how many guardsmen will I need - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

how many guardsmen will I need

hi all next year I am planning to build a guard army but I know with the new codex there is a reasonable chance that guard boxes will get more expensive money wise that it that being the case I plan to buy all the guard I will need now

so for a 2000pt army what is the most guard I will need assuming it is a standard guard army I know that with the new codex guardsmen may be getting more or less points expensive but can you guys give me a rough estimate on how many guardsmen models I need

thanks in advance munch

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

well it depends on how vehicle heavy you go......

I'd say if you have 7+ then at least around 100+ men

for a list with more infantry then upwards of about 150-200+ men(considering they will be cheaper XD)

personally I will try to fit in 7 vehicles and between 150 and 250+ men(conscripts are gonna be so cheap they will basically be free)

of course this is all based on rumors in the new codex, if prices stay the same as they are then ignore this post entirely,

so a answer for you is there is no way to know how many men you will need without the new codex

but as a way of thinking, never have less than 120 men in a 2000 pt game unless you are using specialized troops like grenadiers, greyknight allies, last chancers, or allied sisters of battle. And try to have a heavy tank or two, they can really help(bassie, demolisher, russ and then of course there is the new varients that everyone loves!)

Good luck!

Glad to see you in the Guard!
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on how you would like your army to perform and look on the battlefield.
    2000 pts can buy you alot of different things, but to take a pure infantry example with no weapon upgrades then

7 junior officers
    1 commissar
    308 guardsmen

this army would not win anything (except maybe objective missions) since there is not a single weapon over S3 in there. But it shows just how many guardsmen that you can squeeze in there. A more likely number in the current dex is something like this

1 heroic senior officer
    9 heavy bolter (with 1 guard to operate it, loaders are included in the main guard count)
    6 lascannons (with 1 guard to operate it, loaders are included in the main guard count)
    121 guardsmen
    3 hellhounds
    1 leman russ main battle tank (hullmounted bolter)
    2 leman russ demolishers (hull bolter, plasma sponsons)

so that would be 106 basic guard + 15 two man heavy weapon teams, + officers + tanks

with the new codex, and all infantry army can contain (rumored) somthing like this

7 junior officers
    1 commissar
    434 guardsmen

again this army would be quite unplayable, (and I'm not sure you can even fit that many models in the new dex on a normal FOC)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is play around with the codex, and make some lists you like the look off, because you may need as few as 80-100, or as many as 200-400 depending on your list(s) and what the new codex may or may not bring.

Personally I have around 100 basic men, 35ish heavy weapons (not including the loader) another 35'ish missile launcehers (there is my loader model, stupid me), and alot of tanks and or sentinels. I however play 1500 points usually. And while I try to get alot of infantry in there, I rarely use all 100 basic men (because of point restrictions). But I went out and bought another 60 or so basic troopers (with the rumored point drop, I'd rather have 20 to many than 20 to few)

Hope my ramblings helped

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many do you want?

Even with the current dex you should have over 100. With the new dex it looks like they're pushing the top end to "Too many to manage for a real game" so you can really just get as many or as few as you feel like. I don't know if you'd be saving much money though.

My army is likely to morph into something like ~150 basic line guard with ~50 pairs of boots in support elements. That's as straight as I can answer you.
    It's not personal, I'm just like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently have about 75 riflemen that are just used as squad fillers (not as sergeants, HW or SW or vox). I might stop at 150-200 riflemen (seems plenty to me). I don't usually field more than six squads (2 platoons) in 1,500pts games, but if the bog standard guardsmen is going down in points I will need a few more, and if Conscripts become a viable choice again after the new dex, a hell of a lot more.

Hopefully in the weeks leading up to the new release GW will start selling off Cadian box sets cheap to get rid of them.....

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

When you consider Heavy Weapons and Special Weapons you only have 7 Lasgunners per squad. So, I think anything more than 100 is overkill. 100 Lasgunners is enough bodies for 14 Line squads: that's 2 Infantry Platoons of 5 and 1 Infantry Platoon of 4, anything more is, IMO, way too many Lasguns for a 2000 point list. Keep in mind in that that 2000 points is also going to include your Command Squads, Advisors, Tanks, Sentinels, Stromtroopers, Ogryns, etc. I would cap it at 100.

But, it depends on your play-style...
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; March 5th, 2009 at 20:47.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Ok thanks guys heres my idea buy three battle force giving me 60 guard 9 heavy weapons teams and 3 leamen russ then I will get 3 boxes of 20 guard if my reasoning is correct this should give me all the heavy weapons I will need and all the guard I will need plus a small amount of extras for if I wish to go to a 3000 point army.

Plus I will have a few of those cool ruin things.

Is this going overboard a bit or not? at this point I plan for it to be a standardish army as far as tanks to infantry ratio goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll get a lot more heavy weapons than 9. You get 9 bases, but you'll get another nine HW by putting the missile launchers on normal standing guard (looks better that way too). You can also use the mortars easily without bases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, there are rumors that we will have to start using the crappy 20" movement trays that come with the heavy weapon teams??

If that is not the case, then I recommend that you do no glue the weapon to the tripod, so that you can switch them out, essentially giving you

1 heavy bolter
    1 lascannon
    1 autocannon

then glue the missile launcher to a standing (or kneeling) guy (remember TLOS)
    and the mortart on a spare 25mm base

Thus one heavy weapon team gives you the above.

There is a long and good post about it somewhere, I think it might be in the "how to build my guard army" sticky.

EDIT : here it is , Link

Cheers
    Last edited by Valthonis; March 6th, 2009 at 09:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Ok thanks guys heres my idea buy three battle force giving me 60 guard 9 heavy weapons teams and 3 leamen russ then I will get 3 boxes of 20 guard if my reasoning is correct this should give me all the heavy weapons I will need and all the guard I will need plus a small amount of extras for if I wish to go to a 3000 point army.
    You might also want to hold off until the contents of the new Battleforce is confirmed, their are rumours about it containing 2 infantry squads, a command squad and 3 heavy weapons teams and perhaps even a Sentinel. When you can pick one up with a 20% discount pretty easily that's £57-72 worth of models for £40. Though my guess is that it won't contain the Sentinel, that would bring it more in line with their usual pricing.

+ Reply to Thread