Trouble with Tau Mechanised - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Trouble with Tau Mechanised

How do we deal with Tau mechanised armies?

I have played this guy for 3 games, in the last 2 games, he switched his tactics by keeping his firewarriors mounted and just went on hammering everything I have with his 3 Broadsides and jumping crisis suit missile pods.

When my turn comes, I only get to shoot at his Hammerheads and he has that distruption pod thing that keeps them obscured.

Whenever my infantry comes up late game to attempt to capture an objective, they get shot to bits due to overwhelming short range firepower by stealth suits in waiting, crisis suits hiding behind cover with their 36" range.

I run a list with:
    2 leman russes
    1 demolisher
    1 hellhound
    1 Command squad with close combat loadout in a chimera
    2 lascannon squads
    1 autocannon squad
    1 mortar squad
    1 infantry command with 3 plasmas and a medic
    1 infantry command with 3 flamers in chimera
    4 infantry squads with meltagun
    1 remnant squad with flamer
    1 remnant squad with plasmagun

Power of the list is that if the enemy comes close to my deployment side, my late coming infantry reserves with inflict massive casulties on the enemy.

But after 2 games, he became very smart and kept at least 24 inches therefore making all my infantry reserves useless. He will then zoom on to the objectives with his vehicles and pop out the gun drones to contest my objective while he is holding his with a mounted firewarrior.

Help!!

"Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice is to subsitute 1 lemun rusk and the demolisher with 2 basilisks upgraded with indirect fire, the basilisks will take out the hammerheads from a distance while you block the way to the basilisks with your lemun rusk and your infantry. Thats my way to do it anyway.

Warmaster Riva - Duty and Honour
    "Emperor show mercy to the fool that stands against me, for I shall not"

Warmaster Demetrius, 733.M38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

There's always going the deep strike route and dropping on top of him. Nothing says hi like a platoon of melta falling down around you!
    "Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats's very true, seeing that you'll get obliterated at long range combat with the Tau almost 99.99% of the time you play them. The drop troops doctrine should let you straight into the battle where his range doesn't count for nothing so you can shoot the hell out of him, just make sure you don't land on a mine.

Warmaster Riva - Duty & Honour
    "Emperor show mercy to the fool that stands against me, for I shall not"

Warmaster Demetrius, 733.M38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I would go for the Basilisk route, with a few small Drop troops. Mortar support teams work nicely too.

Use his tactic against him. you can't shoot him because you can't see him.

don't let him see you, but still let you shoot him.

Indirect fire lets you hit him, without him hitting you.

I know cover isn't what it used to be now in 5th ed, but Bassies still can rain and ignore LoS blocking cover. they also get the 2d6 pick highest armor penetration, because it's ordinance.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

How many troops do you keep in reserve? If you don't start with everything on the table then doing so would be a good beginning.

Why do your infantry have no heavy weapons? They need them! Anything is a good choice against Tau, particularly lascannons if Broadsides are giving you trouble. With lots of ranged firepower you can begin setting up crossfires to punish the JSJ tactic, not to mention reliably cracking his transports. Lose the Chimerae or the command squad upgrades to afford them. If you don't have the models then take the drop troops doctrine and deepstrike all but two squads (to hold your own objective and cover your tanks...see below.)

How is the morale of your men? Guard can win a battle of attrition against Tau. Keep your troops motivated and in cover, blasting away...those suits can only pass so many saves before Tau's abysmally low leadership starts to bite him.

You may be trying too hard to take objectives. This is IG's main weak spot and sometimes it's best to play for a tie than a win. Try denying your enemy his objectives rather than attempting to claim several yourself.

One quick tactic is to put a squad in front of your tanks to gaurantee them cover saves. That'll double their survivability against Railguns. You'll lose the men to pulse fire but you can always choose for them to be pinned after the first volley.

Your current list is ideally set up for an armored assault. Make him set up first, then group your tanks so that the three Russes can advance together while being shielded (meaning cover save) by the Hellhound. The Hellhound is disposable if his troops are cowering anyway. Put the tanks up in his face and have the remnant squads following behind them to bayonet the survivors. (You'll need your command squads to maintain morale on the gunline.) If you can flank his army then he can't JSJ anymore--he'll be trapped between battlecannons on the side and man-portable guns in his face, and then he can't do anything but pray for the game to end.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread