Space Wolf question: scouts vs. LS - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolf question: scouts vs. LS

I've been running the standard minimum scout unit with two plasma pistols and a meltagun, using the OBEL rule. They're dedicated to tank hunting, obviously. The problem I'm having is that they have not been effective in the games I've played. Because 5th edition changed pistols so that they can't be rapid fired, the unit gets three shots instead of five. If they destroy a tank, they've done their job cheaply. If they don't, they die almost immediately.

I'm wondering if those points would be better spent on a multi-melta land speeder. In my usual list, I could then run two speeders, which might be more reliable.

So what do you think, drop the scouts or stick with 'em? Or, I suppose, start adding melta bombs to give them that extra punch (at much higher cost).

Weaf

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the scout for the fact that they will have to moveaway from the deployment zone. Its like oh noes i got a unit if scouts that can come in an rape a tank or devi squad gotta move them so if he does bring them in on my edge i wont lose something right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are meant as a threat factor, and hopefully will blow something up. Melta bombs for a squad of 4 is only 24 points, that's not bad considering its almost guaranteed to kill something. Slap a power weapon in there and you can pretty much do some good damage for a very low point cost. Stick with them, they'll earn their points back easier than a land speeder. At least I think so.
    Why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use them often, but when I do its:

1x Melta
    1x PP
    1x PF
    1x Wolfguard leader in the unit with PF

This gives you 2 shots and 3 attacks that should be able to penetrate rear armor, which is hopefully what you are getting with these guys. This is more expensive due to the WG Leader, but it gives you the most punch IMO.
    Last edited by Kaotik; March 5th, 2009 at 20:29.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Definitely give them meltabombs. Most tanks w/long range fire tend to stay back and better yet, remain stationary. So when your scouts come in, you have a good chance to assault them (after shooting) and auto-hit with your meltabombs.

PS -
    The land speeders die just as easily. Also, if they go flat-out on 1st turn to get within MM range of tanks, they can't fire and become sitting ducks. With scouts, you have 3 shots compared to 1 and at rear armor. Plus they can assault. If they survive the enemies return fire next turn and get assaulted, they may be able to last 2 rounds. That's 2 rounds less that your opponent has to fire at your other troops. Not a bad trade off IMO.
    Last edited by jy2; March 7th, 2009 at 06:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

The 4 man wolf scouts with x2 PP & x1meltagun is very much worth it both for tactical advantage of comming in behind the opponent and hitting the rear armor, generaly 2 PP & 1 meltagun are enough, if not remember that scouts (even with out melta) can hurt most vehicles in CC since you attack the rear armor which is usualy 10.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love them everytime I use them. Usually the enemy will be freaked out and see them as more of a threat than the rest of my army and spend that much time to try to kill them. Plus they're not too shabby in combat either.
    Why.

+ Reply to Thread