Missile Launcher question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missile Launcher question

Hi guys, I've been reading through the main 40k rulebook (getting the SM codex tonight), and I'm just wondering what the point is of taking a missile launcher in tactical squads, since it would seem to me (very limited table experience) that a weapon that you have to keep still to fire is not very good for a tactical squad unless you're sitting on an objective, and trying to be useful.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks,

Argentis

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

I think its a good idea that tac marines stay mobile and avoid hanging back for the sake of 1 heavy weapon. 9 of those 10 guys are anti infantry, focus on other units to blow up tanks since they will probably do a much better job of it anyway. Since you get the heavy weapon for free might as well truck it along with the others. It can come in handy when the tac squad is close to the last man where movement is no longer an issue. (most of the time.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

That's true of all heavy weapons. Usually, it's useful for covering fire for other squads or obviously as a defense against vehicles or hordes. It also becomes extremely useful with the new combat squad rules, where half the squad can stay and sit on an objective or otherwise form a firebase while the other half does the fire and maneuver stuff that the marines are known for. It actually is a great deal more effective than might be gleaned from just the rulebook.
    The only constant in the universe is change, adapt or die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the combat squad rules (actually I don't really know them, I've just heard about them on the boards). Luckily I'll have plenty of time to read this as I find time to paint up my AoBR marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you're tryin to hold an objective it's always nice to use the blast marker to make a potshot on horde armies
    Ultramarines: W1 D1 L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Well, it's free, so there's no point in passing it up. You have the option to split up, or sit still while huggin an objective to provide some extra heavy firepower.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'd rather take the Missile Launcher for free than go for one Bolter. It's already paid itself off from the get go so if you kill one guy from the one shot you make with it all game, it's pretty much pure profit. And the ability to have a blast or one strong missile is really nice. If I had to have a Devastator Squad with all of one type of weapon, I'd choose the missile launcher. But I mix my dev's of course

Happy Hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the option between krak and frag is nice. never hurts to have them in tact. squads. I carry in my squads, with a plasma canon and a lascanon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

missile launchers are good but i prefer heavy bolters in a tact squad and give a dev's
    2 missile launcher and 2 lascannons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I usually hang back for a turn and shoot my ML at the enemy vehicles. I play against orcs and dark eldar a lot so it help me take out the trucks ravengers and raiders.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast