Librarium Online Forums banner

Any pointers for Deathwing?

363 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  girlhunter2102 
#1 ·
I guess the title says most of it. I am considering my second army for once my tyranids are completed and along with several other armies, deathwing is one that I have always wanted to try.

I understand that a deathwing army probably isn't the most effective, but I was wondering if there are any other deathwing players out there that can give me some pointers. Just general stuff really.

I'd prefer to do a pure deathwing army but am open to other suggestions as well.

#3 ·
Patience brother, the rites of the Deathwing are privy to an elite few and we tend to sleep late :p

Deathwing is a very fun build, maybe not the most uber competitive but still viable. Scoring Terminators, Apothecaries, Venerable Dreadnoughts, and Land Raiders (subpar as they may be, AV14 is AV14).

Deathwing is not an assault army, rather a mobile shooty force. Keep your enemy at arm's reach and shoot, shoot, shoot. Keep moving to stay out of assaults and blast away. The only exception is a choppy unit joined by an Interrogator-Chaplain, and even then it may not hold up against the really mean stuff like Nob Bikers.

Assault Cannons are order of the day to fit in with the 24" sweet spot of DW range. Cyclones are good on the approach, but only having 1 shot really hurts them.

Venerable is a must have on every Dread, stick them in cover and you have a very stable firing platform. I'm normally a fan of multi-melta and heavy flamers, but TLLC/ML can help harass vehicles from further away, affording extra protection.

#4 ·
While rebuilding my BT army tactics, I've turned my hand to mastering the Deathwing.

In standard games of 1,500 points of Deathwing thus far, I've always brought in at least 25 termies (5 man squads apiece = 5 boxes of terminators) and almost all of them are the shooty variants. They are of course led by Belial and accompanied by one Deathwing Dreadnought armed with multimelta and ddcw, extra armour.

The low body count also translates into a higher rate of attrition on your part as enemies often outnumber the Deathwing in ALL the games I've played thus far. Even necrons who are usually outnumbered by 1.5:1 or more outnumbers the Deathwing.

About the best thing in all of this is that all your Termies are scoring units, and they need to take a least 3 casualties per squad to make it a non-scoring unit but they can still contest objectives to the last man and force a draw when it comes to taking objectives.

Belial is also the cheapest HQ SM Commander I've seen thus far. About all i can tell you right now is this.

1. Deployment is very important to achieve critical objectives.

2. Deathwing is a tough durable army but casualties can be high if you do not make use of terrain to gain cover. Even with their 2+ saves, Terminators can still fall to small arms fire.

3. Always consider very carefully where you want your termies to walk their 6" move per turn, their short range of 24" for their weaponry means that when they march forward, there is no turning back.

4. Assault Cannons are your friend.

#5 ·
When it comes to DW the tactics you use depend on the army your facing. Like against Orks I suicide hvy flamers just to whittle them down for belials squad and my librarians squad who just keep backing up until they finally charge the 10 or less boys left.

Typically what I like to do in terms of list wise to be relatively balanced is give every squad an assault cannon, and AT LEAST one pair of lightning claws. After all terminators were made for assault.

I like to deepstrike my whole army in order to give me some flexability. I can then send some after objectives and some to be distractions. Or have them run around, forcing your enemy to spread his fire (somewhat) and converge slowly but surely on objectives.

My wording sucks but I hope this helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.