Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Which is the better upgrade for Land Raiders in a pure GK list? I know they're hardly the most expensive upgrades but in an army list where every point has to be made to count it's often a case of taking one or the other. Personally speaking I find the dozer blade tends to earn it's keep better than the extra armour because my tanks fail terrain tests far more often than they suffer Crew Stunned results.
Smoke launchers also. How do you use yours? I know strictly speaking we're supposed to use the Codex, but most people are willing to let you use the BRB smokes if you want to. BRB smokes mean a 50% chance to avoid any damage at all, though there's still a 50% chance your LR will end up copping for whatever damage your opponent has inflicted. With the DH Codex smokes it's a 25% chance of being immobilised versus a 75% chance to escape relatively unharmed (who needs two lascannons anyway? ). With the low number of penetrating hits Land Raiders suffer on average I tend to lean more towards the BRB smokes, although I don't particularly mind using the Codex ones, and in some situations they come in very handy indeed, i.e if you end up playing one of those Eldar bumnuts who fields 900 bright lances per square inch of table.
Usually I get EA for my landraiders. So far it's helped maybe only 1 or 2 times. On the other hand, I seem to get stuck on terrain fairly often (with various vehicles), and a couple of times, that has cost me the game because I wasn't able to reach an objective. I'm starting to think maybe a Dozer Blade would make for a better investment for my LR's.
As for smokes, I play it the codex way, which I don't like so I don't buy for my LR's (only for my rhinos). The way I see it, if I'm gonna claim my NFW kills outright, I think it's a little cheesy to claim my smokes does something other than what my codex says. It's like taking the best of both worlds, which really isn't fair to my opponent. Thus for me, its strictly one or the other, either all from codex or use updated rules from 5th. I play the good with the bad from our antiquated book.
I use neither of the two. I never had any problems with terrain (but this often depends on how players use to set up the board). And I often don't use the smokies, because I want to shoot stuff when using them
And extra armor, well, never really had the need for it. Most often, I buy myself targeters for those points not used
I don't really ever use a Dozer Blade. It's easier for me to just find out where clear terrain is and set up near it, so that I don't have to encounter a situation in Difficult Terrain. Also, unless I'm playing a Capture and Control nearing the final turns, I don't move my Land Raider very much at all anyway. It's more of a springboard for my Knights inside to quickly blitz out of and Incinerate if the enemy gets too close.
Extra Armor I swear by, however. The Machine Spirit allows you to always fire one weapon more than you would normally, but it doesn't allow for any movement at all. It's a blessing to be able to get away when a menacing unit of flanking Space Marine Scouts with Meltabombs gets too close. If the enemy has any type of advanced anti-tank combat gear, the Extra Armor will save the Land Raider, and sometimes the game.
For turns where I know I'll be taking some serious Melta hate to my Land Raider, I use Smoke Launchers. The downgrade to Glancing Hits only is a blessing against weaponry that easily penetrates every time.
2H - LEGIO HYDRA
Extra armour and smoke are effectively "mandatory" upgrades on all GK vehicles. About the only vehicle that I don't always take both is my trusty TLLC/ML dreads. On those models I'm willing to forgo smoke if need be, but I will buy it if I have a few points left over.
GK armies only work when you can maintain your mobility. Having a 1/3 chance of your land raiders being stuck for at least one turn off a glancing hit -- and a 2/3 chance off a penetrating hit! -- being reduced down to 1/6 and 1/2, respectively, is a HUGE benefit, and should always be taken. This is even more true when talking about dreadnoughts, who are even more vulnerable than our raiders.
Extra armour's only 5 points for us! There is a reason why the "new" prices in Imperial codexes has been upped to 15 pts. Extra armour really is that good, that useful. Take it!
Smoke is very nearly as necessary, especially since we get to take advantage of the "always glancing hits" instead of 4+ cover save. You can get a 4+ cover save just from smart tactical positioning on the table, but enforcing glancing hits is fantastic! In combination with extra armour, you are all but guaranteed to get your vehicle where you want it on the turn following the smoke launch. Smoke effectively gives you two turns of full movement that you can count on. Three points for this piece of wargear is criminal. I'd almost call it cheating. Unless you literally have no points left over, there is no excuse for not taking smoke on any of your GK vehicles.
ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014
Here's the thing about smokes on a LR. The LR's shooting is just too good to use smoke. Especially with Power of the Machine Spirit, each turn I can fire at least 1 TLLC or my multimelta or asscannon or TLHB in addition to my hurricane bolters. Why wouldn't I want to?
Now, technically we can fire even through smokes thanks to our PotMS, but people almost always cry foul when we do so. Maybe in a competitive game like a tourney, I would resort to that, but in friendly games, I'd rather skip the hassle of always arguing this point with my opponents. It's already bad enough that I field 2-3 LR's in a game. Combine that with PotMS, my GM's ability to kill outright, and now firing through smokes? They'll brand me a totally cheesy powergamer.
Then again you don't have to WYSIWYG Extra Armour so I'll probably continue to take it if only for that reason >_<The Smurfs get theirs for free D-:Three points for this piece of wargear is criminal.
I'm a proponent of smoking up vehicles myself, tanks feel naked without it, but the jury's still out on wether I prefer the enforced glancing hit or the 4+ cover save (assuming it's a friendly game and I'd get the choice). Doing it the DH Codex way does make Extra Armour a better purchase though
I you want to talk about criminal amount of points for a piece of wargear, try 1 pnt for searchlights
Even a meager 1 point is to much for something that doesn't do anything in most matches.
But this on a side note.
But I have to agree on the Extra armor part: If it so good that most armies have to pay 15 pts, so buy it with 5 pts
Don't the DH Landraiders COME with extra armor or is that just the LRC? If they do what's the point in buying it again?