Burning out trimming mould lines and trying to pain XXX guardsmen and tanks, Help ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burning out trimming mould lines and trying to paint XXX guardsmen and tanks, Help ?

Phhew, ok so this is my current situation.

I have 100 arm and headless cadian troopers on my shelf
    I have 60 more currently being assembled
    I'm buying 40 more tomorrow.

I may or may not buy another 100.. (before the new damned box comes out)

Bringing me up to 200 standard riflemen. (maybe 300 )

Then add about 100 heavy weapons (as in 32 platforms that I can swap the the hbolter,lascannon and autocannon on, and another 32'ish troopers with missile launchers, and another 32ish mortars)

Then add 20 storm troopers, a score of officers, 6 leman russes, 3 hellhounds, a demolisher, 3 sentinels, 1 chimera, and 6 bassies.

I am feeling spent just trimming mould lines....

But I am really having a headache about painting them

* Do I want to have the arms and heads off?
    * Do I want them on?
    * Do I really need to put fine detail on so many troopers?
    * How do I stop from burning out?
    * Should I have more than a basic 2 colour scheme on them?

Currently I tested a basic paint scheme, black cloth, and mithrill silver armour.
    It looks ok, perhaps a little lacking in detail, but if I have almost 300 bodies on the table, will it matter?

I feel I must add, I am a TERRIBLE painter, I get bored quickly, I always second guess my paintschemes, I cant handle a brush well, so each and every model needs to be retouched several times...

Any hints or tips?

Cheers

Last edited by Valthonis; March 13th, 2009 at 07:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Haha I feel exactly the same most of the time.

Choose a number of them (I recommend ten or twenty). Stick the rest out of the way.

Paint them in a colour scheme. This is the colour scheme of the rest of your men. If you see another you like then just remember why you chose the initial one. Most colour schemes are pretty cool. Tell yourself you can use your next colour scheme on your next army.

Pop the Painted models somewhere you can see.

This way when you have painted your allocated amount you feel like you made progress and achieved something, hopefully inspiring you to paint more. It's horrid having a shelf full of unpainted models and incredibly daunting. (personal taste here)

If you can't paint to the level of others don't worry it's not a competition. Be proud of what you do. You shall get better from experience.

As for the heads and arms. Goodness. It would look better with them. Stick 'em on if you have them. If not google Warhammer bitz, and see what you can get.

Mainly my advice is try not to buy any more till you paint the ones you have. Choose modular amounts paint them as best as you can. I think the general rule for GW tournaments is three colours though as opposed to two. Unsure there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

well, it depends on the level of detail you want, collector level or table-ready. the latter is very easy to effect with guard while still looking great on the army as a whole (prime, base coat, wash, highlight... and bam your a pro), while still going very quickly in painting (think back when i first painted my guys near the end i was able to 'assembly-line paint' groups of 20 efficiently).

personally, i'd advise to avoid trying using a metallic as your secondary color in your color scheme. it's very difficult to get looking right, especially with the shiny metal going opposite of a stark black cloth. though that said, non-metal metallics also work great on the mass guard effect... so in this case, instead of silver, use greys... but that's just an offhand suggestion.

anyways, back to trying to effect your color scheme.
    for the armor, i'd suggest trying out a boltgun metal base, black wash, silver overbrush/highlight, and possibly a watered down brown wash (if you want to look a little dirty)... it's a quick method to decent looking metal with minimum of effort.
    the black cloth can be simple enough already (black base coat, grey highlight/drybrush, optional black wash somewhere in there before or after grey).

just remember, you only have to paint them once, and every group done is just that much closer to being done as a whole... or at least for long enough until you decide you want to change your army's color scheme some years down the line.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam51 View Post
    As for the heads and arms. Goodness. It would look better with them. Stick 'em on if you have them. If not google Warhammer bitz, and see what you can get.
    Ah, I have the arms and heads. But someone once told me that it is easier to paint a model if the arms/head is not glued on. But I'm not so sure..

As for not buying more, mmh, hard not to mostly due to the horrible new 10 man packs they are releasing. Getting 100 of the new guard will cost ALOT more than 100 of the old ones. Thats the main reason for wanting to buy another 100. (well, that and 4pts/guardsmen)

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just take it easy and remember its a hobby. You will never be ready because you like to do it and you will always do it. No use rushing. Paint in amounts that you are able to enjoy and keep only completed models visible.

EDIT: Also I personally find it good to not own more unfinished ones than finished ones. Speaking of that after these 7 veterans I can go buy something new

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

would say it's easier just to paint the guardsmen with the arms and head on... guardsmen don't have a lot of detail on them that'd get covered up the weapon, so it's just that much less to worry about from having them painted separately.

i kept all my guys, painted and unpainted together on a shelf, all sorted out in their squads... and just go down the line one squad at a time. it may seem daunting in the beginning but once you get off the ground, you'll find some good motivation.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I find that cheating is always the best option! To improve the look of your models easily try to use washes. I would recommend using a dark grey instead of black, then black wash them. It will bring out the shadows, look a bit better and is only 1 more simple paint step. Block painting is always better than bulk painting. I tried painting 60 grots at once, I almost got RSI. 10 is a good number, especially with few colours. Paint the face (I cheat by doing a skin tone followed by brown wash, looks OK at a distance) to get a third colour in there.

Don't feel obligated to build/paint all at once, buy them now (while cheaper) but leave the last 140 in the box. Build them when you need them or have finished the first 160. You will get better resale value if they are unmade and in the box, you may find that 300 is more than you need after all (you never know!)
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

all great advice!

I'm embarking on re-painting a bunch of metal praetorians and steel legion models...

put your cadian's arms and heads on, then prime, basecoat, and do a wash.

I've not used the GW washes, I've heard good things. I use Future Floor Polish mixed with Scorched Earth paint for my washes. It produces a nice, low lustre, dark brown effect. Then I go over for highlights and minor drybrushing.

it's easy.

a friend of mine does his basecoat then dips in Minwax polyshade (walnut) it leaves a nice brown shading over everything, although it's a bit glossy. He then sprays with a Matte sealer to cut down on the shine, and protect the model.

I've found it's about doing things in smaller groups (10-15), so you don't get overwhelmed, and finding ways to simply mass-produce, because you don't want to spend an hour per model when you've got 250 models.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also just getting started with my first army (at least since 3rd Ed.) and for my guardsmen I do one thing to one squad at a time. For example, I'll set the goal of cutting out and trimming the legs for 20 guardsmen. And then if I'm spent I'll just do something else the next day. this way I'm productive without being burned out, what with all of my homework to also get done.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Just start, that's the hardest part. You'll get it it from their.

I suggest gluing your models the base before painting, then creating a tool to hold the base, so you can paint the model, something with a handle would be good. \

Personally, I'd paint them in desaturated colors. So, black and silver would not be my choices... I'd use those for details.

Instead maybe take a step back - where are your units forms? Desert, Jungle, snow, city?

Maybe they have a pride color they where for some reason, silver, yellow, red, gold, something like that - maybe you paint just a shoulder pad in that color, something like that.

Peace
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast