Sentinels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sentinels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sentinels

Hey i was wondering what is the best weapon to put on Sentinels and with them only getting one weapon (unless you use the flamer and chainsword) are they worth while putting into your army when you can use other units like stormtroppers with plasma as AT to deepstrike in. or with there realitively low point cost do you just put more in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Well, in my experience, the true value of the sentinel it its appearance. Yep - that sounds really silly, but the average opponent will look at it in one of two ways - either a) Bugger, it's a dreadnought for the Imperial Guard, or B ) it's basically a Guardsman with hydraulic legs. Either way it plays into your hands - they either focus far too much firepower on them or they ignore them and suffer the consequences.

Anyway, the best weapon - that entirely depends. I face alot of MEQ's, so I use the auto cannon alot. Against the Eldar I'd reccomend the multi laser. What race do the majority of you opponents play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya i face alot of MEQ's--> Space marine, Necron, Chaos Marine's, the one semi GEQ is A Eldar army but i don't think he likes low armor so he doesn't have many troops although he is currently changing it. right now he runs alot of Light vehicles. The one other army is tau but i he doesn't play a whole lot. Right now i have Autocannons put on them. i took my Hellhound out to put them in because they would armor save most of my wounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loading sentinels with autocannons is in my humble opinion the best possible load out for them. Autocannons combined with outflank means that you will usually have a shot at the rear armor (or at least side) of your opponent's vehicles.

I can say with a clear conscience that more than half of the games I've used sents in 5th I have taken out at least 1 vehicle. The huge range and the multiple shots really up your chances at damaging vehicles. I don't believe that there is a good load out for dealing with MEQ but their tanks are a breeze for sentinels.

I mean if you look at any army out there I'm sure that you'll find the perfect vehicle for sentinels to target.

Not to that this is the only way of running them, I'm just saying that I have had extreme success with them in 5th edition. The old axiom, "guard vehicles kill infantry and guard infantry kill vehicles" might be challenged with how well Sentinels with autocannons can deal with vehicles. Just don't point them at monoliths.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

actually I beleive any weapon can be good on a seninel in 5th
    Mobile/outflanking lascannons or autocannons
    deepstriking/outflanking heavy flamers
    farseer/ low T character finding multi lasers

It should be noted that heavy flamer sentnels work really well just flaming and charging a squad with S3 or lower.
    Just don't give them any upgrades, it's a waste of points.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite weapon is the multilaser. Still wounds MEQs on 2s while having more shots than the autocannon, and 3 S6 shots is better than 2 S7 against AV 10 and 11 in my experience. Also S6 is just as much instant death against T3 as S7 is.

However multilasers mean you're in heavy bolter range which turn sentinels into swiss cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya but even at hb range it's a win win sit if they shoot the hb at the sentinel it's less anti-infintry fire to worry about , if they fire las at the sentinel it increases the chance of a decent tank surviving another round and if they ignore it 3 str 6 shots whats not to like?
    Believe in me, even if we are torn apart our feelings will unite us that is what this post is all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite option is a dropping a hardened fighter sentinal with a heavy flamer.burn baby burn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

For me, Lascannons a definate NO! 1 shot at 50/50 odds at hitting wouldnt scare me overly much, if the enemy has no big strength armour left i find them of little use firing at anything else.

Flamers, i find to many infantry and cc units can take them out hand 2 hand with their weedy armour so i prefer to keep a disance. Although i find them invaluable versus the tau, they provide the perfect distraction to allow my other units to get close and if ignored will rip though fire warriors and the likes

Multi-lasers by far my favourite, good agaist transports and veicles and perfect for backing up my troops then charging in to protect a valuable squad from CC.

Autocanon, best all rounder in my opinion. Fantatic at light vehicle hunting and never wasted shots on tougher enemies, the extra rage makes them super lethal aswel and perfect for backing up other units unexpectidly.

Decide what there job is going to be, then equip them accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

My favorite is the Lascanon, but because I use the chimeras for the daka.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast