Mixing Armies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mixing Armies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mixing Armies?

So, I've always had a Cadian army, painted in the scheme very similar to the 85th Cadian Firedrakes. However, a friend of mine for my birthday recently gave me a squad of the older Vostroyan metal models, painted to match my army.
    So, is it legal for me to have this squad in my Cadian army; and if so... what would be the fluff behind a random Vostroyan squad? I do plan on taking Capt. Chenkov when the new dex comes out....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

I'm pretty sure guard uniforms are most commonly army wide, and an army can include lots of different regiments, so usually if the war is on a snow world for example all the Cadians, Vostroyans, Kriegians(?) etc. will be issued with white uniforms. So your Vostroyans could easily fight beside your Cadians with the same colours. If they have Cadian insignia too though that could be a little weird.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Unifroms mean nothing in game at all. The onlt time it became important was with the extra doctriens an army could use by taking certain regiments. (that will be gone in the new codex though).

A lot of players tend to use different regimental models to represent different units, for example command squads using mordians, conscripts as catachans, vostroyans as stormies/ grens steel legion as armoured fist etc etc.

So bascally use them int hat new Chenkov unti you are going to go for, will be anice touch and also make the unti more obvious menaing opponents will be happier! (until those 50 conscripts reappear obviously!)

Hope that helps

A

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Also guard regiments fight along side each other on a platoon by platoon or company by company basis so it's not unfeasible for a vostroyan unit to be in support of your cadian company.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Alternatively you could use vostorians for special types of guys, such as your main command squad being a general that isn't part of the regiment and his advisors. You could eve use them as stormtroopers if you want.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

I use Vostrians as the "bodyguards" and "Adjutants" for my officers, so they are what my command squad consist of. It represents the fancy guard for officers.
    For someone to deal as much damage as you did, the Emperor must surely be at your side. - MaxDv
    107th Regiment, 5th Armored Battle Group- 5500pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

The short option: Cadian fatigues are Departmento Munitorum standard. Your regiment is an obscure Vostroyan regiment with that colour scheme, and, due to a mix up at the quartermaster's stores, only a small number of troops (veterans, elites, officers' bodyguards, whatever) have access to their home planet's dress. The rest have to make do with the default kit.

The longer version:

Military organisation (which includes personnel, training, logistics, doctrine, etc) is massively simplified by having relatively homogeneous units at an operational level - by which I mean approximately Company level. Coincidentally - or not - a short Company is approximately the force size you'd be fielding in a 1500pt game: 2-3 platoons, plus command elements.

But wait, you ask, what about my tanks? Artillery? Special forces? These all fall under the 'approximately'. On the battlefield, it's not only permissible, but de rigeur to mix and match units in order to achieve a strong combined arms force. These attached units may well come from other battalions or regiments of the same planet as your core force, or they may be from elsewhere altogether.

For instance, I have:

Core infantry (approx 2-3 platoons, depending on how I organise them): "Valhallan" cadians, painted in snow camo
    Elite infantry (Kasrkin and armoured fist squads): from a combat pioneer regiment of my own devising
    Tanks: from an armoured regiment, again of my own invention
    Inquisitor's bodyguard: another colour scheme again, this time for his household troops

And on my to-do list I have some Valkyries and airborne troops, who will be from yet another unit.

Basically: the sky's the limit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I was going to do a mixed army of Cadians as my line troops then Catachans as my infiltrators.
    We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....

+ Reply to Thread