How to deal with a Marine Gunline? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

How to deal with a Marine Gunline?

So next week in a 2v2 league that I'm in I'll be going up against 2 Marine players (Well, 1 marine player using 2 marine armies, I can explain if you're interested) that in my experience typically make a marine gunline using Devs, Scouts w/Telion, Sternguard, and Tacticals. The only armor actually fielded by them would be a LRC, Vindicator, a Drop Pod, and a Whirlwind, with the possibility of a MM Dreadnought or 2. Last time I played him he ran both Calgar and Sicarius. I run mechanized marines and my partner will be Tau, who will be packing Railguns and Firewarriors for effective anti-tank and volume of fire. Now I'm stuck wondering what I should bring. This is a competitive league, so I'm pretty well stuck with what I have. Any tactics to deal with this or advice on what to bring would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Mech is the way to go here. Load up on armor and head for his lines ASAP. He can't destroy all your vehicles and with the Tau's support you should have his big threats eliminated easily. Once there, force his saves with tons of bolter and flamers or some Sternguard Vengeance rounds. Use your speed to his his army from one side so you can bring your full force against a portion of his static army.

Static gunline = fail in 5th edition, go show him why.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x1)

Should I take heavy weapons in my tactical squads then if they'll be riding around at break-neck speeds in Rhinos? How about Razorbacks, should I take a tac squad with a special weapon and missile launcher, combat squad it, and put the special weapon squad in the Razorback?

Also, Heavy Support: What should I fill out my other 2 slots with? (The Vindicator is mandatory for me.)

Also, should I take any terminators? I plan on running a Land Raider Redeemer, should I throw in some TH/SS Terminators to ride in it also?

Last question for now, what should I bring in regards to HQ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I'd just stick to Rhinos, they're cheap and let you ferry all your marines if need be. For heavy weapons, stick to the freebies, even if you don't get a shot off they don't cost anything.

More Vindicators would be nice for heavy support, as would cheap Dakka Preds and Land Raiders.

Land Raiders should have a good time as marine gunlines really don't have much to threaten them beyond meltas up close and the conversion beamer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he packs anti tank devastators and your using transports then you'll have to give them a wide berth or destry them as quickly as possible using the railguns in your team. Try the spearhead approach, focus your fire of one section of the gunline the utilise the break that will ensue, but be careful of being caught in the crossfire, break his units up and then pick the off at your lesure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x1)

Well, here's what I'm considering bringing:

Pedro
    A 5-man Sternguard squad (All Bolters) with a Heavy Bolter Razorback
    A Flamer/ML Tac squad in a Rhino
    A Flamer/ML Tac squad in a Rhino
    A Plasma/(ML?) Tac squad in a Rhino
    Land Raider Redeemer with a Multi-melta
    Vindicator
    Dakka Pred
    Techmarine in a Servo-harness. He'll probably ride in the Land Raider for the most part and pop out to fix the vehicles.

I'm still not entirely sure what to use as my HQ, or whether or not I should take terminators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see flamers doing much against Marines. Then again, I love Plasma guns. I also dislike Techmarines other than the Master of the Forge. They just don't do enough to warrent their cost.
    "This is delightful! It's like someone stabbed Mr. Bubble!" -Stewie, from Family Guy

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I have a different approach on your strategy. Your partner the Taus are one of the best shooting armies. By rushing towards your opponent, you are severly handicapping your ally. That's less shooting for them, not to mention your vehicles will block their LOS. I think you should sit back and let him come to you guys. Your sternguards are deadly when they form a gunline and you have enough anti-tank to make him want to assault you, or at least I think you do. And when you rush them, it's almost 2-on-1 cuz the taus aren't going to rush.

I don't know if you're set on your models, but I'd field maybe 1 full squad of sternguards with Pedro, split them into 2 combat squads and give each a razorback. I'd also probably drop the pred and techmarine and get a devastator squad split them up into 2 combat squads also. You'll have a lot of firepower as well as flexibility in who you shoot. And if you need to go for objectives, just pop your guys in your rhinos/razorbacks and go. Just make sure to be within 2" of your rhino's side and destroy his vindicator/whirlwind fast.

Side note: hey, my suggested army looks a lot your like opponents existing army! And maybe with Pedro on both sides also! Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x1)

Unfortunately I don't have any devastator squads. I'd really like to get a box of them or two for the heavy weapons, but I don't have the $$$ right now.

Also, a tiny flaw to the combat-squadded Sternguard- Can't give both combat squads a Razorback. Although this could be remedied by simply buying 2 five-man Sternguard squads.

I do think that is an interesting take on what I should do, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

If the Tau player is smart he'll be running Mechanized too. Use his Devilfishes to screen your vehicles and give them cover while his trio of Railheads blows away any big tanks on your opponent's side of the board.

Your list needs to focus on vehicles, both of you. Tacs in Rhinos, Termies on Land Raiders, and Vindicators/Predators/Speeders to fill the remaining points.

Your proposed list is a good start, but I'd definitely ditch the expensive Sternguard and Kantor for Terminators and powerfists for all your Tactical Squads. Termies+Librarian should be an effective duo. If possible, field 2 Land Raiders to bring even more pain on your opponent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast