Purchasing Witch Hunter Units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Purchasing Witch Hunter Units

So I am super new to the Witch Hunters and in fact Warhammer in general. I have played the game all of once. But I find it fun, and after doing a good deal of reading (and there is more on going), I think that I would really like to roll a Witch Hunter army. Now I know that they aren't the easiest army to work with, but I think that it seems really cool, and I am a fast learner.

But here is my problem. Where do you get units? Looking at the army lists et al. For 1500ish points you are going to need 3 SoB squads + rhinos all of which have different weapons and whatnot than what comes in the box.

The standard SoB squad costs $40, and from I can tell doesn't come with all of the weapons that you are going to want in your squad. I haven't been able to figure out where you even get rhinos. Ebay doesn't have a very large selection of WH units, and I don't really want to spend 40+ bucks per sqaud.

Suggestions?

THANKS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

There are no Witch Hunter Rhinos per se. Most players just buy the Space Marine Rhinos and paint them WH colors. Another, albeit more expensive option, is to buy an Immolator and just not use the flamer turret.

As for the squads, yeah, the basic squad box includes few alternative options to match your army list. Welcome to GW. Unfortunately, WH can be a somewhat expensive army to field, as the simplest way to get the special weapons you're looking for is to buy them in blister packs, which is more expense and that's compounded by the aggravation that you'll have a model from the $40 box set that you'll never use. Isn't that fun? The other option, which may be tough for a beginner, is to convert models from the $40 box set, which you'll find is... challenging.

However, all is not lost. You are definitely on the right track using EBay, and if you hunt around online you'll find a number of dealers who will offer discounts on the exact same GW box sets. No, $32 isn't MUCH cheaper than $40, but it is cheaper, and you might find yourself buying the box set AND a blister pack for the same $40. Shop around; the best site for you probably depends on where you live, as shipping varies.

Finally, check out your local hobby stores. Many offer discounts on some GW products, and I know one store near me will sell old models that some players are just looking to get rid of. The bigger a community you build with other players, and the more patience you have on EBay (can take a little time), the more likely you'll score a huge number of models that add up to being loads cheaper than buying them new. Yeah, you'll probably wanna strip and repaint them, but that's doable, and no matter what your army, you'll find yourself doing that eventually anyway, so you might as well learn how now.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums!
    Last edited by Canew; March 12th, 2009 at 18:50.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I've bought a few boxes from GW, and they don't come default with great weapons.
    The flamers I use, or convert them to be Meltaguns (re-shaping the nozzle)
    the Stormbolters can have their ammo boxes ground down and 2 flamer barrels put on to make Heavy Flamers.

The Immolator box set makes a great rhino, and you can use it for an Immolator as well. Make the turrets and weapons swappable. it's worth it.
    I've seen modified whirlwinds used for Exorcists, or even scratch built from an immolator.
    Hbolters I'd buy in blisters, or E-bay.

Like Canew said, be very patient with E-bay, and you'll get good deals.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run whirlwinds as my exorsists.....havent had a issue so far..

this is by far the most expensive army to buy i've found...EVERYTHING seems to be direct order which means most places wont give you much of a discount..

the idiots on Ebay seem to bid everything up to retail level..it drives me crazy.

for instance yesterday I was bidding on 6 heavy weapons...new they run $8 a piece 8x6=48

I figured my high bid would be 35..because the guy had 5 dollar shipping...no some numbskull bids it up to 46 dollars...so he is now paying more for some crappily painted HW sisters than he would have paid retail.

Same thing happens all the time with exorsists and immolators...

ok im done ranting now sorry today was the the day I've decided to start collecting another army because the sister prices are making me crazy
    Last edited by R3con; March 12th, 2009 at 20:40.
    For Michigan Apoc news and meetups.. www.mi40k.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R3con View Post
    I run whirlwinds as my exorsists.....havent had a issue so far..

this is by far the most expensive army to buy i've found...EVERYTHING seems to be direct order which means most places wont give you much of a discount..

the idiots on Ebay seem to bid everything up to retail level..it drives me crazy.

for instance yesterday I was bidding on 6 heavy weapons...new they run $8 a piece 8x6=48

I figured my high bid would be 35..because the guy had 5 dollar shipping...no some numbskull bids it up to 46 dollars...so he is now paying more for some crappily painted HW sisters than he would have paid retail.

Same thing happens all the time with exorsists and immolators...

ok im done ranting now sorry today was the the day I've decided to start collecting another army because the sister prices are making me crazy

Yeah Sisters are pretty pricey and it'd be great if they made plastic models but I doubt GW will do that any time soon. EBay can be a bit confusing with people bidding much higher than they really should, more often then not it can be cheaper to buy from the GW site.

As for vehicles I've seen some interesting cardboard creation videos on YouTube though I'm not sure about if most people would accept them in gameplay.
    I'm of the notion that we should have fun with this and so "Tau Butter" came into being. Now you can spread the greater good on your breakfast too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also just simply use the flamers to be heavy flamers... I'm just starting myself and I thought of using the regular flamer weapon models and making some kind of fuel pack to replace the default back pack.

It also depends on where you play, my local hobby shop won't kill you for not having one with a melta gun or using a flamer as a heavy flamer. Just so long as your not using an entirely wrong unit to proxy (ie using a SM to stand in for a sister). But for non-tournaments most people don't care. I've been playing every week with mostly chaos sm models standing in for stuff as I continue to collect my army and nobody has given me trouble. Most players understand that especially for an army like WH it's not easy to get all the pieces so quickly. I had to wait 2-3 weeks for just one exorcist to come in direct.

And as some others mentioned, with Rhinos it's pretty much up to you. I bought three rhinos off a guy at my hobby shop for 35 bucks and sanded down his Space wolves emblems and just went about adding SoB details (you get LOTS of extra sprue peices if you buy one exorcist and WH is very fun to go through a local craft store looking for details to add onto vehicles) and painting it to match my army. Looks great now. I even made one of those rhinos into an exorcist using some random model pieces I had laying around to become the cannon on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I think the basic message from this is to take your time. There is a (pretty sweet?) army on ebay right now. I don't have 300 bucks to drop on it at the moment. And I think designing and painting the whole thing is really part of the fun.

I'll just keep looking.

The other option that I was looking into was rolling SM as my main force, and using squads of SoB. I know I can't work it the other way around. Risking derailing the topic, and I have only searched a small amount, does anyone have a feeling one way or the other about this. Remember I am a newbie, so i am open to everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

Actually, a lot of people start with IG or SM's and build up their WH an/or DH armies as allies.

it depends on what approach you want to take.

I started off with WH, and got into IG so I could have inducted Guard, then rolled into GK's, because I had a Land Raider Crusader I kind of wanted to use.

I caught the imperium disease. I have 3 of the 4 Imperial armies, but don't plan on getting SM's any year soon. I've got 3 great armies that work well together.

with the release of the IG codex soon, it might not be a terrible idea to start with a basic IG list, and add Sisters as allies, then slowly build up to having 2 full armies.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Something I've entertained as I prep my new marine army: Once it's up to 1,000 points, I'll probably work up to a healthy 1,850 with marine stuff, but I'll also build up a squad or two of Grey Knight terminators and/or seraphim. I could easily just take my 1,850-point marine army and replace one unit of a time with "extra" stuff from the WH codex until all I have left of the marines is an HQ and two troop choices. At that point, switching over to pure WH would be easy. This is a common approach for people new to WH, and new to the hobby in general.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzics View Post
    The other option that I was looking into was rolling SM as my main force, and using squads of SoB. I know I can't work it the other way around. Risking derailing the topic, and I have only searched a small amount, does anyone have a feeling one way or the other about this. Remember I am a newbie, so i am open to everything.
    I am getting into the Sisters after (mostly) completing my IG army. It's nice as I really enjoy both armies but don't have the hundreds of dollars to purchase a complete sisters army. Two thoughts to caution you with though:

1. Make sure you really like SM or IG. If you're really in this to play sisters you will be dissapointed if you're attempting to do something else. You'll just waste money on unused smurfs or grunts.

2. Don't go into IG if your thought is to save money. It takes a lot of models to get an army together. In addition to buying all of these guys, who aren't at all cheap, you have to paint them and store them. Believe me, it adds up quick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast