Grey Knight Grand Master Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knight Grand Master Help

Well greetings people.

I'll get straight to the point.

I'm currently Fielding a 1500 Pure GK army consosting of 2 six man units of Grey knights (each squad containing 4 GK's with storm bolters and NFW, 1 with an Incinerator, and 1 with a Psycannon), 2 five man units of GK terminators (each consisting of 1 Brother Captain, 3 GK's with Storm bolters and NFW's, and 1 with a NFW and an incinerator), A Vindicare assassin, And im looking to Throw in a GK Grand master For my HQ choice.

(my mind is set with this. lol. it might not win me many battles but i dont care so much for winning. just having a good looking army, and a good time)

So my questions are as follows.

1) i recently went onto Forgeworld and found that there was a new minature in there called In quisitor Lord Hector Rex. i instantly Fell in love with him, so to speak, and wondered if there were any Rules or Stats for him as of yet.

2)What minitures would look the best for my GK grand master? i want a single model thats going to really stand out from the rest of my army. the kind of model where you just know he's the Commander due to his Looks and pure attitude.

3) Can anyone reccomend and good wargear (equipment and the such) that i should take with me? i like the idea of Bionics and Icon of the Just, but im looking to make my GK Grand master as completely Bad a** as possible.

cheers in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Supernobbs View Post
    I'm currently Fielding a 1500 Pure GK army consosting of 2 six man units of Grey knights (each squad containing 4 GK's with storm bolters and NFW, 1 with an Incinerator, and 1 with a Psycannon), 2 five man units of GK terminators (each consisting of 1 Brother Captain, 3 GK's with Storm bolters and NFW's, and 1 with a NFW and an incinerator), A Vindicare assassin, And im looking to Throw in a GK Grand master For my HQ choice.

(my mind is set with this. lol. it might not win me many battles but i dont care so much for winning. just having a good looking army, and a good time)
    Fair enough. But at the moment, it looks like your army is actually illegal. You can't field any assassins without an Inquisitor. I don't see any Inquisitor in your list.

Also, at least one of the BCs in your GKT units must be fielded as a GK Hero with a retinue as an HQ choice. The rules really don't get changed much, but it's important because ...

... You are only allowed to field one GK Hero in your army. This means that if you're serious about a GM, you must either

* replace one of those BCs with your proposed GM model
    or
    * simply count one of your BC models as the GM
    or
    * join your GM model to one of your two Elite GKT units

The final choice is one that you should strive to avoid at all costs, because the GM is very vulnerable without the benefit of a dedicated retinue. (Review the retinue rules in the DH codex and the BRB.) Without a retinue, the GM is way overpriced and easily killed.
    1) i recently went onto Forgeworld and found that there was a new minature in there called In quisitor Lord Hector Rex. i instantly Fell in love with him, so to speak, and wondered if there were any Rules or Stats for him as of yet.
    These rules will be forthcoming in the next Imperial Armour book. I think it's going to be called "Siege of Vraks". (???) Not entirely certain about that name, however....
    2)What minitures would look the best for my GK grand master? i want a single model thats going to really stand out from the rest of my army. the kind of model where you just know he's the Commander due to his Looks and pure attitude.
    The Hector Rex model would make an excellent GM model, provided you're willing to replace the GM's storm bolter with a storm shield. I wouldn't recommend converting a resin model; very difficult to do properly.

Most of us use the BC Stern model for our GK Heroes. That works out just fine.

The BC model that came with your GKT box sets are also appropriate, if you only have one of them on the field. With more than one, you'll need to convert one of them at least slightly to distinguish it as the GK Hero model (i.e., the GM).

Beyond that, I've seen some nice conversions based on the Marneus Calgar model. Having trouble locating pics I know I've seen before, but here's one, at least.
    3) Can anyone reccomend and good wargear (equipment and the such) that i should take with me? i like the idea of Bionics and Icon of the Just, but im looking to make my GK Grand master as completely Bad a** as possible.
    A retinue is a must, 4 GKTs minimum. If you're not willing to supply a retinue, don't take the GM, it's just that simple. There is no Instant Death protection available in the DH codex, a retinue is the only way to protect this very expensive yet underpowered character.

I like sacred incense (insta-killing even Abaddon is worth the points investment into wargear this cheap with an effect so huge), a psychic hood, and unguents of warding (virtually eliminating the chances of getting nailed with all the awful psyker powers in today's game, especially Lash of Submission). A psycannon is nice, but a steep price to pay for a model you primarily want in assault. However, a BS 5 psycannon is nothing to sneeze at. Icon of the Just is only so-so -- and really expensive! -- but it's the only way to get this guy a better invul save. (DH storm shields suck so badly that I wouldn't really recommend using it.) Maybe consider Hammerhand, but honestly, putting the GM into a situation where his NFW isn't good enough is a fight this model shouldn't really be involved in anyway. I'm not a fan of Holocaust because it's primarily for suppressing hordes, and what are you doing allowing your GKTs to get bogged down by gribblies (or seeking out fights with such units)? One bad die roll, and Perils of the Warp can kill your GM in a heartbeat. Too risky for such an expensive investment. There's really no other wargear worth serious consideration.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

Number 6 is on top of it.

I use Stern as my GM. he looks important.

I typically run my GM's vanilla. They cost enough as is.
    Sacred Incense isn't a bad option, and perhaps a targeter. I thought he CAME with a Psychic hood. I typically put a hood on my Inq. Lord, if I'm putting one out there. I try not to have too many eggs in one basket. Frags and a targeter are all I will put on the GM most of the time.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by farmpunk View Post
    I typically run my GM's vanilla. They cost enough as is.
    Sacred Incense isn't a bad option, and perhaps a targeter. I thought he CAME with a Psychic hood. I typically put a hood on my Inq. Lord, if I'm putting one out there. I try not to have too many eggs in one basket. Frags and a targeter are all I will put on the GM most of the time.
    Not to nitpick or anything, but you cannot equip Terminators (including the GM) with frags, meltabombs, or targeters.

That said, the most important thing about your GM is that you don't leave him alone. Stick him with a retinue or with your PAGK's. I like to give mine Incinerators, stick him with a group with Incinerators also, and stuff them all inside a Land Raider or Land Raider Crusader.

I give my GM either Incinerator if I get a LR or Psycannon if I footslog him. I also like Sacred Incense (if I know I'm going up against Chaos Space Marines or Daemons, and there is a lot of CSM players out there) and Icon of the Just (yes it's expensive, but there's just 2 many Power-fist smurfs out there). Most importantly, I don't usually play him if its 1500 or under.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Not to nitpick or anything, but you cannot equip Terminators (including the GM) with frags, meltabombs, or targeters.
    I so often forget about that one I almost always equip the BC or GM with targeters...
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Do you think i might be better off waiting for Stats to be released for the New Inquisitor and use him instead?

And didn't someone say that you cant take 2 GKT units AND a GKGM with 4 man retinue?

i think haha

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Don't hold your breath waiting for his stats to come out. It won't be anytime soon, and the book will be very expensive (probaly at least $50). Moreover, anything from ForgeWorld is not consider official. You won't be able to use him in tournaments and need opponent's permission to use him in friendly games. If you really like the model, just use him as a regular Inq or Inq Lord. You may even use him as a stand-in for your GM if your opponent is ok with it (though in friendly games, there's no reason for him not to be).

Though it's very expensive pointwise, you can take that combo. You can even take 3 GKT units and a GKGM+9 GKT retinue (that combo will probably run you around 2000pts!). You just can't take more than 1 Grey Knight Hero (so no more than 1 GM or Brother-Captain as an Independent Char).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

na ive tallied up my army and its all good, but i just mean i cant have 2 squads of GKT's and a GM?

as the others wont be independant characters, they'll be part of the sqaud and i'll be atking them as Elites choice, not my HQ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supernobbs View Post
    na ive tallied up my army and its all good, but i just mean i cant have 2 squads of GKT's and a GM?

as the others wont be independant characters, they'll be part of the sqaud and i'll be atking them as Elites choice, not my HQ?
    That's right, as long as the Brother-Captains were bought as squad leaders from the Grey Knight Terminator's entry in the Elites section, and not as individual units form the HQ section (which has a 0-1 limit).
    TAU PLAYER - GREY KNIGHTS PLAYER - WOOD ELVES PLAYER (kind of)

"Grey Knight terminators aren't 'good.' THEY'RE F****N AWESOME!!"

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

The Marneus Calgar body works really well, just swap the head and figure out some way to remove or hide the Ultramarines symbols on the model. I did it myself, though I didn't cover up the UM symbols and the paint job/basing is pretty shoddy, but you can check it out here (third pic down). I used Calgar's body and legs, a spare head I had, and the GK Terminator arms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast