Are Mechanised Armies Actualy Effective?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Mechanised Armies Actualy Effective??

I just want to know your thoughts on Mech regiments.

Are they actually feasible? they cost a lot of points.

If they are, are the effective as a fighting force? they wouldn't be much good as a balanced/take-all-comers list i imagine, but for fun...????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I don't normally field mech lists, as I feel it takes away the guard's main strength - massed firepower. For objectives based games, you can always take the drop troops doctrine and deepstrike your infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Yeah, mech armies are far too expensive and fragile to be effective. Mech lists require you to be right there in a short-range battle, and the guardsmen's lack of toughness and their lack of close-range weaponry means that your damage output is greatly lowered. Plus, if your Chimera's blow up, theres a good chance that your units will be pinned as a result.

However, mech lists usually come with 3 Leman Russes and when used properly, they can actually work wonders.
    But, you do need to be a good tactician and a lucky one at taht to consistently pull off victories.

As jy2 said, mech lists are usually not very good and you'd be far better off going gunline.
    Last edited by phr0z3n; January 28th, 2009 at 22:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

for powergamers, i wouldn't recommend using a mech list.
    but, for casual players, they're definitely worth trying; fun gameplay, change-up from usual IG tactics, and a refreshing change while still maintaining IG awesomeness.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

mech armies are ok but not great. you need very good tactics and lady luck, because if you lose 1 tank it may throw off your whole battle plan. i go with grav-chute regiment now. they are very effective. they have the numbers and armor game. so its a good multi-role mix.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Currently Chimerae are quite overpriced. Once they get a drop in points in the new codex they will be more viable for spamage.

The theory of a fully mechanised list has always been effective however. You opponents 6 lascannons are unlikely to be able to kill both your 3 Russes, your 1-3 Hellhounds AND your 3-6 Chimerae before they themselves get obliterated, and your opponents heavy bolters and other anti infantry weapons will have no targets at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 (x4)

the thing about that theory is, it's not about killing our tanks,
    just getting at least a glance on them to shake/stun-lock them while they work down killing them off.

and str6-8 do just as well at accomplishing that with side armor shots, let alone any combat units with str 4 or better going against av10 for the majority of our vehicles.

while our vehicles pack a heavier punch than our infantry, the lack of numbers (and the stun-lock) seriously negates that advantage. making every bad ordinance scatter that much more detrimental to the mech list.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

why can you only take 3 Leman Russes? i want to use all 4 of mine

I was thinking about making a mech army, this thread has cleared up alot for me.
    We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

136 (x4)

You can only take 3 Russes because you can only have 3 Heavy Support choices, sorry.

This *may* change in the new Codex, there may be options for more 'Russes, either not as Heavy Support, or more than 1 as 1 Heavy Support Choice.. But we won't know for sure until the Codex comes out.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reference to a Mech list being ineffective against power gamers i have to disagree. I run a Mech list with my Steel Legion and rocks especially against horde armies. YOu can either hang back and shoot the crap out of the enemy from long range (mass chimeras=mass multilasers + heavy bolter shots). And with adding the Veterans and Grenadiers doctrine you give your squads plasma and melta guns to take care of anti tank if or when you surge forward. Slaughtered and Eldar player with the first tactic and a Tau player with the second.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast