepare for the eldar bbq! I know its broken record time, but I do this and it really puts the hurt on most armies, especially eldar.

Heavy:

LRBT track guards x 2

LRD 3 x heavy bolters + track guards

The Squads have had heavy bolters before.......
    LRBT - drop the track guard and take heavy bolter sponsons.
    LRD - Drop this guy and replace with a hell hound instead. If your eldar opponent has never faced off against a hellhound, he will soon learn the meaning of fear (even with an avatar on the board!)

Just a word on said avatar. I've faced a number of eldar armies that included avatars and most of the time I just ignore them and focus on their squishy troops instead. Avatars are pretty slow and are more 'fear factor' than actual threat. You should be able to avoid them with the majority of your forces while still pounding on the other eldar threats.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly thanks heaps for the comment.
    A little problem i had was we were playing wysiwyg, and i only had a certain number of stuff.
    These guys are mates so i will try out different things without actually having the model.
    This said i did buy a hellhound yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by MTG Guru View Post
    You have some good basic tools but are lacking some of the most important eldar killing weapons you gan buy... namely flamers and heavy bolters!

Point taken.

This squad is a little bare and yet has a significant points investment. If you really want to use a vox network, you might as well throw a mortar into this squad as well. Otherwise, keep them cheap. Just take a JO with bolter and stick a heavy bolter in the squad for a 'mini' fire support squad.

Will do!

The above squads are probably a little overkill when facing eldar. You could probably afford to drop a squad of lascannons at minimum. This is of course unless you face a lot of wraithlord lists, in which case lascannons will be your friends! Swapping out an autocannon squad for a heavy bolter squad could also be a good option as heavy bolters really put the hurt on fragile eldar infantry.

Next match is against a lot of Wraithguard....

Bare bones? Ten man? I use mine as grenadiers mounted in a chimera with double plasmaguns. Not only can they capture objectives, but the accurate plasma fire threatens the more elite troops like striking scorpians and warp spiders.

I'll try to work that in....

This squad isn't legal as IG cant take multi melta's. While it has some powerful guns, it is unlikely to make use of all its killing potential. I'd drop the fist, plasma guns and just take a heavy bolter and equip the JO with a bolter. Again, creating a 'mini' fire support squad and reducing the target priority of this squad while maintaining a useful leadership bubble.

I'll fix that!

Again, not a vox fan myself but I wont call you on it. Grenade launchers are sweet weapons against eldar, but I'd still favour plasma if only because you can threaten transports that get too close to your lines, as well as kill the more elite eldar troops. Missile Launchers on the other hand are not so good vs eldar. I'd take either auto cannons or heavy bolters in their stead. Also, why CC weapons on your sarge's? I'd just go with a lasgun for the extra shot.

I use the vox so i don't run away after failed combat like i seem to
    Sarge's were just WYSIWYG.

I'd drop the heavy weapon from this squad and take either a flamer or grenade launcher in its place. Actually, what I would REALLY do is put your stormies in here as grenadiers instead. Then, take the men from the fist squad, take an infantry squad from your infantry platoon and drop one of the lascannon support squads to create another Platoon command and infantry squad. This will leave you with a command squad and three infantry squad platoon. Arm them with flamers (command takes 3 please!) and take the drop troops doctrine and prepare for the eldar bbq! I know its broken record time, but I do this and it really puts the hurt on most armies, especially eldar.

LRBT - drop the track guard and take heavy bolter sponsons.
    LRD - Drop this guy and replace with a hell hound instead. If your eldar opponent has never faced off against a hellhound, he will soon learn the meaning of fear (even with an avatar on the board!)

Just a word on said avatar. I've faced a number of eldar armies that included avatars and most of the time I just ignore them and focus on their squishy troops instead. Avatars are pretty slow and are more 'fear factor' than actual threat. You should be able to avoid them with the majority of your forces while still pounding on the other eldar threats.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread