Salamanders and the flaming drop pods of doom - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salamanders and the flaming drop pods of doom

Hey there LO, I am a competitive Imperial guard player and I love this forum. I generally lurk while I'm sitting at work, but I need some advice.

There is a new army around my neck of the woods. It's a salamanders army based around the special character in the new marine dex. He basically makes thunder hammers, flamers, and melta weapons a lot better.

His army is based around 2 ten man squads of terminators with thunder hammers, and 4 drop pods full of flamers and meltas.

He basically deep strikes the drop pods right on top of my men, meaning that they will scatter the minimum distance of 1" from my troops and then clears out vast amounts of infantry with his flamers. The squads with meltaguns drop on my tanks and get to blast away with close range melta fire. This basically leaves me maimed. So when the terminators show up all they need to do is sneeze at whats left of my army and I'm done.

The guys list looks something like this:

Vulcan
    10 man assault terminator squad (thunder hammer + storm shield)
    10 man assault terminator squad (thunder hammer + storm Shield)
    10 man tactical squad (flamer, combi-flamer) drop pod
    10 man tactical squad (flamer, combi-flamer) drop pod
    10 man tactical squad (meltagun, multi melta) drop pod
    10 man tactical squad (meltagun, multi melta) drop pod

Vulcan will lead a squad in a drop pod.

Really simple list, but extremely powerful. He took 1st place in the last tournement at my local store and managed to wipe 2 of his opponents off the board.

What do you all think is the best solution for dealing with terminators with storm shields? I mean those things have to be the hardest things to kill that i have ever encountered.

And as for the flamers, I can't think of a single thing to do not to get fricasseed. Any pointers?

Thanks a lot in advance.

my list
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...tive-list.html

Last edited by JonU; January 28th, 2009 at 05:18. Reason: the combi-flamers used to say heavy flamers but I have learned that that is incorrect

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Yes, Vulcan is a popular choice for SM players, and combined with deepstrike, can rain down a lot of hurt

If this army is *really* having your worried, I suggest this:

take a Inq Lord w/ 3 mystics and a normal Inquisitor with 2 mystics. Place them 18" apart and deploy your force around and in between them.

Make sure you place them behind either a LRBT or a Demolisher and 12" out from the table edge. Then deploy your infantry around your tanks so that a drop pod would be unable to get 12" away from your tanks w/out being in their front arc.

This will basically create a "bubble" around your army. If he decides to risk it and deepstrike close your your army, you will get a free tank shot into that unit! Remember, they land the drop pod, deploy the unit onto the table, *then* you roll to see if you are in range of the free shot

You could also just take the one normal inquisitor and 2 mystics (32 pts) and place him front and center behind a demolisher.

You are seeing more of these Anti deep strike inquisitors now that deamons and drop pods are much more common.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

there's also the alternative of keeping everything in reserve (with a good amount of improved comms), though this will mostly just avoid that first turn pounce they get.

but if going all-infantry drop troops, it's his 6 units (3 of which land on the first turn) vs your 25+ units that you can choose to land anywhere, which'll most likely be spots that overwhelm individual squads while force the rest of his army at least 2-3 turns of movement before being able to utilize those flamers (the melta squads will already be mostly useless with lack of your lack of vehicles, though of course they're still dangerous being marines and all).

those terminators are probably best just avoided altogether and forcing him to try to run down one unit per turn with each as those guys lack any ranged weaponry.

i know i said all-infantry, but a few sentinels are also a good take for improved comms and mobile heavy weaponry. remember for reserves, that you roll for an entire platoon together instead of each unit within it separately, even though they act independently otherwise. so you can either stack infantry squads for large reinforcement waves or max out as many suicide command squads as you can get for 2 infantry squads per.
    Last edited by Certs; January 26th, 2009 at 08:04.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the best way to resist flamers is with a mechanized force. Keep them in chimeras and a lot of their weapons are nullified.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Spread out units covering a fairly large area to keep his deep strike away then demo charges on spec weapons squads and russ in the centre of your army to target the rest of his men. remember deepstrike means they are moving so no multimelta shots.

He can only get two fo these squad sin on the first turn then he is up agaisnt your entire army until the other two turn up and wile his termies foot slog.

Or split your army into two equal forces so he has to decide where to drop in, once in obliterate him with combined fire as he will strugle to get towards the second half of your army.

basically only let him get at cheap troops on the turn he drops in!

Dont forget hat it is your whoela rmy against two 10 man marine squads and probably their spec character you should be able to place enough fire to take him down

oh and rough riders!

A

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Hello everyone! I'm here from the Space Marine forums (I'd like to start a guard army, so read this forum for advice, but currently lack the funds. Snow has a funny way of stopping lawn mowing.) and to my knowledge that list the space marine player was/is running is illegal. Tactical squads cannot take heavy flamers, even if Vulkan is in the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

castle up. that looks like a 2k list. in this case, load up on heavy weapons teams and demolishers. spread infantry out at max coherency. problem solved.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Good catch grey2321.

The list he is using is illegal so in effect you ahve nothing to worry about (that is unless he is using moded rules from somewhere).

So step one make him make a legal list then step two hammer him due to his lack of heavy flamers!

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding DS'ing: You have to be able to legally place the model on the table in the intended DS spot, before rolling. He can't just declare that he is DS'ing in the middle of your infantry and "reduce the scatter distance" until its legal. Though the above suggestions of spreading out and limiting the DS spots is a great tactice to use.

The heavy weapon choices for tac squads are ML, HB, MM, PC, LC. Nothing "heavy" that a Tac squad can take is assualt (like a hvy flamer).

The termies might be able to take a hvy flamer though (i think).

2+,3++ on a 10 man terminator squad is vicious. There are plenty of ways to deal with regular termies, but these are very hard to kill. Swarming them would be pretty effective (orks), but as IG you just have to focus fire, blast and template away until he fails saves.

Also, they are pretty slow and they don't have anything to shoot at you with. You could simply run away from them and pick them off with assualt weapons or supporting fire. They can't do anything to you immeditately after the DS.

Also, when you do the rerolls for the THs on them, he can't just sum up the atks and misses. The master-crafted TH only grants 1 reroll per weapon. So they have 2 atks each, and one reroll per model, on that model's misses. The point is that you don't get to reroll every miss in the squad since 1 terminator might miss twice (and only get 1 reroll instead of borrowing the second reroll from a termi that hit both times). Its annoying to do the rolls like that but thats the legality of it and will ultimately reduce the number of possible rerolls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Drop troop list + plasma spam
    I tried to tell you that the heavy flamer tactical squads are illegal but LO wasn't working for me
    Ignore the termies, he can't score with them and there's no way they can make up their huge points investment arriving after turn 1 with no ranged weapons.

And grey although you can't cut grass in the winter there is always shoveling driveways and part time jobs.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast