mutated space marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mutated space marines

hey for a backround i was wondering like a salamander chapter that had its geen seed mixed with some krox DNA and mutated but are still loyal to the emperor

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Imperium wouldn't allow it and they'd certainly send others to kill them.

That being said, with a decent enough head-start these Space Marines might just get away...maybe. They'd be a renegade chapter but that wouldn't stop them being loyal to the Emperor, even if the Imperium isn't loyal to them.

I'd imagine they'd have a higher number of bionics to cover up said mutations too...or more apocatharies.

All of that aside, how exactly did this mix occur? Sabotage? A virus? Warp-stuff gone wrong? Attack of the Vampire Space Jesus and his Chemistry Kit of Doom?
    Last edited by HearMeRoar; March 27th, 2009 at 18:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attack of the Vampire Space Jesus and his Chemistry Kit of Doom?
    lol

no like a crazy experiment like space wolves sorta.
    is their any chapter that cant have allies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there was a doctrine in one of the older versions of the codex that specified that (can anyone confirm this please?) so there could very well be canon ones that operated like that, but I'm not sure.

As for the experiment fluff, I'm not sure they'd attempt it without them being a potential heretic (think Magnus the Red, doing stuff in secret for the "greater good") so you'd have to play the fluff very carefully to make it believable and well...not naff.

I think a happy halfway point would be to say that there was a fault or mutation in the gene seed and they were trying to fix it and one of the methods involved using Krox genes which led to an even worse mutaton...or something.

They wouldn't attempt something like that without a good reason. Simply trying to make them stronger wouldn't cut it, I think, without them being mad or rather un-space-marine-like.

In theory though, it could be pulled off. Just be careful how you do it. In order to get the suspencion of disbelief you need, it has to be logical and fit the mythos and manner of the Space Marines, with adversity being the cause of deviation and not whimsy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

A few chapters that are heavily mutated are the Fire hawks (I believe they have a problem with spontaneous combustion.) Black Dragons have large spikes growing out of their arms and such. They are still tolerated by the imperium, but I think the mutations really stem from their world of origin, like the space wolves and blood angels.
    So if your fluff was that they do their recruiting from a feral world that has beast men like people, you could work in some minor mutations.

If the mutations run rampant I think the empire would do something about it, but even the space wolves have the 13th company.

Fire hawks might actually be called Flame Falcons; I am trying to remember from the old chapter approved books.
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

One possible explanation of the mutation could be something similar to the 21st Founding. Linky Link

The focus of the Twenty First Founding seems to have been on perfecting and removing deficiencies in flawed gene-seed. The Twenty First Founding is also known as the Cursed Founding, because of the appalling bad luck that seems to dog the Chapters created. Several have disappeared mysteriously while in action or in warp space. Every surviving Chapter of the founding is affected by spontaneous genetic mutation of its gene-seed.

Something similar could explain the mutation, that the gene experimentation was to try and remove a flaw in a gene and it went wrong resulting in the marines.

They could then have dissapeared, in a similar fashion to the Sons of Antaeus who are very rarely seen. Linky Link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I think of the mutations as more of evolution. Mutation has a negative connotation to it and I don't feel like these modifications negatively impact the chapters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i may go with something like they were useing krox dna to try and fix a flaw in the geen seed and it worked great but caused mutation (would like something else besides mutation) and so the chapter fled from there hunters but they still remain unyealding to the emperor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by isitused View Post
    but I think the mutations really stem from their world of origin, like the space wolves and blood angels.
    I wonder where you read that Blood Angels have mutations.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival View Post
    I wonder where you read that Blood Angels have mutations.
    Well they're vampires. Couldn't you tell by their red armour and blood themes? :p

Actually, yes, I have the pdf that claims it's a codex...

...it's all a lie! They're vampires I tell you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast