guard versus nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guard versus nids

So I am putting together a guard army and my mate has just bought a tyranid army. What tactics should I employ to kick his ass? will an Ogryn stand up to genestealers? What do I have to watch out for? What should I be killing early on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

The new codex will changes things a bit

But currently (imo) your best bet is to

A) Lots of cheap squads. My favorite is a HB/flamer squad. Kicks out good anti horde and will not cost a lot.
    Hellhounds (they roast bugs)
    C) Some lascannons and meltaguns in command/vet squads. You need to pop some big bugs.

Castle up around a large firebase. With a bunch of small squads surrounding your core firebase of HWsquads and tanks (have a HQ w/ banner in center). Then get ready to unleash firepower as they come running.

For objectives, deepstrike a platoon (remember keep the squads cheap, just a melta or flamer will be fine) onto the objectives (after you have weakened the area with firepower).

Anything that gets assaulted will die, do not bother trying to fight this. After the squad dies, move a squad close and rapidfire/flame and shoot them up with the rest of your army. This is why you need many cheap squads to eat the assaults and still be able to continue blasting

Things can get tricky against Nids, especially if you don't pop the big ones before they crash into your lines! Thankfully we're getting a new codex soon and things will get a lil better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Use templates. Grenade Launchers and Hellhounds work well. Flamers are tricky to use properly, but can be devestating (stick two or three in a command squad, then wait for a unit to get charged, die or break, then toast the exposed enemy units). Lascannons, Plasma Guns, and Ratlings are good for taking out the big ones. Missile launchers do well against both the big ones and hordes.

Ogryns will not stand up to genestealers. In fact, nothing you have will stand up to genestealers, especially if they get the charge.

Watch out for monsterous creatures or genestealers charging your tanks, or gaunt squads charging and tying up multiple squads.

Priority targets are winged tyrants and genestealers, then anything closing in on your lines. If he's low on synapse creatures, they're priority targets.

That all said, we can go into more detail if we know what he (and you!) can/are fielding.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grenade launchers, missile launchers, and autocannons. Heavy bolters are nice, but autocannons will make dealing with big bugs easier. I find frag missiles more useful for small bugs than heavy bolters. You can ussually kill more and almost always hit something.

Believe it or not sentinals are a great idea too. A sentinal will last forever wrapped up in hand to hand with a squad of gaunts. Especially when the new codex comes out with the armor 12 sentinals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will probably be using small army to begin with as I am just starting out.

At the moment I have

HQ and a command squad with nothing special added

a couple of squads with grenade launchers but no heavey

three Auto cannons

a russ with bolters on the side

I will eventually build up to 1000+points making purchases based on advice and experience.

I dont know what he will field but I know he has a lot of genestealers and is really eager to test out his new carniflex (im not even sure if he can field them in this size army as I dont know the codex at all). He has three carniflex two with ranged weapons and one close combat. He has quite a few other things but the genestealers and the carniflex seem to be the main thrust of his army. Will my auto cannon deal with his carniflex ok or will I have to leave that to the lascannon on the russ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same thing happened to me and this is what I learnt. In small scale battles you probably wont be using the force organistion chart, (you would need around 50 men) so heres what i recommend.

Keep the upgrades to a minimum, take lots of grenade launchers (4 in a command squad is very nasty) Take mortars as well, you need to be firing at him from the get go.

Leman russ's are a bit overkill at this stage the points could be much better spent. I highly recommend vehicles though, if you can outmaneuvre him and get some of his units moving in a different direction to the rest of his army then you are onto a winner (think synapse) as boxant says hellhounds are the best, but if youre sticking to troops then you'll find chimeras will work wonders (gets cheaper in new dex!)

I have had some good success with flamers but tbh it really suprised me

Aside from that, take the fast ones out first like hormagaunts (cant stress that enough), take close order drill (attack same time as gaunts in cc) forget about ogryns, spend the points on bombarding the sh*t out of him. Watch out for Warriors they are stupidly powerful with the right upgrades and can outshoot IG anyday, (I would love a S5 blast weapon in my ranks)

Hold your lines, strike hard, strike fast and may the emperor be with you!

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

oh also, I wouldnt recommend autocannons, HB's are better for the swarms, as for the carnifex's you'll need lascannons or missile launchers. Or better yet vet squads with plasma guns (gets pricey though) or more controversially, ratlings.

If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I play my mates nids all the time

blow up his genestealers as early as possible

leman russes are perfect

take a demolisher for the big guys

mortars are good at taking out standard gaunts

a missile launcher or lascannon team take down warriors like they were made of paper

your ogryns will get ripped apart

sentinels hold up gaunts really well if you assault them - they cant penetrate your armour!

hope ive helped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by carrotman50 View Post
    leman russes are perfect

take a demolisher for the big guys

mortars are good at taking out standard gaunts

a missile launcher or lascannon team take down warriors like they were made of paper
    Russes are perfect, unless your enemy uses shooting Fexes and Zoantrophes, always remember.

Demolisher scatters! And for points per Demolisher you can have one and a half of lascannon team, more shots, better chances! And though can be easily eaten in combat, so can russ by anything with S4 or more and rending, not to mention a single shot can destroy it.

Warriors are usually synapse... you know... Lascannon and Missiles don't seem to be best weapon. Autocannons, HBs seem to be... better.

When it comes to me: don't use tanks, you can get great numbers. Distract by having troops at the enemy's rear, bring plasmas and lascannons for bigger, bring fists to finish them, bring flamers to deal with smaller ones! Always remember they wont consolidate into combat, but will likely charge many units! Create lines with your units, protect those befind, prepare to flame them all! Both Gaunts and Genestealers are xetremely vulnerable to flamers and even lasgun fire! And single wounded Tyrant/Carnifex should be easy prey to Veteran's Veteran Sergeant with Power Fist, if not Commissar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

synapse

Ok so I have never played nids and never read the codex. synapse I'm guessing is his leadership structure without which the army falls apart? how does it work? do his smaller soldiers need to stay in range of his bigger ones? so if i can thin out his force and then cut out larger nids i can effectively cut off huge swathes of his army?

I'm not usually a big fan of flamers and i my fluff prefers solid shell weapons so perhaps i should be getting a heavy bolter squad or a missile squad. i might move the grenade launchers from the rank and file and concentrate them in command squads so that the rank and files are just used to slow down the advancing horde. I like the idea of castling but there seems to be a lot of objective based missions and rumors are they will be amazing next dex so perhaps i should pick up some stormtroopers with deepstrike. I guess they will be good for splitting his forces but again will get massacred in close? the mortars indirect fire would be useful in that case but everyone keeps telling me they suck. Sorry, rambling, just saying what comes into my head as i think through what you guys have said.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Without Synpase Tyranids revert to Instinctive Behavior, which essentially means the Tyranid player has to roll Leadership to control their broods. The only Tyranids that truly need Synapse are Gaunts because ther Leadership is 5, all the other broods have a Ld of 10 making the test an inconsequential formailty.

The Tyranid Syanpse creatures are: Hive Tyrants, Broodlords, Tyranid Warriors, and upgraded Zoanthorpes. IMO, taking down Synapse creatures is not as important as a lot of people make it out to be, because once Gaunts are knee-deep in assaults the effect of Instinctive Behavior is ignored.

For as long as the Gaunts are out of assault range, (which is usually the first two turns), it's a good idea to aim your Autocannons, Missile Launchers, Plasma Guns, and Lascannons at the Synapse creatures, (only those four weapons; everything else should be doing horde control from the get-go), to hopefully force Instinctive Behavior. But, once the third turn starts you want to be using those weapons solely for threat priority, a.k.a finishing off the Tyrants, then taking down Carnifexes, then taking down whatever is most threatening at the time.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; March 29th, 2009 at 00:16.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast