Hardened Veterans or Storm Troopers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hardened Vets or Stormtroopers?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hardened Vets

12 54.55%
  • Stormtroopers

10 45.45%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Hardened Veterans or Storm Troopers?

Should I take Hardened vets or storm troopers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

As of right now, Hardened Vets generally do any jobs better than Stormtroopers, unless you're taking those stormies as Grenadiers, in which the fact that they become scoring units is a big plus.

However, with all the rumors coming down the pipeline, you might hold off on your pick until all the rules are official.

Which is why I didn't vote heh
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardened veterans, cause the doctrines work on them, they are able to carry more special weapons plus they are also able to carry the heavy weapons. Modified with a doctrine they can get good decent weapon skill as well.

But problem is that rumor about new rules stuff etc.. about doctrines that says that it might not be available anymore.So things could change.. For now in my humble opinion hardened veterans is better.
    No retreat, No surrender.. got questions ? ask the Commissar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now, Vets get to benefit from the Guard Infantry Doctrines, they cost less, and can be equipped with more weaponry (3 special and one heavy as opposed to 2 special for the stormies).

On the other hand, as stated before you can make stormies into scoring units, which is a plus. I voted for the vets, but I often end up with some of each, and who knows - the rumours make me think they might be worth it when the new codex comes out.
    "The objective is to win, the point is to have fun."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Depends a lot of the new codex, ie. if the vets can be played like common troop and scoring units, but the stormies dont, then I go for the vets, even if the stormies have a better cost/power ratio.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

both, then swap and change some games, or use both some others.

with the new codex I'll definitely say troopers, although I wanna see what they do with vets, just for modeling opportunities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on what you want to use them for and who you’re playing against. Generally for a fire platform I’ll take stormies, they only get two specials but they can take more of a beating. Vets I generally play as tank hunters, three meltas, sarge with melta bombs, nice little unit, not much use against Chaos Marines, where you want to keep away from them as far as possible, unless you want to tie up units in assault, in which case sentinels and armoured fists work wonders.

Just plan on what you want them to do and how they are likely to fare against your opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use veterans with my standard list and so far they've had pretty consistent victories against enemy armor that just isn't expecting that flanking vet squad accompanied with sentinel anti-infantry support.

They work pretty well with deep striking too, but they typically don't live past their second turn after they have dropped in behind the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those flanking vets are good, provided you get the roll early and before the rest of your army is dust. Combined with deep striking stormies (armed with meltas for head hunting role) they can give you two potentially nasty units in your opponents line that can switch as appropriate. Again, though, it depends on who you play, deep striking stormies against marines is the best way I can think of to throw away a 75pts unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Wow, necro AND spam...
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast