Topic of the Week: The Armoury - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Topic of the Week: The Armoury

There hasn't been a new topic of the week since the 5th so I figured why not add one myself.

The topic of this "week" is the armoury, both the infantry armoury and the vehicle upgrades.

Will you miss them when we get our next codex? Or do you prefer having all the costs the same and in one place? Do you give everyone that has access to the armoury a power weapon? Do you give smoke and pintle mounts to all your vehicles? Or do you ignore it completely and just grab some more men?

Discuss, and try to refrain from posting point costs, with this topic it would be all too easy to say this costs 10 points and the smoke launchers are X points. Thanks.

IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, I just give my vet sarges (I always take them in case my HQ is dead/not nearby) a bolter when I have the few leftover points just because it makes me feel good to give a veteran something better than a flashlight and it's killed some things for me. With regards to vehicles, I just get smoke on them with leftover points.

-GT
    On Warseer: Iracundus: "So you might end up with "renegade" Chapters, but more split due to ideology rather than because the big bogeyman of Chaos suddenly makes them all cackling mustache twirling villains."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only things I get from the armory are bolters for my JOs and vet sgts (I usually have vet sgts leading armored fists), and sometimes a power sword for my HQ.

Senior Member Commissar_Malevich's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would miss the armory. Its the one way I can make the vet. sarg in a rough rider squad a real threat. Nothin like a lil' badass with with honorifica imperialis and a hunting lance/power weapon.
    Armies:
    Nids 2500pts and Breeding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I used to use the armoury a lot...

With my first Cadian Army I had all my veteran sergeants with bolters too. (I'd also converted all the guys to have autoguns rather than lasguns, due to my army background of the army they only used solid shot ammo). Likewise I would make full use of powerswords and the like.

Then I moved onto the tallarns and realised I had to squueze as much out of the army as possible. My sergeants are now armed with only a humble lasgun.

I now rarely use the armoury and spend as many points as possible on the troops amd heavy weapons.

One thing I did like to do with wargear is to ensure that all the members of the same squad have the same range. I had a command squad with storm bolters and Grenade launchers.

I used to run plasma guns in my squads for the same reason, I am now experimenting with Meltaguns instead. (I ended up killing a lot of my own tallarns). Now I plan on having a command squad with JO with Bolter, three plasma guns and a medic then I can always lose one less guy to it gets hot! rules

If the new codex follows the same vein as the current SM Orks etc, I don't think I'll miss it. I only hope:

1) Sergeants can still get lasguns
    2) Squads don't HAVE to take a Heavy Weapon.
    Finally getting round to finshing my Tallarn Imperial Guard Army (2K)
    Everything else has been sacrificed on the Altar of eBay...

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I'll miss it.
    Not that I overwhelm my Vet Sarges or Officers with stuff from it, but I do like to put a little something on a few of them to personilize them. See, I'm more of a modeller and painter than a gamer. I also really enjoy to make up RPG-ish background for them.
    I have upgrades that are in may ways completely useless but it is my belief that they, by their sheer existanse add survivability to the model and it also gives them better luck when it comes to dicerolling.
    The gods of fortune has their eyes on special models see....

I also play Chaos SpaceMarines and when we lost the armoury the whole army lost quite a lot of it's flavour, so I fear the same will happend to the IG-codex once it has been simplified.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

I'll miss it for the single veteran sergeant that I have. He's made with FW parts and some scratch-built stuff, carrying a Bolt Pistol and a Plasma Pistol. I doubt he'll be legal anymore in the new Codex.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I think I'm going to jjoin the chorus of missing the armoury. I don't know if it will go completely though. Vet srages having access to bolters sems somehting they may keep in. Dont forget the armoury may go but nto all ofthe options will.

I use the armoury a fair bit for bolt weapons and the occaisional medal etc. simply to add character or make a cool conversion legal. I thing most sensible mundane options will stay but I do wonder how the will replace the medals, perhaps an officer upgrade system a bit like the Bret virtue system could be used. In fact IF they dont do that Im gonna house rule a set of medals for campaign games.

I also have a question to add, what items do you think will definately go and what will they most probably keep as options?

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    Will you miss them when we get our next codex?
    absolutely NOT, i hate flicking back and forth to that bloody thing in any codex, I'm glad there going
    Do you give everyone that has access to the armory a power weapon?
    of course not, not everyone with access to the armory can even have a power weapon
    Do you give smoke and pintle mounts to all your vehicles? Or do you ignore it completely and just grab some more men?
    I used to give smoke, but in all likely hood there gonna be free now anyway, so who cares

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I will miss it sorely. I love the armoury, and the vehicle upgrades, and I really like how customisable they can make your army (And how you can tweak it.)

I'd expect it to reflect the entrys like the SM etc dex's, and they aren't all that bad, just slightly flavourless. however, it does simplify things.

P.s. It's almost garanteed to go, and with it will be some muched loved mini's / units of mine, The Last Chancers - You just couldn't make them as satisfying without the armoury.

also, codexe's reflect what's on sale at the time - The option for the sgnt to have a shotgun is because they had a cadian with shotgun sgnt (slightly fat one). I can't see them writing anything they can't sell, and Not only are the last chancers on sale, but I can't think of a boltgun or shotgun sgnt (The boltgun sgnt on shelves at the last codex release was the catchan one with the cigar.)
    Although... a ray of light... what's on that command sprue? a shotgun?? A boltgun??? A combi Plasma blastun / vortex Missile/Vulcan Mega Bolter (Methinks that may have to be tripod mounted.)????
    Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; January 23rd, 2009 at 16:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast