Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
can someone list what they think the pros and cons of the new IG codex is?
107th Regiment, 5th Armored Battle Group- 5500ptsFor someone to deal as much damage as you did, the Emperor must surely be at your side. - MaxDv
It's not out quite yet, but based on the rumours there is a significantly larger number of "pros" over "cons." Hellguns, point costs, etc. at the expense of Doctrines and the likes. I imagine the job on the IG codex will be similar to the job done on the Space Marines codex, so IG players will likely not be disappointed (unless they are just looking for something to complain about, ala Space Marines players and Traits).
Still a skill-codex
The Heavy Slot
A new bag of tricks from the HQ slot
Half or our Fast Attack Choices
Not raising the power bar like each Codex before it (but that might be a good thing)
The Elites Slot
The other half of the fast attack slot
RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!
Some of the "cons" aren't really downsides, in my opinion, just things that we hoped would be addressed or fixed yet weren't. For example, I REALLY wanted Ogryns to be more accessible in the new dex, yet they were made MORE expensive points wise, and with no new models we're stuck paying for the individual pewter ones.
But, the "pros" are really awesome. Our new Stormtroopers are denying MEQ's their armor, and get to ride around in the bad ass Valkyre. Points wise, most everything dropped, thus allowing more bodies on the table and with the sudden influx of new artillery and tanks, the tread-heads are having mini-joygasms.
I wouldn't say my version is much different than most of them but:
A lot more choice for certain slots: More than just the 1 HQ choices, a few knew troops choices, and a lot of new vehicles to pick from.
Order system seems pretty interesting, adds some new strategy into the army, and makes the officers more important.
Ability to field more vehicles in squadrons, seems like more squads in platoons
Merging of squads should help in some instances with Kill Points
Cheaper basic infantry squads, and a lot of the special/heavy weapons got a bit of a point reduction too, as well as the Chimera
Improved side armout on tanks, and lumbering behemoth rule looks sweet
The special characters could be fun too
Main beef with the new codex is the points cost of certain units. Units like ogryns and sotrmtroopers were improved, but the point hike seemed too large. Penal legions seem to be more expensive that first thought as well
Some of the tanks seem a bit overcosted too, I can't see the punisher getting too much use at its current cost
The loss of doctrines would hurt some armies (like drop troops, carapace armour), but that can at least partially be made up for by Valkyries and carapace vets, respectively.
If tanks are in a true vehicle squadron (which at this point it looks like they are), that can hurt them in some ways too, as they are wrecked on immolbilized reaults, and having 3 tanks fire on the same thing is probably overkill (but 2 per squadron seems solid)
Please note that I haven't actually seen the codex, these are just rumours taken from different websites (warseer mainly), so there still could be a few surprises come May.
1. Loss of Leadership bubble (units near Officers still test at their own leadership).
2. Point hike in both Ogryns and Stormies
3. Hellhound Nerf (have to get close enough to be assaulted/melta)
5. HWS/SWS are still KP liabilities and have bad Ld7
6. No more DS 5man/3melta suicide Vet squads
7. Plasmaguns increased to 15pts each, and do not benefit from Orders
8. Sponsons doubled in price
1. Cheaper/Better infantry
2. Orders are awesome and make up for loss of Leadership
3. Free Vet Sgts in our Infantry squads help make up for loss of Leadership
4. Vets are now Troops
5. Rough Riders are not f'ed up
11. We have fast skimmer transports!
12. cheap Chimeras (and almost every unit can take them)
13. Some awesome Special Characters! (Yarrik is a beast)
14. KP fix (my 23 KP army can now be 13)
15. Cool advisors
16. cheaper flamers!, autocannons!!, and ... mortars and grenade launchers (they still blow)
17. Vendetta might be the best thing since the LRBT
All in all, I feel the Pros far outweigh the Cons, and I am really pumped about the new Codex.
- New Tank/Sentinel options
- Reduced points cost of Infantry squads and Chimeras
- Hell-Strike Missiles
- Lumbering Behemoth
- Vehicle Squadrons (The Vehicle Squadron rules are not a good thing, but the option should still be there to field Tanks solo; squad size 1-3)
- Insane Storm-Trooper points hike. A group of 10 with 2 special weapons is going to run about 200 points without transport, Ouch!
- Increased points cost of battle tanks
- A new tactic people are going to start employing is taking down the Command structure, and our Command squads aren't exactly rough and tumble bring it on we can take it kind of units, they'll be severely crippled, if not destroyed, with one solid round of small arms fire and with the new Orders system I think we need our Command squads now more than ever.
"The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte
Haven't seen the codex but from the rumors:
NO TANITH! (No army-wide camo-cloaks)
What they said.
Plus the possibility to field an all vet army if they are troops (I dunno if they're limited or not but if they're not than an all vet army that infiltrates will have to be how I field tanith)
Most Notable Achievements:
Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.
I'll keep this simple:
1 ) a better and more variety for HQ choice
2 ) New special characters
3 ) heavy weapons apart of the infantry platoon
4 ) a useful platoon command squad
5 ) new models to play with
6 ) better psykers
7 ) new advisors
8 ) new vehicles
9 ) still hae my trusty Battle Tank and Basilisk
10 ) veterans as a troop choice
11 ) skimmers at last
1 ) to many bells and whistles
2 ) no Gaunt
3 ) Stormtroopers are a little overpriced in my opinion but it will do
4 ) lose the doctrines
5 ) some unneeded new fast attack tanks
7 ) can take too many tanks which is worthless in my opinion.
8 ) artillery options were a disappointment
9 ) loss of close order drill
10 ) expect Valkyrie spamming and tank spamming which is pointless
11 ) hellguns only range 18"