Shrike and his squad question. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

Shrike and his squad question.

I was reading my codex re: Shrike and had to make a double take.

I'd not used him under the new rules but was preparing too when I noticed the subtle wording for his special rules. I'd made the assumption that his ability to infiltrate was blessed upon a squad he joined before battle but it appears not! If I'm reading correctly it is on HIS squad, meaning his Command Squad.

Someone tell me this isn't true (and back it up) please. Could see alot of point sticking an assualt squad with him and infiltrating but very little point with a HQ squad......they simply can't move with him!..........unless on bikes at a push........an expensive push at that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Haha, welcome to the perfection that is GW's rules wording.

Through common opinion, it means 'the squad he is attached to', so feel free to infiltrate a devvie squad if you want...

There is a _lot_ of debate bouncing around the net as to being able to infiltrate another IC with him, for example, Shrike + Jump Chappy + 10man assault squad. As a unit, those 12 models pack a real punch, but it is down to rules interpretation (which varies from player to player) as to the meaning of a 'Unit' and a 'Squad'.

I'll be infiltrating Shirke with a Jump Chappy and 10Assault marines until GW tell me otherwise! When my opponent argues, I always go with a roll-off instead of wasting hours arguing the rules.

CR
    Last edited by CleanRabbit; February 23rd, 2009 at 18:30. Reason: meh, cant spell, wont spell....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Yeah. It is a shame the HQ squad can't get jump packs. You could always use Vanguard or a command squad with bikes.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

As CleanRabbit stated, 'his squad' simply means the squad that he happens to join, and this is accepted throughout the 40k community, so there's nothing to worry about there.

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

That'll do me nicely! Thanks for your thoughts guys.

;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there!

Just a thought, why spend 195pts on a single modell?

A Scout squad with 9 scouts with bolt pistol and combat blade +sergeant with power wep and melta bombs are only 160pts.
    This unit is able to: Infiltrate, then use the scoutmove, normal move, fire, then charge and be in combat the 1st turn. (Giving 10 pistol shots and 31(!) melle attacks)

In my oppinion its better spent points and you can probably take out more with 10 scouts then solo Shrike can =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleman View Post
    Hi there!

Just a thought, why spend 195pts on a single modell?

A Scout squad with 9 scouts with bolt pistol and combat blade +sergeant with power wep and melta bombs are only 160pts.
    This unit is able to: Infiltrate, then use the scoutmove, normal move, fire, then charge and be in combat the 1st turn. (Giving 10 pistol shots and 31(!) melle attacks)

In my oppinion its better spent points and you can probably take out more with 10 scouts then solo Shrike can =D
    Good point, but you missed a few details.

1) Shrike is a HQ option with stats to reflect that.
    2) Lightning claws
    3) He also grants the whole army Fleet. I'd like to see a scout do that...
    4) jump pack means 12inch move + run + fleet =)
    5) HQ units are generally easy to kill on their own in reality, what makes them better than any other unit is their special rules and such that they confer to the rest of the army or unit they are attached to.
    6) Scouts have pretty naff BS/WS and armour compared to Shrike, meaning they would die far more easily at both range and CC than Shrike (and almost all other HQ's too...) while failing to hit far more often.

Think of it this way, Shrike on his own vs 10man scout squad at 32inch range. Who's you're money on? Mine is on Shrike...

CR

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

As CleanRabbit said, there's a world of difference between an HQ selection like Shrike and a Troop selection like a squad of Scouts. Not to mention, Scouts don't have the greatest stats in the world, unfortunately. I would rather rely on Shrike in combat than a unit of Scouts; the Scouts are a great support unit for an Assault Squad or something like that, but they aren't really a "Shrike replacement."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember the talk around my LGS, Shrike was Errata'd for this very reason, something about his rules not actually confering if you followed the letter of the law in deployment.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by CleanRabbit View Post
    Good point, but you missed a few details.

2) Master Crafted Lightning claws With Rending

CR
    fixed, lol. Not that you really need rending on a lightning claw when killing scouts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast