Rules so Marines will represent their Fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Rules so Marines will represent their Fluff

Marines that fit the fluff

Ok Iím going to try and make Space Marines fit their fluff better and probably rant about other problems I see in 40K a bit as well (digressions in brackets). Iím sure Iím not the only one who notices a substantial difference between the effectiveness of Marines in the fluff and their effectiveness on the Table Top itís time for that to be rectified! No longer will they be the army of beginners but will require real tactical flare, which is how a Space marine commander would handle them. Always fighting outnumbered and winning against impossible odds.

Space Marines General Rules/Equipment
    Power Armour: will now grant a 2+ Save and 5+ Invulnerable
    Terminator Armour: will add 1 to Strength and Toughness, as well as a 2+ Save and 4+ Invulnerable. Yes this means Strength 9 Power Fists, it is Tactical Dreadnought Armour letís see a little more Dreadnought a little less Tactical.
    (Why donít you take armour saves after hits and before wounding, wouldnít that be the logic order?)
    Bolter: Now Strength 5 AP4, itís a rocket propelled grenade launcher it, should be able to hurt a Trukk
    Storm Shield: 3+ invulnerable and units attempting to attack model with it loses 1 attack to minimum of one.

Basic Marines now have 2 attacks.
    Everything else is pretty good, obviously Power armour units need to be adjusted to meet these changes, but scouts are good and vehicles are good.

Points Changes Iím thinking around 40 for a standard marine 70 for a Terminator

These are the basic changes everything else can kind of just form around them.

Now this is going to be a small army, smaller than Grey Knights small, but that is fluffy right? Well Grey Knights would be even smaller, but compared to everyone else it would conform more to the fluff.
    (the reason these arenít the rules is because then GW wouldnít sell nearly as many models.)

These are just some fluff ideas and Iím sure someone over at the Bolter and Chainsword has gone into way more depth but I just wanted to share my ideas with you guys.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

It'll never happen... but I like it. The only change I don't like is that there is very little difference between Terminator armor and power armor. For 30 points, I'd expect more.

I do like the bolter changes, the attack changes and so on though. Neat ideas...

cheers,
    Black Templar (W/D/L): 4/6/2
    Dark Eldar (W/D/L): 4/1/0
    Warriors of Chaos (W/D/L): 3/0/1

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Perhaps Terminator Armor should allow the wearers to strike at initiative with THs and PFs?
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was something like this in White Dwarf, titled space marines in the movies or something like that. The marines had an toughness equal to Cassius (can't state value) and something like re-roll inv saves. They came individually, no squads. However the rules are unofficial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Yeah it was in WD 300 for me they kept their normall save but if they failed it they got to try their invul save. They were pricey at 100 points for a normal marine but oh well. 1 squad at 1500 points, should be easy to kill, right? Wrong.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Yeah if you really want them to be like the fluff something along these lines is how they would be, it is me and my friends update to the movie marines.

The army consists of 1 Sargent and any number of marines.

Marine = WS 5, BS 5, S 6, T 6, W 2, I 4, A 3, Ld 10, Sv 2+/3++, Pts 150
    Sargent = WS 6, BS 6, S 6, T 6, W 3, I 5, A 4, Ld 10, Sv 2+/3++, Pts 200

Equipment: power armor, bolt pistol, frag + krak grenades, bolter or chainsword.
    Special rules: ATSNF, independent characters, combat tactics, feel no pain, stubborn.

Power armor: grants 2+ armor save and a 3+ invulnerable save.
    Bolt pistol: S 6, AP 4, 12" range, assault 2
    Bolter: S 6, AP 4, 24" range, assault 3, rending
    Krak grenades: S 8, AP 3, 6" range, assault 1, blast
    Chainsword: reroll to wound, - 2 to armor saves.
    Powerfist: a power weapon that doubles the users strength to a max of 10.

- (sargent may replace his bolter/chainsword with a powerfist at + 50 points)

- (one marine may replace his bolter/chainsword with one of the following at +50 points)
    Meltagun: S 10, AP 1, 12" range, assault 1, 2d6 for armor penetration
    Plasmagun: S 9, AP 2, 24" range, assault 3
    Flamer: S 6, AP 5, assault 1, template, rending

- (one marine may replace his bolter/chainsword with one of the following at +100 points)
    Missile launcher: S 8, AP 3, 48" range, heavy 2, blast
    Lascannon: S 10, AP 2, 48" range, heavy 1, lance (as eldar), line damage ( pick a spot and draw a line to it, any model in its line of fire is hit)
    Plasma cannon: S 9, AP 2, 36" range, heavy 1, large blast
    Heavy bolter: S 7, AP 4, 36" range, heavy 10, rending
    Last edited by Lyzaru; February 28th, 2009 at 05:38.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Ah, Movie Marines. The single greatest piece of broken awesomeness to come out of WD after the rules for the 1000 point limited White Dwarf figure. Gotta love 'em, eh?

Quick question for those who've been around long enough - way back, in the earliest days of 40K, weren't Grey Knights basically Movie Marines, or even worse? I seem to recall a story about GKT's costing several hundred points with the power to back it up, but I don't remember anything specific.

True story, or am I just crazy??
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Quick question for those who've been around long enough - way back, in the earliest days of 40K, weren't Grey Knights basically Movie Marines, or even worse? I seem to recall a story about GKT's costing several hundred points with the power to back it up, but I don't remember anything specific.
    Yeah it was 4 terminators and a grandmaster for 2k points, this was when psykers had levels (as fantasy caster do) and you got powers that were listed on cards and I have been told that using powers took about an hour every turn. (their terminator are like level 3 casters and the master is a 4 or something along those lines). They had crazy stat lines too.
    Last edited by Lyzaru; February 28th, 2009 at 17:56.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

+ Reply to Thread