How To Beat Shooty Smurfs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing 800pts vs UltraMarines:

He's basically fielding the following:
    devastator squad (2 plasma cannons & missile launcher)
    2 troops (each with a lascannon)
    predator (3 lascannons 1 TL)
    Deathwatch killteam
    Bike squad (3 bikes + attack bike with heavy bolter)

ie: 5 lascannons, 2 plasma cannons, 1 missile launcher.

It's an objective based game, so I can't just sit back and shoot.
    tried Deep striking, but I just can't get enough troops
    to survive the first round of shooting to do any significant damage.

please help!

=][= Jax

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... Dark eldar would be perfect in this situation to just fire back.

Depending on how he plays, if he plays shooty, try shooting back

If he assaults, or goes for the objective, stay back and shoot him to death

Just stay back and shoot lol

Or

Run around cover and make your way to the objective staying out of his los. If he moves to see you his heavy weapons won't be able to hit you, and you move back to cover where he can't see you.

BAh, that's all I can suggest. I do not know too much bout Daemonhunters
    "There is no middle ground. Strike Hard, strike fast and strike first."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried the orbital strike, hammer him with that then deep strike your boyz on him. The orbital strike should whack a bunch and if you use it on one of his devastator squads, bye bye half of his heavy weps. Bring a dread with twin las and a mis lnchr, but use him good make sure you get the first shot with him or dont even bring em.

what is your army set up, maybee we can help tweek it a little bit.

LH19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everytime I've tried orbital strike before, it never hit any troops. haven't
    played it in a while though..worth a try.

tried Dread with TLLC and ML, but it only gets one turn and then destroyed in the next. (Smurf has uncanny ability to roll 6's on damage table.)
    tried LR (also LasCan. fodder - see above )
    My most effective unit that I have played so far is the callidus assasin. She takes care of the devastator squad every time usually use her in conjuntion with an Inq. with PsyCannon / Gun Servitor with Plasma Cannon 2 Sages protected by storm troopers as meat shields.
    Both of these are fairly effective, but the rest of my troops get shot to pieces.
    tried dread(s) - lascannon fodder
    tried DS (rapid fire / plasma cannon fodder)
    tried Grand Master & ret. (shot before could get into close combat - all those double toughness weapons are a pain! (even with Icon)

the only other thing I can think was daemonhosts (nasty DS havoc , but allas, I don't have the models.

=][= Jax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jax

are you remembering to use the rule where your opponents have to role to be able to see you,,,can't remember what its called. that should help your dread at long range, like around 40+ inches, i'm sure you are.....

do you equip you lr and dread with smoke grenade lnchrs?

yeah an 800 pt game plays to your weakness in expensive units. He can field more troops on average and equip em better then you can. try playing a larger game against the smurfss

LH19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighthorse,

I take it you're refering to the shrouding.
    Dreads don't benefit from this (alas),
    and the GKs that I have used that do benefit from this, at least 2 of his squads pass the test at over 36" (psyCannon range) ie: Dead PAGKs.

yeah, must agree - small points suck (unless you play 40k in 40 mins rules - then
    we can hold our own.)

jax

oh, and yes, I use smoke launchers And hull down tactics (cover), but by turn 3 (max) the dreads are dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Don't take any vehicles - his army is built around anti-armor. He'll drop any rhinos/dreadnoughts/raiders you can bring.

Take units with invulnerable saves. All those Lascannons and Plasma Cannons negate all your armor saves, so invuln is the way to go. The Callidus, like you mentioned, is a good choice. Take a few DCA's, maybe.

I'd take a couple of maxed units of IST's with plasmaguns. Use the same nasty trick on him that he's playing on you, negating power armor.

Because of the number of blast templates he has, keep your squads at the maximum 2" apart so that he can't hit more than two or three models per template.

ALL GK you field should deepstrike. They don't have the survivability or speed to march, especially against a shooty foe. If you fill up your core choices with Plasma IST's, you can put all your GK in fast attack. In conjuntion with Orbital Strike, this can toss a huge wrench in his plans. Take large units, 6 or more, with no more than one heavy weapon each (your preference, I'd take psycannons here, but you don't have a lot of points to work with). 12+ stormbolter shots and 3 psycannon shots will definitely hurt a squad of SMurfs. And because he has so many lascannons, he can only pop a few every turn. So large FAGK units can absorb a few losses, including their heavy weapon guy, and then move into assault with at least 4 or 5 men left per squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jax

yup thats the one, dooh forgot about that with the dreads,,,,,passes em over 36 , check his dice lol.

i'd agree with mega then,, bring stormies for troops, deep strike your termies and GKs, bring a cladius assassin and just get loose on him.

good luck

LH19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

I wouldn't actually suggest ANY terminators. Losing a 3+ save is bad enough, but losing the termie's save at their cost!? Take either a BC w/o guard or a Lord with a minimal shooty retinue. GKT are WAY too expensive for games under 1500 or 2000 points.

Probably a Lord w/ icon of the just (no extra armor, he comes with p.armor already). 3 warriors (plasma cannon & 2 heavy bolters or plasma cannon & 2 plasma guns would work nicely here). 2 sages if you're getting the cannon, always. Acolytes are handy, but you're trying to save points.

Buy that HQ and 2 IST squads with plasma. Advance the IST, keep the Inq in cover (shooting out of a building or forest would be handy here, it'd give you a cover save AND an invulnerable save), and call down the GK. You can probably only afford one unit of them because of the points limit. Orbital Strike could potentially screw up his tank or heavy teams, as they tend to not move much (until a Lance hits near them ), but might be too expensive to add into this game. Callidus should appear next to a Dev squad for maxed effect.

Without any idea what models you have to work with, I'd take something like this list:
    -Lord (Icon), 1 Plasma Cannon, 2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Sages
    -Callidus
    -2x7 IST, 2 plasma each
    -9 FAGK, no special weapons
    -Lance Strike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

taking orbital strike might help abit, but i rather spend those points on getting more storm troopers or increase the inquistor's squad. and taking assassins would help. vindicare or callidus would be the 2 good options.

i'm not sure about this, but can you take a witch hunter exocist as allies??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast