Pedro Kantor Rules Clarification - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedro Kantor Rules Clarification

Does Pedro Kantors extra attack for all units within 12 inches work while he is in a vehicle?

I'm planning on hiding him in a land raider to keep him alive for as long as possible while reaping the benefits of his combat bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Warning this user is totally insane...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

That's a tricky one, but I would personally argue against that. He's no longer on the table when he is in a transport, so I can't see the models being able to use the rule. Plus, in a fluff POV (not that it actually matters as far as rules go), can you imagine how the troops would feel?

"Look, Master Kantor is.... hiding in a Land Raider? I feel so inspired!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh i can certainly agree there, fluff wise it is a bit of a reach.

I've been through the rulebook a couple of times and it doesn't even make reference of how special rules or banners (which have a similar effect) work while in a transport.

I thought it might work as psychic powers work from inside transports, but the only problem there is that especially in the case of a land raider you get a considerable range boost. If you measure it from the tanks hull it would give the power an extra 3 inches or so in all directions.

To be honest right now it is seeming that it is going to be the same way as most other things in this edition... if it doesn't say no it means yes. Example... 2 handed weapons, you can have 2 of them. Oh and a bike. Like which idiot forgot to write that in?
    Last edited by unholyheretic; March 24th, 2009 at 20:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    "Look, Master Kantor is.... hiding in a Land Raider? I feel so inspired!"
    ROFL!

I would argue Nem's side on this, as bonuses given to units within an area around a model should be lost when the model is inside a transport. Neither rulebook or codex FAQ's cover this though.

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think i found my answer. A bit more digging through the transport section and i came up with this:

5th Edition Rulebook, Page 66 - Embarking

"If the players need to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicles hull."

So yeh, opinions? I know fluff wise it doesn't work... unless you imagine him standing on the landraider shouting the emperors praises.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

"All friendly units within 12" of Pedro Kantor..."

A rather ambiguous sentence, as so many others in this codex. It all boils down to "what is 'within' 12" of Kantor?" Does it count as being within 12" when he is in a transport, or does he have to be on the table itself?

Without clarification (or a rule we're missing in the BR, it's impossible to have a definitive answer, so I'd discuss it with your gaming group and, if need be, roll some dice to determine whether or not it's allowed. Personally, it seems to me as though they mean for him to be on the table, not in a vehicle, but without a more definitive answer out of the codex, BRB or a FAQ, you can probably play it either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh i think asking my opponent/group will probably be the best way to go about it. And if I get a who knows result... i'll ask my random number generator cubes.

1-3 = Kantor hiding in the corner of a landraider while giving my men extra attacks
    4-6 = Kantor being forced to find somewere else to cower while giving my men extra attacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by unholyheretic View Post
    5th Edition Rulebook, Page 66 - Embarking

"If the players need to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicles hull."
    This is the exact reason why CSM Icons work from within transports. The same goes for the DA character that grants a Fearless range, Teleport Homers, and even Pedro's +1 Attack radius (or any other banner type effect).

So yes, Kantor does get to grant it from a transport. Remember, fluff and logic are not rules.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

I don't really see where the problem is here and I must side with psicho.. as unholyheretic pointed out, if you need to measure a distance for something inside a transport measure it from the vehicles hull.. so what's within 12" on Kantor equals to what's within 12" on the Landraider/whatever he's embarked on.. Pretty obvious to me.. Maybe a bit cheesy.. I dont know.. I'd most likely want him outside the LR either way to join the fight..
    And hmm.. why is 'within 12"' ambiguous..? I've always assumed that a model inside a transport was considered to be on the table? Thinking of Marneus and Sicarius now.. But I might be wrong about everything then.. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    So yes, Kantor does get to grant it from a transport. Remember, fluff and logic are not rules.
    I agree.

In case of Blood Angels, Brother Corbulo grants Furious Charge even if he is riding inside a vehicle. For the purpose of seeing which units are affected, the distance is measured from the hull of the vehicle.

The same system is applied to BA and DA Apothecarii who allow to ignore a model's failed save roll as long as it's within a certain distance.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

+ Reply to Thread