Question about charpters - your own - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Question about charpters - your own

So basically I've been away for a good couple of editions and was wondering what it looks like now for making your own chapter.

EG - Could you use ultramarine rules & simply have a different colour scheme?
    How roughly is making of your own chapter (traits?) done?

I really need to get the codex but @ an (extortionate) £18* and with alot of models I want to paint up before I start drawing up a list.

*I know ebay etc exists*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

There are no traits anymore. To make your own chapter, just take whatever units you want from the codex, following your own fluff, and paint them however you want them. You can even feel free to use the 100% legal named characters (no longer "special" exactly) and, using the counts-as rules, treat them as your own chapter's characters.

There are no specific chapter rules in the 5th edition Space Marines codex, so feel free to do whatever you like for your chapter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Like LoNe said, do whatever you want, buy whatever you want. But i would like to add a little sidenote: be sure of your list before you start a buying 'n painting frenzy: to avoid later disappointment when your nicely painted model turns out to be not what you want.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Zemaphore View Post
    Like LoNe said, do whatever you want, buy whatever you want. But i would like to add a little sidenote: be sure of your list before you start a buying 'n painting frenzy: to avoid later disappointment when your nicely painted model turns out to be not what you want.
    So does this mean that there are no special ruels for chapters anymore?!
    (if there are, how do they work in relation to custom chapters - e.g say blood angels rules etc?)

That and i already have probably like 1500pt+? of pure tactical marines alone scattered in various boxes & mostly in a hideous mess (alot were 'saved' from people who stopped collecting a long time ago)

I just dont understand how some people can melt half a figure with plastic glue >.> Still, I guess i'll need to do alot of stripping.

Other than marines I already have
    Some h plasma's/plasmas etc

Some 5 scout snipers possibly some more normal ones somewhere.
    1 land raider
    5 ass (teehee) marines
    3/4 rhino's
    predator
    5 terminators
    4? bikes (although 3 are chaos and so will need converting but whether i'd ever bother or just buy new ones, the latter being more likely since I just dont have the time & getting a job would be more productive than converting them all)
    Various commanders/librarians etc 5 assault marines just off the top of my head.

Although making a list is the eventual goal atm I don't really play and am only painting for well... the fun of painting. SO picking up a dreadnought simply to paint seems perfectly fine to me.
    Last edited by silentdeathz; March 10th, 2009 at 20:29.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by silentdeathz View Post
    So does this mean that there are no special ruels for chapters anymore?!
    (if there are, how do they work in relation to custom chapters - e.g say blood angels rules etc?)
    Space Wolves, Black Templars, Blood Angels and Dark Angels still have their own separate codices and those armies should follow the rules there. For other established chapters (ex. Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, Raven Guard and Iron Hands) as well as DIY chapters, you should feel free to use the 5th edition Space Marines codex unless one of the other codices represents the fluff and rules you want for your force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    Space Wolves, Black Templars, Blood Angels and Dark Angels still have their own separate codices and those armies should follow the rules there. For other established chapters (ex. Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, Raven Guard and Iron Hands) as well as DIY chapters, you should feel free to use the 5th edition Space Marines codex unless one of the other codices represents the fluff and rules you want for your force.
    K, thanks

repped ofc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Extortion?

I'm not sure the Codex is extortion. In fact I would be confident in saying that the opposite is true. Very few people have and serious complaints about it. I think it is one of the best army books that GW have produced in a little while.

Appreciate it. Buy it. Enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna View Post
    I'm not sure the Codex is extortion. In fact I would be confident in saying that the opposite is true.
    I agree. Having spent hundreds on just a few books for Uni, and even well over twice the cost of a Dex for fiction novels, I think the amount of paper, ink, quality and content you get in a Dex is a bargin!

Back on topic, once you get you're hands on the Dex, you'll see how codex chapters are made unique in 5th! =)

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically you take a "special" character and get nice bonuses. The special characters are very nice as they really can help your army out alot. The new dex is very versatile. The BA dex and all those dex's lack the new equipment the new dex has, but they each have their perks. I do miss the trait system as it allowed people to create really unique armies instead of seeing vulkan or pedro spam with alot of sternguard or flame weapons. It really has gone sour IMHO. I've seen some people paint and use pedro as an Iron Hands captain or clan leader.

I'm painting up my Iron Angels as Space Wolves as their ruleset really fits my playstyle and everything perfectly. Do what you want, as long as you're not using an ork for a space marine commander, its all good.
    Why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna View Post
    I'm not sure the Codex is extortion. In fact I would be confident in saying that the opposite is true. Very few people have and serious complaints about it. I think it is one of the best army books that GW have produced in a little while.

Appreciate it. Buy it. Enjoy it.
    I was more than happy paying £8 a book even £12 but £18 just seems ridiculous for what I actually need from the book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast