Question about sternguard. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about sternguard.

My question about sternguard is if you take a combi weapon for any of the models, do you lose the special issue ammunition. I would assume you don't, but I'd like some clarification.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

you don't lose the special issue ammo, it fires those shots instead of he normal bolter shots and the combi weapons fire normal bolter shots or a shot from a special weapon.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Just to support kevin's answer (which is correct) with the corresponding codex page:

Quote Originally Posted by Space Marines codex page 63, under Special Issue Ammunition
    Each special ammunition type replaces the boltgun profile (including boltguns that are part of a combi-weapon)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, my bad. I don't know why i didn't check the sternguard section for this. Thanks for the replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

No worries - it happens to all of us sometimes. I've made lists centered entirely around an idea, only to have someone comment saying "you know that's illegal, right?" It takes a while to get completely familiar with any codex, especially a codex as big as the 5th edition Space Marines book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you think about it a combi weapon is a Bolter with a compact single shot version of another gun on it.

Though I think they should give you two shots on the combi part of the weapon.
    "We are Retribution Personified!"
    ~Thomas Resinus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    I've made lists centered entirely around an idea, only to have someone comment saying "you know that's illegal, right?"
    You mean like what you said to me the other week with my jump librarian idea? haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

It gets

It gets sort of irritating after a while. You keep getting to the point where you think you are careful enough and know enough for it not to happen to you again and then...

Boom!

You are being laughed at by a nine uear old who knows that particular rule far better than you do!

As for the Sternguard, I think taking a few combi-meltas and flamers is a great idea. It's not too expensive and can make them horribly vicious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna View Post
    You are being laughed at by a nine uear old who knows that particular rule far better than you do!
    This is the reason why I embarrass myself on LO instead of real life! It's also the reason why I buy all the rulebooks/codices/etc. .... I typically know the main rules and army rules better than my opponents. Nothing like telling them they're wrong, what's right, and what page they can find it on... when it's their own army.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna
    As for the Sternguard, I think taking a few combi-meltas and flamers is a great idea. It's not too expensive and can make them horribly vicious.
    Sternguard are one of the coolest units in the codex, in my opinion. I will typically only field them with 2-4 combi-weapons for a 10 man squad, as I feel that too many is overkill. They aren't that expensive, but if you give everyone in the squad one, you're bumping the price up by 50 points, and that's a large chunk of change, all things considered. The special ammunition serves the versatility role rather well, so the combi-meltas are nice to have in case they run into a tank or three.
    Last edited by Lost Nemesis; March 13th, 2009 at 23:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really

"Sternguard are one of the coolest units in the codex, in my opinion. I will typically only field them with 2-4 combi-weapons for a 10 man squad, as I feel that too many is overkill. They aren't that expensive, but if you give everyone int he squad one, you're bumping the price up by 50 points, and that's a large chunk of change, all things considered. The special ammunition serves the versatility role rather well, so the combi-meltas are nice to have in case they run into a tank or three"

You have not seen the death that is vulkan and 10 sternguard with 5 combi-melta-5 combiflamer sgt with fist all in a drop pod. When they hit the table they spilit into combat squads. The flamers handle infantry while the melta's and vulkan's heavy flamer nuke a tank. ohh and di i metion it comes of a locator beacon fromanother drop pod with anther 10 man sternguard squad equiped as above and waiting in the wings is an 8 man vanguard squad which also comes in off the beacon. Meanwhile the 2 squads of sniper scouts are in a piece of terrain deep in your backfireld picking off the straggleres and in larger games there may be a irionclad dreadnaught or two also in droppods that will soon hit your lines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast