How Good Is A Scout Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

How Good Is A Scout Army?

I’m always looking for new different styles of gameplay, hence why none of my current armies plays similar to the other.

I’ve heard that an army made up of mostly scout units is a very interesting one to play with, so I’d like to find out more about what a scout force is like to play from people who have used such a force or seen one in action. Such questions like…

“Does the scout lower skill and armour level ever become a problem?”
    “How nasty are those mines that the bikers carry?”
    “What armies is it effective against?”
    “What are they like to play?”
    “How is the best way to structure the army?”
    “Could such an army do well at a tournament?”

Any info would be very helpful?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

A very similar question was raised just a few days ago, here is a linky to it :librarium-online scout army

Basically, the drawbacks are offset by their cost.

As stand-alone units, i've had mixed results. Against MEQ units, the lower stats are a problem, and I really question their usefulness when faced with a vehicle-heavy list, but considering you can field 60 scouts for 840points (no upgrades), thats a lot of bolter/sniper shots, so perhaps it could be worth it.

I wouldnt know about the scout bike mines as i've never used them, though i hear they work well =)

A scout-based army is just average against most things, and i would say it would fail entirely against a vehicle heavy list, eg, IG.

To play scouts, you've got to be a little more careful with where you put them, and take a few less risks. It is possible however to get a unit into a 2+ cover save, so as ranged support, they really have the chance to shine.

Tourney-wise, I think a scout-army could work. You would still need a good HQ unit in there, and consider some real heavy support to back them up.

HTH

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they would match up quite nicely against light infantry armies likes Orks and IG (That is, IG's who don't try to swamp you in tanks, and even then each Scout squad can carry a Missile Launcher) and possibly Eldar because of superior ranged capabilities. Bolters are <3, and as long as you have some cover you can outshoot almost anything. In Assaults you still have superior armour saves to most infantry units (save the Tau, who shouldn't want to get in close combat with you anyway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a combat scout army would be interesting as you can get all 60 scouts for 640 points since combat weps and bolt pistols cost no extra and would you like 60 armoured mean infiltrating and outflanking all over the place. Then all you need is the power fist and bikers to take out tanks. Though you would probably need to make one of the scout squads into a fire base so you HQ doesnt get pulped. Not sure a fire base scout army would work though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

You know there is a scout army list in the Apocalypse Reload book.

I think the army is playable and having seen your previous armies it will be interesting too!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah that apocalypse list does look fun but i wonder if its any good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last apoc game I played the scout bike land mines were VITAL.....it really messes with someones mind when they are afraid of going into cover..the mind games you can play are much more important than the actually impact of the mines though
    For Michigan Apoc news and meetups.. www.mi40k.com

+ Reply to Thread