The term 'Legion' and 'Chapter' - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The term 'Legion' and 'Chapter'

I'm wondering if the term 'Legion' i.e. 'Raptor Legion' is generally acceptable as a name of your SM force. I believe the fluff states the Legions where pre-Heresy and then broken up into Chapters. Some people tell me it's not allowed to be in the name of a Code chapter unless you are building a Pre-Heresy army. But then why names like the "Raptor Legion" and why not be able to use the term for a newer chapter just because it’s a neat term for a military force? I guess I'm just wondering if you think it's ok to use the name for my SM force or will I have to endlessly defend the name from other players?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as you have fluff to backup the name selection, I don't see it causing a problem.

For instance, a Roman themed chapter might use legion in it's name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Call them Legion just don't say they are A Legion.

Problems only arise when you say your DIY chapter is one of the missing Legions.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, thats what I'm talking about. I don't want to have to make it a part of the fluff. I dont want them to be a first founding, I just think 'legion' sounds better than 'guard' or 'chapter'. If they are called Storm Legion or Turbo Legion or something like that, does it fit into the standard Codex nomenclature (like say 'Raptor Legion').

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

I don't see the problem with it, GW has a pre-made chapter in the SM Codex with Legion in its name- the Doom Legion (Possibly modeled off of Dr. Doom, much like how I call the Fire Lords (Or w/e) the Iron Men)
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

As said, if legion is simply a part of their name, i.e. the Doom Legion mentioned by Grey, then there is no problem. The original Legions predated the current Chapters, so you can't really claim that your army is one of those, as even the original Legions are now Chapters (for example, I'm a Raven Guard player; they were one of the original Legions but are simply a Chapter now).

You can make your force's name anything you want, just keep in mind that your army will still technically be a "Chapter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Like the others have said, having legion as part of their name is fine, it doesn't mean that they are claiming to be one of the first founding legions.

My own chapter uses Legion in the name (actually, the latin form, legio) because, like shadowsilver03 suggested, they are Roman themed and it makes sense for a Roman themed army. Actually, my chapter takes their name directly from one of the Roman Legions, since I've called them Legio Victrix, after the Roman Legio VI Victrix, which was based in York for several centuries. I need to remember to post pictures at some point.

So, enough of an aside about my chapter, the use of the word Legion is fine.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread