Vidrian and his marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Vidrian and his marines

Since the start of the 5th edition i just gave up on 40k. Both because fantasy got my attention ( and is way cooler in my oppinion) and because the new specamarine codex made my army illigal and useless. sure it was only a 1k army, but i just had it finished the moment the 5th edition came out...it was MY 1K list =(

anyhow, my regular opponent and roommate Forumjayz suddenly cowered out of playing fantasy and started an eldar army (i think he quit because i massacred his ass in the first 1k game we had but he said something about woodelves not beeing able to win anymore in the new edition)
    but to make sure that we keep playing i decided to take the fight to him and challenge him in 40k...

so i picked up the codex and BBB and started reading...and reading...and reading

now i am not completely un experienced with 40k, i'm no Pro either but i have a fair amount of games played back in the 4th edition. But right now...i have no idea where to begin.

so! here is my question to you guys! wanna help me kick his ass in 40k aswell so he'll come back to playing fantasy! ( and just so i can get back into 40k myself )?

here is my old list, it's a "rhinorush" list...and i happen to have heard that rhinorush is very populair these days, which made me very happy, well that and the buffing of sniper rifles.

command squad
    forcecommander, stormbolter, lightningclaw, furious charge, frag grenades
    1 vet. Sergeant, powerfist, boltpistol, furious charge
    7 marines, hth weapons, furious charge
    1 rhino, extra armour, dozerbalde
    total: 343 pts

tactical squad
    1 vet. Sergeant, powerfist, boltpistol
    7 marines, bolters, plasmagun
    1 rhino, extra armour
    total: 215 pts

scout squad
    6 scouts, 5 sniper rifles, heavy bolter
    total: 108 pts

assault squad
    1 vet. Sergeant, powerfist, boltpistol
    7 marines, jump-pack
    total: 199 pts

vindicator
    1 vindicator, extra armour, Dozer blade
    total: 135 pts

model count:
    25 marines
    6 scouts
    3 tanks

this is basically what i have painted and ready and some extra marines in normal bolter loadout.

has anyone got any suggestions on how to changed this list, into a legal and fun to play 5th edition list? any advise is appritiated and ill see if i can post some pictures of my ultramarines one of these days.

help me destroy the alien scum!
    thanks y'all

Vid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Sorry but as you said your lis is no longer legal, command squads now have 5 men 1 being an apothecary, and they can't take vet skills, tactical squads now need to be 10 men to have heavy and special weapons...

I could try to give you an example of what your list would look like in 5th edition

HQ
    Captain stormbolter lightning claw 118
    Command Squad apoth bp ccw 1 vet p. fist bp 3 vet bp ccw rhino 175

Troops
    10 tactical marines sarg bp p. fist 1 plasma gun 1 heavy wep 7 bolters rhino 230
    5 scouts sarg sniper 3 scouts snipers 1 scout heavy bolter 85

Fast Attack
    8 assault marines sarg p. fist bp, 7 bp ccw 179

Heavy Support
    Vindicator seige shield 125

Total: 912

With the extra pints you could afford to take a whirlwind or another scout squad, remember in 5th edition only troops choices can capture objectives and ransports are much more useful because now they can carry just about any squad, not just the one they were bought for.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Wrong Codex bud, check the new one out.

Based on what you have, this could work.

Captain w/ lightning claws

6 Sternguard, 4 combi-meltas, Rhino

2x 10 man Tactical Squads w/ missile, flamer, powerfist, Rhino
    5 scouts, camo cloaks, sniper rifles

Vindicator

Around 1000 points, lots of Rhinos full of mariney goodness and a Vindicator. You could drop the Scouts for more Sternguard or a MM/HF speeder to help against tanks, but that's about it.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Vidrian,
    Yes, your old list is no longer legal, but I think you will find that Space Marines got better and in the new codex. They have some crazy-good units and special rules. Transports are much better and surviveable now. Rhinos now rock! There is lots of goodness all through the new Codex. Take some time to check it out and it won't be long before you are kicking Forumjayz butt!!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Three things you should do:

1- Get The New Codex
    2- Read reread and reread the newcodex
    3- Alter your list and post it up on LO for comments while reading the codex some more
    4- I lied, there's 4 things, now you get to re-do step 2
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by vidrian View Post

here is my old list......

this is basically what i have painted and ready and some extra marines in normal bolter loadout.

has anyone got any suggestions on how to changed this list, into a legal and fun to play 5th edition list?

Vid.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I always loved the "Wood Elves can't win anymore" cop-out. I still get "pin-cushioned", everytime I am against them. Sounds like your room-mate threw a tantrum, when he didn't win his first game.

Other posts have some good points ( their comments aside ), so I wanted to add my own.

1. I would try and squeeze in a Chaplain. They are quite good in a "rhino rush" list.

2. Keep your Tact units as 10men , and give them flamers. Always entertaining, to rush the main battleline, and WOOSH! what remains.

3. I don't see much of a "rhino rush", with only two rhinos. You could lose the Scouts and Assault Squad, to add more squads with rhinos. Besides, for the Scouts, I'd would have taken a ML within a squad of Sniping Scouts.

4. I am not too keen on your lone Vindicator, let alone its "upgrades". Will it move? If not, you can lose the dozer blade. Either way, your "lone" Vindicator will be blown off the field, in short order.

5. Command Squads are only 5men. If you wish to include a "Command Squad", with your Commander, I'd go for a Razorback. You also might want to consider equipping, your Commander, with a pair of lighting claws.

6. Just FYI, a "pistol" doesn't confer a +1 attack to powerfist-wielding troops anymore.

Last edited by MaleOpener; April 4th, 2009 at 14:21. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    284 (x5)

Well here is the Cop-out Wood Elves player and you might get pin cushioned but that's not that Easy against Vids Warriors of the Emperor (warriors of Choas my bad ) But that's a whole other discussion which isn't going to be held here!

So back on topic ==Me== and kevin vanrooyen Please read a the whole thread before posting inrellivant comments If you had read the post the stuff that kuffy pointed out would have crossed your eyes!

But I believe that Vid should really look into loosing his command squad completely and just going in a unit. I have seen the new command squad in action and It's pretty cool but small and that makes it very fragile.
    I think he should keep his vindicator it has been a thorn in my back in each game we played an seeing that my only way to beat it's armour in my list is my CC seer Council it should be save for a turn or 3. In that time it can do a lot of damage to my T4 AS3 Jet bikers.

his scouts are pretty nasty against my list seeing as his Heavy bolters can take out my vypers (AV 10 and open topped is still pretty scary ) so that's a big plus for that unit.

His assault unit has been a pain in the ass as well it just kept flying in at the wrong moment and trashed my units. and as they are pretty fast on the battle field he could contest objectives and use them as a meat shield for his rhino's (which means a 4+ cover save) making his rhino's even more durable.

So all in all I just think he could work out the points an try to turn it legal again with the minimum changes required. So adding some tactical marines to et them to 10. working out if he wants a command squad or not ( with apothecary basicly cheap terminators that fit in a rhino). And maybe drop the assault marines or buff them to 10 for legality?

Cheers CJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

A bit OT, but re: Wood Elves vs. Warriors of Chaos.

It's very much the hard to kill versus the hard to catch. Your arrows will have a tough time getting through him, but with no flyers or skirmishers he will never lay a hand (or tentacle) on you. Pound the Marauders with arrows and they drop like flies, the actualy Warriors you can basically ignore all game by march blocking and running circles around them. Pick off Sorcs with KB Wardancers and bring some magic protection and you're golden.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    284 (x5)

Well me since you asked for it here we go his List is completly armoured with the exception of a few dogs. he also has a flying mage with a 4+ armour save and a 3+ wardsave against shooting. So I can't Ignore anything and it's all pretty much unkillable for me it turns out. Even my wardancers bounce off him most of the time even if get a Flank charge. So I'm sorry but it's not a game of uncatchable vs unkillable. It's a game of the sitting duck vs the Wall of doom

If you want to know what's in his list precisely Check Here (fighting an empire gunline this weekend...).

But ==Me== I don't really see how he can go from his old SM list to your list? he doesn't have and extra 10 tact marines laying around nor a unit of sternguard with all those combi weapons. So if you could try to make something with the model he has now and just some basic adaptations that would really help him out a lot!

Cheers CJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast