Locator beacon on drop pods - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locator beacon on drop pods

I was thinking of adding a locator beacon to my dreadnought drop pod but need some clarification on the rules.

In the codex the only entry I can find with an explanation is on the scout bike page. It's pretty clear about deep strike units having to land within 6" of a model carrying the locator.

Does this mean you can only land your drop pod next to a scout bike squad to benefit from the locator beacon or have I missed something?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The locator beacon has to be already on the table so if your beacon is on the Bikes, then yes your DS'ing unit has to be within 6" to get the benefit. Alternatively you can put one on a Drop Pod to make further DS'ing near that pod more accurate.
    Last edited by Cougmeister; April 6th, 2009 at 01:28.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

If including a Locator Beacon on the drop pod, the pod coming in will scatter as normal, unless you have another beacon already on the table before you deep strike. the locator beacon on the pod acts the same as the one described on the scout bike's page, for other units deep striking on subsequent turns.

For example:
    If you only have 1 pod, (with your dread inside) and you have a locator beacon. Your pod will come down on your first turn (see Drop Pod Assault rule), your dread will walk out and wreak havoc, plus you will now have an anchor point ( locator beacon ) to which other deep striking units can deep strike ( within 6" ) without scattering, on your turn 2+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

How does this work with multiple pod drops?

For example, if I have five pods, then three will come in on the firs turn. If the first one that lands has a locator beacon, can the other pods then use this as well? After all, the original pod with the beacon is theoretically on the table before the others hit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The locator beacon description (p67) states:
    "Note that the locator beacon must be already on the table at the start of the turn for it to be used."

So say you have 3 drop pods (all with locator beacons) and a unit of deep-striking terminators.

In round 1, 2 drop pods will arrive. Both will scatter the normal distance as no other locator beacon was present at the start of the turn. Even if the 2nd pod will land within 6" of the first it still scatters as normal.
    Say in round 2 the 3rd pod arrives. It can than use both beacons. So if it lands within 6" of one of the other drop-pods it will not scatter. If in this round the terminators also arrive. They have to land within 6" of either drop-pod which arrived in turn 1 in order not to scatter.
    If the terminators arrive in round 3 or later they don't scatter if they land within 6" of either of the 3 dreadnought.

This does however destroy my devious plan to deep strike a dreadnought behind enemy lines and use its locator beacon to have terminators in the same turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your answers. All makes perfect sense now!

Unfortunately I only have one drop pod right now. Looks like I'll have to get myself some more to get the locator beacon benefit. (Don't like the look of the marine bikes!)

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

Pods are great. You say you don't like the look of the bikes but with locator beacons on they are a better way of getting those deepstrikes where you want them. Remember that the bikes can move upto 24" a turn and can move upto s4" in their scout move. Mobile locator beacon or what!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by frag1 View Post
    Unfortunately I only have one drop pod right now. Looks like I'll have to get myself some more to get the locator beacon benefit.
    Remember locator beacons are a good way to bring in landspeeders with close in weapons like MM & HF. Also terminators in dawn of war missions don't want to walk on from your table edge (especially assault tarmies) so can teleport to a locator beacon near close to the enemy.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frag1 View Post
    Unfortunately I only have one drop pod right now. Looks like I'll have to get myself some more to get the locator beacon benefit. (Don't like the look of the marine bikes!)
    If I remember correctly, you can also give the Locator Beacon to the Sergeant of a Tactical Squad. If my Blood Angels could do that, the Locator Beacon would travel with a Tactical Squad in a turbocharged Rhino at 18" per turn right into the heart of the enemy.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival View Post
    If I remember correctly, you can also give the Locator Beacon to the Sergeant of a Tactical Squad. If my Blood Angels could do that, the Locator Beacon would travel with a Tactical Squad in a turbocharged Rhino at 18" per turn right into the heart of the enemy.
    Unfortunately sergeants of tactical/scouts squads are not that good. They cannot have a locator beacon, only a teleporter homer. Which means only deep striking terminators benefit from not scattering if deep striking within 6" of the teleporter homer. As terminators are the only deep strike by means of teleportation. But then again, this might be good enought for you look Blood Angels. Although I would seriously dislike a furious dreadnought behind my lines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast