Mixing Weapons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you mix weapons in a squad?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 37.93%
  • No

18 62.07%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Weapons?

CKO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Mixing Weapons?

Do you mix weapons?

Example
    1 melta gun 1 plasma gun grenaders
    2 autocannons 1 heavy bolter fire squad

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, because special weapons come mixed. You can't buy two plasma grenadiers, you buy a blister with 1 plasma and 1 melta, and I don't feel like converting.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Nope I don't if Im buying say a blister with two different weapons I get two and end up with two squads. The weapons choices are notoriously bad for a lot of GW stuff. If it is plastic (ie. for vets) then well no excuse really!

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Vets I go with 2 Meltas and a Plasma, but Grenadiers pack Plasmas. The 4+ makes it worth it, and since they're in a Chimera I can lose one and still have another plasma guy.

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

I think it may be a little vague as far as who is mixing special weapons. Infantry squads can't have two of the same weapons, thus I voted "yes". In other cases I would say no, but it really depends on what you are trying to do. With my sisters I will run a Heavy flamer and a melta in the same squad just to scare people away and have a little diversity. I think that a squad or two that can adapt readily is never a bad thing. You can have a sqaud of what ever all ready to go tank killing and chances are is that they will end up 40'' away fro a vehicle and surrounded by infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a big fan of giving squads a specific role in my army and mixing special weapons seems to weaken this. i don't think that any specials really complement one another well enough to justify taking a different weapon, with the exception of demo charges and flamers , but demo charges arn't really specials tho are they?
    If he persists, put a metal dreadnought in a sock and hit him once with it. Keep it within reach during your next game.
    Rannos

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I voted no. My squads are made and equipped with specific jobs in mind.

Stormtroopers: Twin Plasma (Or the rarer, but occasional sight of twin melta)

HQ command: Bad language and free weapons only.

Troop HQ: Twin flamers, a melta occasionally (Depends how "drop trooper" i'm going)

Anti-tank / Fire support: I would never even consider mixing them - the combinations possible just aren't compatible enough:

ML is for busting Light Armour / hordes. LasC is for Heavy Armour / armoured inf. Do not mix.

Autocannon is for Light Armour / Ranged anti - infantry. Heavy Bolter is for infantry only. Do not mix.

Special Weapon Squads?
    Of course, they have a demo charge. Then they have flamers if I feel generous. (Melta guns used to be included, but that job's now taken by remnant squads as they're scoring and buy equipment cheaper, without a doctrine being used.)

Hardened Vets:
    I have a shotgun / pwr.fist assault squad with 3 grenade launchers (It was designed to kill Eldar, as i got so annoyed with them in the height of the Falcon era.)
    I have a triple plasmagun squad with optional Missile Launcher, for beating down Marines.
    I normally use a 5 man squad with a Lascannon.
    I wouldn't feel too comfy mixing them up too much - there is scope for a flamer / melta squad, and outflanking with them, but it's never survived cuts to the final list.

Mind you, this is my talking about just guard. I have a 10 man CSM chosen squad who have exeeded all expectations and repeatedly got "Man of the match" for sheer carnage, and they have two flamers and two melta's. (and a icon of khorne & P.Fist. 40 charging attacks when they come in from the side. after flaming / meltaing. Ouch.)

Last game: They came on and decimated a ten man tac squad and devastators, (Same turn) then next turn went on to charge and butcher a dreadnaught and terminators. They were only stopped by a full assault squad with chaplain charging them, and they reduced the assaulters to 3 men before giving up. They kicked donkey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

No, my former army was Eldar, so I have a strong over specialization style of play. I respect the idea of flexibility, but I enjoy playing especialization.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

CKO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

I voted yes, most people assume that a certain unit is going to be at the right spot to execute their specific role. With your opponent deepstriking, outflanking, and use of cover the chances of this happening is low.

Storm trooper squads with a melta gun and plasma gun gives you versatility. This unit can pop tanks, instant kill multi-wound creatures, and still have enough fire power to harm meqs. Its one less shot, but the added versatility is well worth it(targeters help alot when determining if you should try to pop a tank or shoot at a squad as you can see if your within 6).

Fire squads with 2 autocannons and 1 heavy bolter, puts out enough shots to be anti-troop, but can still put wounds on high toughness creatures or pop transport. You save enough points to turn grenade launchers into meltas/plasma guns. Wound allocation and range differences is a slight problem that you will eventually get use to.

Its an easy way to save points and its easier to play when your units that are trying to claim/contest objectives can do everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

No,

I dremeled the barrels off some IG melta guns and plastic space marine plasma gun barrels I have laying around and glued the plastic plasma barrels on the end of the metal melta gun IG models so I have all plasma in my platoon squads. I only run flamers in my officer squads.

If the Medusa seige cannons becomes legal, with the new codex, I will probable put all my plasm guns on the shelf and grenade launcher spam in my platoon squads for the mobility. I still won't mix weapons though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast