Black Templars, A beginners guide - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

Black Templars, A beginners guide

Black Templar
    I'd first off like to thank Bozinator and Belfast for their input on a different thread. Bang up advice guys.
    Also note, this is just opinions and ideas. None of these are guarantee's so keep that in mind when criticizing.
    I will be updating this, adding units, and tweaking what is already there. So if you have input, feel free to copy the outline and post it in this thread. I'll update it and add it to the beginning.
    When repping, rep the person who added the advice. So if someone else put it further in the thread and I copy it here, rep them and not me.

General Outline
    Unit:
    Recommended size: (for HQ, do you use retinues)
    Recommended gear:
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Recommended uses:

HQ

Unit: Emperor’s Champion
    Recommended size: 1
    Recommended gear: Accept Any Challenge No Matter The Odds
    Pros: Not really a choice in a BT army. Great in CC. The vows are amazing for their points.
    Cons: Low number of wounds. Bad alone in combat against units. Needs to be supported.
    Recommended uses: Run with Terminator or Big CC crusader squads. Put in LRC with them if you can.

Unit: Marshal
    Recommended gear: Variable.
    Pros: Ld 10 across the board is incredible. Helps shooting and Righteous Zeal. Great in CC. Can be cheap depending on what you give him.
    Cons: Low toughness, can be insta-killed. No real special abilities.
    Recommended uses: Put him with CC crusader squads in LRCs.

Elites

Unit: Terminator Squad (shooting)
    Recommended size: 5-10
    Recommended gear: Assault cannons. Take 2 cause you can.
    Pros: These guys are great in combat, great at shooting, great at surviving. Personally, I love them.
    Cons: They attack last in CC, and are expensive. Also, terminator armor means you can't pursue.
    Recommended uses: Deep strike them near softer but deadly units (like howling banshees) and shoot them to death. Then proceed to kill everything.

Unit: Techmarine
    Recommended size: 1+4 gun servitors
    Recommended gear: Multi-meltas, Plasma cannon.
    Pros: Small firepower units. Cheap for their guns. Servitors have decent BS and average save. Also special rules of techmarine.
    Cons: Takes up an ever so valuable elite slot. Easy unit to eliminate.
    Recommended uses: Fire line to support CC units.

Unit: Dreadnaught
    Recommended gear:Anything really. Lascannon + missile launcher for big targets, Assault + stormbolter for swarms, Multi-melta + power fist for tank hunting.
    Pros:Tough, cheap, great gun platform. Good AV for their points.
    Cons:Walkers, vehicles so 1 wound.
    Recommended uses:Sit them back and shoot. Or run them at the swarm army, just try and avoid combat. As tempting as it is, dreadnaughts are better at shooting in a black templar army.

Unit: Sword Brethren
    Recommended size: 5+
    Recommended gear:Whatever they can get, so power weapon + pair of lightning claws.
    Pros:Can get veteran abilities. Good in combat.
    Cons:Expensive, not very versatile.
    Recommended uses:Put them in a rhino with a marshal or Emperor's champion and rush their line with support, don't leave them alone or they will die. Or let them infiltrate a flank and try and hold it. They are good for pulling enemies out of position or operating behind battle lines.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Troops:
    Unit: Crusader Squad (CC)
    Recommended size: 10+ (10 initiates, 0-10 neophytes). Take as many neophytes as you can.
    Recommended gear: Melta gun + powerfist, flamer + power weapon. Based off need for high strength, or swarm armies.
    Pros: Amazing CC troop choice. These guys are killer in combat. Get them in combat.
    Cons: Righteous Zeal no longer lets you charge with it. Vulnerable to shooting.
    Recommended uses: Put in a LRC or rhino, and rush their lines. Give them support.

Unit: Crusader Squad (shooting)
    Recommended size: 5-8 (5-6 initiates, 0-3 neophytes)
    Recommended gear: Plasma gun, Missile Launcher/Lascannon
    Pros: Small firepower units, cheap heavy support that takes a troop choice. Great at holding objectives.
    Cons: Ld test to shoot at what you want, makes for a poor shooty squad. Righteous Zeal means they’ll be generally closer to the enemy than you want.
    Recommended uses: Fire line to support CC units. Holding objectives.

Fast Attack

Unit: Attack Bikes
    Recommended size: 2-3
    Recommended gear: Multi-meltas. Heavy bolters against swarms
    Pros: Amazing heavy firepower units. They have 2 wounds, big guns, cheap, fast, and tough to kill. Definitely recommend them.
    Cons: Need minimum of 2, meaning more expensive than taking 1 Landspeeder.
    Recommended uses: Flanking and killing big targets. Try and keep them covered or hidden. They will be targetted.

Unit: Landspeeder
    Recommended gear: Multi-melta
    Pros: Cheap, hard to kill multi-melta. Very mobile. New vehicle rules help it survive. Skimmer.
    Cons: Being vehicle means, 1 good shot can kill it. Skimmer: immobilize and difficult terrain can be deadly.
    Recommended uses: Target armored units, and try and kill them before they kill you. Take advantage of the skimmer rules.

Unit: Assault Squad
    Recommended size: 5+
    Recommended gear: Plasma pistol + power fist
    Pros: Jump pack marines. Enough said. Can usually get the charge off on what you want.
    Cons: Immune to Righteous Zeal, meaning normal marines can travel almost as far as them in 1 full turn. Expensive for what they do.
    Recommended uses: Rush a flank or objective with these guys. Support an assault.

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Heavy Support

Unit: Landraider Crusader
    Recommended gear:Smoke Launchers
    Pros:Amazing transport, great armor, tough as nails, large capacity.
    Cons:Expensive, not amazing against amor long range.
    Recommended uses:Fill this bad boy with CC models, maybe take 1 or 2 and rush the enemy lines. Also use it for LoS. Keep it obscured (hull down), its high armor value is deceiving and 1 lucky shot kills almost 300 pts.

Last edited by darcchipmunk; July 31st, 2009 at 05:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been keeping up with all the recent BT posts, and I have a question that would surely fall under the beginner's guide.

Why is there very little mention of the Sword Brethren Elite Unit? It seems that the unit could do well if tricked out with it's upgrades, etc. Yes, it does seem a bit expensive, but what are all the BT player's opinions about it?

I have a fairly massive Necron force, and the Pariahs are often looked upon as the black sheep of the army, looking great on paper but not in practice. Are the Sword Brethren similar?

Thanks for your input/advice.

jroode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x1)

My personal problem with Sword brethren is i've never played with them. So I have no experience beyond what is on paper, they are one of those units I'm relying on someone else's feedback for.

I do love the models though, so I'll probably get some in the next month and playtest them a bit.

cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with the Sword Brethren is that they can't be tricked out. You can get one power weapon and either a fist or a pair of LC. You'd get a better bang for your buck out of crusaders in my opinion.
    "Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men." - Jean Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x1)

Posting my opinions on sword brethren. Let me know if I'm off base on them.

cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note on the SB. You can kit them out to be deadly killers from the darkest depths of hell.... but they'll rarely be able to make their points back (PW weapon, LCs, and termi honors make them over thirty points a head I believe. If you do decide to choose them, try the Outflankin, harassing type setup. Perhaps give them some bolters and maybe a plasma or flamer. Treat them almost as regular SM scouts in a sense, not diving into the fray but nitpicking at the enemy so he must either address your threat or continue to lose small pieces of his army. If you do decide to kit them out for the charge, you better make that charge count. Take out an enemies long distance, high damage weapons. While taking out a large unit might seem cooler or more fun, your brother templars will thank you for taking out the big guns blowing them away as they charge towards the enemy line.

While they are elites, they are support elites, not bulletsponges like some of our bigger, thickly armored termis. If you choose not to use them as harassing units, they could be used as a support type unit, countercharging some large hordes which have smashed into your lines. However, you can get cheaper initiates to do the same thing w/o furious charge.

Mainly, I feel they are a more expensive scouts choice to make up for our lack of scouts. They are good for pulling enemies out of position or operating behind battle lines, but don't go charging in or you'll quickly find your squad has died and you've lost that tactical advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x1)

Added LRC and SB to main post.

cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x1)

This is now on the Space Marine Index, so any new additions would be great.

I'm gonna play test my sword brethren tonight or this week, so if anything changes I'll put it up.

cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

One thing I'm wondering about the BTs; Is it possible to have 5 HQ characters in a BT list, or am I misreading the Codex? The way I read it, it seems like I can take two Marshals with COmmand Squads, and attach a Chaplain to each Command Squad, and obviously you have to take the Emperor's Champion in games over 750pts. Is that right? If so, could you use Grimaldus as one of the Chaplains attached to the Command Squad?

Also, the Chaplains are allowed to buy little getrude helpers as items of wargear; does that mean I could buy a Chaplain with 3 getrudes and attach him to a squad, or do the little helper robots count as the Chaplain's unit? What about the Chaplains who come attached to a Marshal's Command Squad; are they also allowed to buy getrude helper robots and still remain part of the Command Squad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    Is it possible to have 5 HQ characters in a BT list, or am I misreading the Codex?
    No it is not. You can take Chaplains in Command squads, but they still take up an HQ slot. You cannot have a Chaplain and a Marshal in the same command squad to start. It specifically says 'or' and not 'and'. You can have 1 more than most armies since an Emperor's Champion does not take up a slot (but it seems you already knew that).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    does that mean I could buy a Chaplain with 3 getrudes and attach him to a squad, or do the little helper robots count as the Chaplain's unit?
    The Chaplain may have the cenobytes regardless of his command squad. So short answer is yes.

Also, I play tested sword brethren (only using infiltrate) and they more than made up their points. Plus the models are amazing. So I fully recommend them to any BT player.

cheers,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast