Vindicator and/or Whirlwind? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Vindicator and/or Whirlwind?

Good morning,

I wish to and anti-troop/fire support to my force. I wish to include two tanks, to fill this role, and I have my eye set on both the Vindicator and the Whirlwind. I would like to take, one of each, but maybe take two of either?

Looking for guidance, and opinions.

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I like the vindicator. It has the potential to kill any model it hits. It has better armor. I like to present my opponent with a wide range of threats and force them to choose what to attack, while I hit them with everything. I love the vindicator.
    The whirlwind can sit back and shoot from afar, which is nice. I have never really enjoyed using mine though.
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

So, could I go with one of each then?

I really like both of the models.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I think that is a great solution! I love the models too!!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Vindicator is a frontal assault doom unit and will draw lots of fire, while the Whirlwind is an exclusively anti-infantry platform that should be sitting behind cover lobbing pie plates with impunity.

Depends on your army really, a mech force benefits from a Vindicator greatly while a more defensive list could field a couple Whirlwinds and be fine.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Depends on your army really, a mech force benefits from a Vindicator greatly while a more defensive list could field a couple Whirlwinds and be fine.
    I'd disagree with the Vindi being used as purely offensive... if you are forced into a fallback situation, the Vindi can effectively shut down an entire lane for troops and vehicles alike. I think the whirlwind can be useful for pinning down shooting troops while your assault comes to bear as well. Ultimately it comes down to what you like best for your army.
    Do you want a anti-tank, anti-troop weapon that requires LOS but can put fear in the heart of many a commander, or do you like the idea of a pinning barrage from the sky type spreading confusion and sending troops diving for cover from a defended spot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

The Vindicator is good, but it has a very short range so I would only use it in battles against armies like Orks and Tyranids that need to get close to you to be effective. The Whirlwind, on the other hand, is less useful against close-quarter armies but is still sometimes worth having. Maybe get both, but I would say Whirlwind by preference. Neither tank, however, is really worth getting two of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing I would say in response to that is vindis generally need to be fielded as groups where a single whirly can generally be fine. A single Vindi will absorb most the AT fire as it sports the pie plate of death for hordes and small elite armies alike. Thus, two ensures a higher rate of survival and a better chance of destruction of the enemy gun line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Thank you all, for the "food for thought"!

This is alot of info, which will have me thinking for quite some time.

You all have been REP!

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon in White View Post
    Neither tank, however, is really worth getting two of.
    I completely disagree with this statement.

Vindicators almost always work better when fielded in pairs; it's not too difficult to dodge one tank, but dodging two is almost impossible when you deploy them to cover one another's weak points. Two Demolisher plates is an extremely dangerous thing to come up against, and as said before, Vindicators tend to get shot at a lot so having two will spread the fire around a little bit.

As for Whirlwinds, they are reasonably cheap and can really support a defensive list incredibly well. Putting on on either side of the table, out of sight, and you've essentially got another combination that is very difficult to dodge, and quite annoying to your opponent. Similar in effect to the twin Basilisk strategy employed by Imperial Guard players.

One of each could work, but only if you have enough other vehicles on the table to protect your lone Vindicator, I feel. Rhinos, Razorbacks, Dreadnoughts, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast