Napoleonic Style IG in 5th? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Napoleonic Style IG in 5th?

With the rumours we see, I think we could revert to Napoleonic Stlye Warfare!

Conscripts in a skirmish line, 50 men in 1 big squad. Officers behind.

First turn, move 6", run and now they all get a 4+ save. If going to seriously get shot at, use the "Incoming!" order to get a 2+, I don't think anyone would shoot at guardsmen with no special weapons. If ok, just suck it in and take all the wounds on sarges with no lasguns.

Turn two, get them to stand up, and they'll be in 24" range. Shoot away. If you didn't go to ground, "fire by rank"

Next turn the fun starts, you get to use "fire by rank". At 24" range, you should take out 4-5 marines in 1 volley. In 12" about 8.

We're the only army that doesn't care about cover saves for the enemy!

Also there is something sexy about rolling 150 lasgun shots.

As long as you have skirmishing conscripts to screen for close combat, your big unit will be impossible to kill while bringing lots of heart attacks for his uber units.

You think?

"Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Yeah, why not? This was a tactic you could have used with our 4th edition codex too, it's just become deadlier with Orders. However, you might not be able to give Conscripts orders, it just doesn't seem fluffy. If you can't, this tactic is still viable with an Infantry Platoon as you're only spending an additional 10 points for every 10 men and getting better BS and Ld.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; April 10th, 2009 at 06:00.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Sounds like fun to me. I was thinking along the lines of a unit of 50 with a single priest and a commisar aswell for a combat unit o doom! but this sounds just as fun!!!

Are you talking about a unit of 50 Conscripts here? or a unit of 50 Infantry?

50 infantry with Conscripts infront? I think you are. Yes?
    Last edited by Lord Borak; April 10th, 2009 at 11:20.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I have indeed thought about this and was planning something very similar in 4th but lacked the time to complete the required number of conversions. I was using grenadiers for well grenadiers, vets for skirmishing jaegers and I put the infantry on square bases (a practice I have momentarily stopped but will finish at some point) all backed up with some lancers (rough riders) was gonna do carapace rough riders for cuirassier as well.

As far as tactics go we are missing close order drill which was key in my list as it actually made it worthwhile to be base to base. I still think vets as skirmishers would work for decent harassing fire, sniper rifles would fit the bill, and then have the conscripts formed up as well so two 50 man squads with two vet squads skirmishing in front would cost oooo.

HQ: banner 60 pts ish

Troops:
    vets with sniper rifle, grenade launcher 80 pts

vets with same as above 80pts

Platoon
    cmd with banner and power sword 50 pts ish
    5 squads with nothing 250 points (used as a single unit)
    50 conscripts 200 points

Fast attack 200 ish points
    Rough ridersx 5
    Rough ridersx 5
    Rough ridersx 8

As far as tactics go you could take objectives with the big units and leave them in line and then the vets could possibly go forward to grab other opbjectives while the rough riders hid and staved off any enemy movement forward.

comes in around 1000 points, I might actually try this need to buy me some more green stuff I think....

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That'd be a great way of playing, just like in the pics of the codex.

Of course you could respectably only do this with mordians (in my opinion)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Just a side note on the "Incoming!" Order.

The wording is: The ordered unit receives +2 to its cover save, rather than the normal bonus. But that this means the squad will not be able to act normally until the end of the players *following* turn.

So you loose this turns shooting, and can't do anything next turn

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

hmmm.......There is the other order from Company Command units, The one that makes one unit "get up" if they are pinned or gone to ground. I'm not sure if you can issue this after you've done "incomming"!!!! But if you could that'd be absolutly horrid.

This i will endevour to find out
    Last edited by Lord Borak; April 12th, 2009 at 09:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

in the following turn's shooting phase, the HQ officer (only) can order "Get Back in the Fight!" to the unit that went to ground and, if passed, that unit will return to normal and be able to shoot and assault as normal... (though can't recieve orders since they already received one that turn)

the problem with "Incoming!" is, the enemy will now know beforehand that the ordered unit has 'gone to ground' before he's bothered trying to shoot them, affecting his tactics in that manner.
    Also, if you want to go the "Get Back in the Fight!" route... then you're using up one of his two orders that turn, which are probably better spent on the other 'senior officer' orders (ie twin-linked weapons or enemy rerolls successful cover saves).
    Last edited by Certs; April 12th, 2009 at 09:51.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by krushkilldestroy View Post
    Of course you could respectably only do this with mordians (in my opinion)
    Or Praetorians at a push.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

sounds like a great idea, maybe backed up with tanks or artillery though, to lob shells over there head.
    We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....

+ Reply to Thread